Help with Bare Minerals

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am still kinda knew here with lots of questions. So I decided try bare minerals. I bought my stuff from QVC. When they advertised it, it looked great on everyone. I bought the dream collection with the tinted mineral veil and summer bisque. I bought the foundation separatley somewhere else. Anyways I don't know what it is...but I really don't like this stuff. It didn't cover really well- I have bad acne scars but not too bad. It looked like I had clumps of powder on my face. I washed my face before hand, and even skipped moisturizer. I followed the directions, swirl tap and buff. I have to be doing something wrong because I have worn makeup since I could remember and this stuff makes me look like a beginner. Does anyone else not like Bare Minerals? What am I doing wrong? Please help.
icon_confused.gif

Sorry you are having problems with it. I still can't decided if I like BE or not.
icon_exclaim.gif

I have read that you should apply lotion first and make sure it has dried before appling BE. The minerals make my pores look so defined, so I have tried putting the mineral veil on first, but that didn't seem to help either.

Good Luck and welcome to MUT!

Originally Posted by pretty_pink13 Hey everyone,I am still kinda knew here with lots of questions. So I decided try bare minerals. I bought my stuff from QVC. When they advertised it, it looked great on everyone. I bought the dream collection with the tinted mineral veil and summer bisque. I bought the foundation separatley somewhere else. Anyways I don't know what it is...but I really don't like this stuff. It didn't cover really well- I have bad acne scars but not too bad. It looked like I had clumps of powder on my face. I washed my face before hand, and even skipped moisturizer. I followed the directions, swirl tap and buff. I have to be doing something wrong because I have worn makeup since I could remember and this stuff makes me look like a beginner. Does anyone else not like Bare Minerals? What am I doing wrong? Please help.
icon_confused.gif

Hi there! I am pretty new to the BE line and have been trying to get the application down pat. One thing you mentioned was that you skipped the moisturizer. I find that I have to use moisturizer and allow it to sink in even before I get started with the minerals. I think that it serves as an anchor for the minerals. I had a heavy hand at first with the brush and it looked terrible. I just use a tiny bit of the minerals-swirl, tap and buff. I build upon that if I need more coverage. It takes a bit to get the hang of it but I find most importantly that buffing/blending is crucial. I am still learning and practicing with the BE and it takes some practice. Maybe try and use a moisturizer and give it time to set.

If you feel like you aren't getting enough coverage, maybe you got the wrong foundation. When I first tried BE, I didn't like it at all. I went back to the store and they told me that I had gotten the wrong foundation. I am not happy with mine and I love it. Been using it for the past 6 months.

My personal feelings are that Bare Minerals are a scam. The brand sells great eye shadows, blush and highlighters,bronzers, lipsticks (that are all being discontinued right now) but that foundation powder is disgusting to me. It makes the pores look larger and the skin appears older and flaky. I have oily skin and I ran into this problem plus cystic acne. I stopped using it and switched to Jane Iredale and everything is great. BE is just too thick. I no longer buy from television commericals.. everything I have bought wasn't what it seemed.

I have oily skin and I tried BE foundation...the powder collected in my oiliest areas and looked terrible.

I think that if you have MINOR blemishes, it works well... if you are trying to cover severe acne, well I dont' think it really will do much for you. I also apply it really lightly at first, then build up to what I want... I find that if I use too much it will look masky. It's ok though if I go easy on it.
wink.gif

Hi! I too found myself watching the Bare minerals infomercial at 2 am and desperately wanted to swirl and tap my face to perfection. I bought the powder and practically clawed through the box when it arrived. Wait, let me back up and say that I have normal to dry skin. I get occasional breakouts and consider my skin to be sensitive. Going forward.......The first time I used the product I spilled half of it on the bathroom floor....tears. I swirled and tapped and applied it to my face. It looked good. I soon changed my mind when my face looked dry and my pores....HUGE!!!! I also had several clogged pores on my chin and cheeks. Some people swear by this stuff, but I can honestly say it was one of the worst things I have ever tried. I curse the infomercial everytime I can't sleep and see it on every channel. But somehow I still get sucked in and so badly want to have it work for me so I can smile and look pretty and swirl and tap my life away......
icon_twisted.gif

Thanks for all your help! I'm glad there are other people out there who dislikes BE. Everyone that I have talked to loves it and swears by it. But I knew that there has to be someone who dislikes it...... and where else would I go to get great advice from? I'm glad I can talk to the people on MUT! Although I don't have huge scars, I have a few here and there but I still feel self concious if I don't cover them up. Since I have only tried BE about 4 times now, I think I will try to put on moisturizer before and then put on BE-I do have oily skin though but I am still going to try a few more times before I decide if its all marketing hype! Thanks for all your suggestions and replies! I really appreciate it and you guys are all so nice! Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

BE didn't work for me either - it dried my skin out (but made it look shiny?!?), made me itch and collected in my pores, making them look huge. Also, it is more work than regular foundation - although, to be fair, I know that some people find it easy as a breeze to apply - and to me it's just not worth it.

I wonder if the application method really is that great for the skin? All that buffing with a brush made my skin really irritated - and I use a really soft squirrel kabuki brush. Maybe I just have very sensitive skin..?

you also have to make sure you're just not using the end of the brush to apply - as you might apply too much. Since the minerals move up the bristles when you 'swirl' - I get better results when I smoosh the brush against my skin, an apply like that (the bristles should look like a big flat circle w/ the handle in the middle.) and just go in circles around your face.
wink.gif

oh god.. i was watching the same dang infomercial.. swirl tap buff! Bull..
icon_twisted.gif

My sister got it.. and while i was visiting she showed me.. hmm. i swirled,.. tapped.. and buffed the heck out of it .. wow. where did ALL THOSE PORES come from? oily? no.. DRIED OUT! yikes! and i am the QUEEN of "thou shalt moisturize daily". I can say i thought i was OK until i went outside.. EEGADS~!
icon_eek.gif

I swirl-tap-buffa-buff my studio fix on and i am happy with that.. No like the BE.. they can keep it.. oh, and my sisters? her BE is in the drawer.. doing nothing..

I think alot of women apply it wrong,but once you get the hang of it and the right color it looks really great.I do think its for minor blemishes.

works for me fine,mac foundation sometimes makes me break out big time!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

hyper real has been good on my skin,so no prob there
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back