Help with blush

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few questions about blushes. How do you determine what color to use? The reason I ask is that I have seen that several people have different color blushes and wanted to know how they decided on that. What influences you to try new colors? I recently bought Nars Orgasm and have Bare Essentuals Glee and Warmth. Too me, those shades are all sort of the same. Do I need to buy more? I guess I am just sort of confused it that makes any sense.

TIA!

Woah, thanks for that info Carina! Marisol, i've always questioned blush too. Most of mine are peachy/corally so i wear those with all eye combo's & i've 2 pink that i wear whenever i do a pink eye. Would love to know more about pairing certain colours though so post all the info ye have girls!

I have never used blush, how do I choose the right color and where do I apply it?

The trick has always been where and how to actually apply it. Here are a few tips from some pros…

"First, invest in a proper brush," advises Bobbi Brown. "The ones you find in compacts just aren't up to the job, and will give you visible brush strokes."

Agree! Also, have the blush brush match the size of your cheeks when you smile. That's the right size brush. It'll apply in the right spot everytime. Usually too big blush brushes make blush go on streaky and to far below the cheekbone.

Don't use blush to create instant cheekbones. The most flattering way to wear blush naturally is to apply it to the "apple" of the cheeks. Locate yours by drawing an imaginary line, down from your pupil, to the center of your cheek. Then lightly blend outwards, towards the top of the ear, covering the entire cheekbone area with soft, sweeping strokes.

True! Contour looks good on photo and tv/film because it's 2 dimensional. In everyday life, it looks to harsh.

What color blush is right for you?

FAIR-SKINNED women should look for beige, tawny-rose, and pink tones.

or any warm toned pink/peach. Like Nar's Orgasm, looks great on lighter skin tones (think Laura Flyn Boyle, she wears it all the time..)

OLIVE/YELLOW-TONED SKINS will find warm-toned browns, plums, and roses most flattering. Examples: Alchemy's "Kola Nut," Cargo's "Lyon" or "Sonoma", Paula Dorf's "Passion."

What about peaches? I don't agree. Think JLow. She looks great when Scott Barnes did her in warm golden, peachy tones. I think plums make olive toned skins look MORE yellow, instead of more golden. no?

DARK-SKINNED women can use rich plum, fuchsia, brick, and bronze shades.

No, it should be warm tones, no? Look at Tyra Banks, think warm, golden, bronzy. Cargo makes this super strong, vivid orange blush (sorry, can't think of the name) and people FREAK when they see it. Apply softly and it's THE most beautiful color on dark / black skin..... To me plum, fuschia, etc. makes dark skin look more blue/gray....

REDHEADS/STAWBERRY BLONDES look best in light bronze, peach and coral shades. Examples: Cargo Blush "Fresno," LORAC's "Peach," Dior's "Creative Coral" or "Natural Apricot."

yes yes yes! beautiful on!!!

Bronzing powders can be substituted for blush in the summer. They are also great dusted around the hairline, on the nose and chin, as well as across the cheekbones, to give you that sun-kissed look. Choose a bronze tone that is right for the depth of your skin. Not too dark or too orange if you are fair.

Examples: Cargo Bronzers, Bourjois' "Poudre de Soleil Bronzers," or Versace Bronzing Powders.

Cargo makes THE best bronzers!!! Beautiful shimmers, sigh. Also, there's a new makeup line in drugstores called St. Tropez, it's the Wet & Wild version for darker skin tones.. cheap, strong pigmented colors. They have this bronzer that's very gold, very shimmery, very orangy.. but it's AMAZING on!!!

My two cents: apply your blush color first, before any other color on your face. the color should make your skin color look warm, glowy, fresh. Not tired, (too much gray in the color) or too bright.. (too hookerish.. is that a word?? lol) If your skin color just glows, it's the right blush color for you. For everyday I try to have my blush color look natural, a flush, pinky/golden/warm peach etc. Then I match my lipstick to what I'm wearing. Eyeshadows are always neutrals, cause i'm in a hurry! LOL

Elke

icon_redface.gif

I usually go peaches, pinks & plum-based nudes. Most of my blushes are pinks b/c that's what works best w/my taste.

I think that everone makes good points! Generally, it seems to me that in the winter, a rosier flush of pink is the way to go, and in the summer a warmer peach or coral looks prettiest. Must be because of the level of sunlight?? Anyway that's what the industry pushes in the mags, and I must say I agree. Of course it does depend on your clothing that day, and I agree you want to coordinate your lip and cheek tones. BTW you said you feel Glee and Warmth are similar shades? I don't know about that...Glee is definetly in the pink family, Warmth is almost rust colored. Have you ever tried mixing them? Actually quite nice!

Now I don't know if you'd ever want to try it, but there's a website called Reflect that will make you a custom shade of anything you want. I bought a blush from them last year; I had been searching for that J.Lo peachy look and everything I tried was wrong. So out of desperation I tried Reflect. Well it came out perfect, I have been wearing it daily for a year! Occasionally I will use BM Glee if I want a cool-toned look. But mainly I use the Reflect. They have you answer lots of questions, to determine what you want the finished result to be: sheer? bold? subtle? matte? shimmer? And they have dozens upon dozens of color swatches and they help you narrow it down till you find the perfect shade. They also guarantee you'll love it or you can send it back on their dime and they'll redo it till you love it. You even get to name it. The blush was $19 for a very generous size, in a beautiful compact, and I felt that was worth it.

Good luck, go be a blushing beauty!
icon_redface.gif

Great info Glam! I'll have to take another look at that! Their palettes look nice!
smile.gif
I usually wear pinks or peaches & sometimes a Bronzer instead. I like MAC blush in "Sunbasque", Ulta blush in "Glow", & Cargo Beach Blush in "Miami Beach"
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have a quick question, what color is "tawny"? I've seen that recommended for fair-skinned people before but I don't know what it is!
confused.gif

I've never worn blush but I'm considering picking some up next time I go shopping to try something new... however I know I'll have to stick to very pale pinks or beiges (or maybe tawnies!) -- anytime I wear a warm-toned lipstick it just looks orange and out of place on my pale, cool skin so I'm sure blush would be the same! (I recently bought a rosy-pink lipstick and it looked orange on my lips even though it didn't look that way in the tube! So now I wear a very pale pink liquid lipstick almost everyday since most of my other colors don't work well on my skin!)

Originally Posted by girl_geek I have a quick question, what color is "tawny"? I've seen that recommended for fair-skinned people before but I don't know what it is!
confused.gif

I've never worn blush but I'm considering picking some up next time I go shopping to try something new... however I know I'll have to stick to very pale pinks or beiges (or maybe tawnies!) -- anytime I wear a warm-toned lipstick it just looks orange and out of place on my pale, cool skin so I'm sure blush would be the same! (I recently bought a rosy-pink lipstick and it looked orange on my lips even though it didn't look that way in the tube! So now I wear a very pale pink liquid lipstick almost everyday since most of my other colors don't work well on my skin!)

Here are a few swatches... it's usually a peach/brown - but as you can see from these... it varies!
tongue.gif
601660_mth.gif
Tawny

blushwarm.gif

Tawny Peach

Maybe I'm odd, but blush is one of those things that I feel I can wear most any color. Maybe it's because my skin is really neutral? I don't know, but I have many different colors blushes (and want tons more!), and if they didn't look good on me, I wouldn't wear them. I guess it's a good thing I can wear all kinds of colors, as I do love blush a lot!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back