Help with color?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was growing up, my hair was always a super pretty blonde. But then, as it always happens, it got darker and darker, so I started highlighting. First I did it myself but that was a gross disaster, haha, so I started getting highlights. Since then it seems like my hairdresser keeps going lighter and lighter and more golden which I'm trying to get away from. I want a more rich blonde that is less golden, so it looks more natural. I can't find any pictures that demonstrate what I mean, though! Can you guys help out? Thanks!

ask her to put in low lights (which are darker highlights) to put more color back in your hair.

is that what you're talking about?

Originally Posted by Liz ask her to put in low lights (which are darker highlights) to put more color back in your hair.
is that what you're talking about?

I think so. But I kind of want to get rid of the majorly light blonde highlights I have now. Can she do an all-color wash and then highlights that aren't as light as the ones I have now? My hair is really thick so I think it would take a while, or be difficult? Do you think that would be super expensive? My hairdresser is great but she's pretty cheap anyway, I get my highlights done for $40, whereas anywhere else in my (Seattle) area would be more expensive.

Wow! $40 for highlights!?! That's a deal!
icon_eek.gif
You're lucky to get a haircut for that price out here! lol You can ask her to do an all-over color... maybe a light caramel, honey, or a med. - to - dark blonde. Since your hair is highlighted, after it oxidizes, you may see a few pieces lighten up where the highlights were, but nothing to the extreme as what it sounds like you have now. If you can, look through magazines for pictures of the color you are looking for. A picture is so much easier for your stylist to go by than a description. Your idea of 'honey' might not be the same as hers... and a picture will get you both on the same page...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Wow! $40 for highlights!?! That's a deal!
icon_eek.gif
You're lucky to get a haircut for that price out here! lol You can ask her to do an all-over color... maybe a light caramel, honey, or a med. - to - dark blonde. Since your hair is highlighted, after it oxidizes, you may see a few pieces lighten up where the highlights were, but nothing to the extreme as what it sounds like you have now. If you can, look through magazines for pictures of the color you are looking for. A picture is so much easier for your stylist to go by than a description. Your idea of 'honey' might not be the same as hers... and a picture will get you both on the same page...
smile.gif
Thanks! I do have one picture in mind which is pretty good(Molly Sims on the cover of the August Lucky). It might help to find a few more though I guess? I'm not sure I just want an all-over color, I think I might feel too bland or something! Can you put highlights on top of just-colored hair or would that totally kill it? And yeah, I know that $40 is cheap! haha, especially compared to New York! I think my sweet hairdresser might give me a "student" discount just because she's so nice. Thanks for your help!

is this more like you are looking for?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=21>
head_tech_correct.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#000000 height=1>
spacer.gif
</TD><SCRIPT> if (!window.printable) { document.write('<tr><td border="0" align="left">studio/images/spacer.gifstudio/images/print_icon.jpg</td></tr>'); } </SCRIPT></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom height=16><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=2>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=180 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=115>
tech_correct.jpg

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=380>What is Correct Me?A simply beautiful technique to correct an over-lightened blonde by creating dimension.

What products do you use?

Clairol Professional Second Nature No-Lift Color and Clairol Professional lightener.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=495 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
title_studio_tech.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>

How do you do it?

Step 1:

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width=8>
bulet-green.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=479 height=25>Create a circular section at the crown of the head.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right colSpan=2 height=10>.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right colSpan=2>Step 2:

bulet-green.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=479 height=25>Using lightener, place foils in a vertical pattern around the head, just below the circular crown section.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2 height=10>.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=genericHeavy vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2 height=10>Step 3:

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>
bulet-green.gif

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left height=25>While foils are processing, apply a deeper Second Nature formula to all hair beneath the circular section and the free hair in-between foils.

Process up to 30 minutes.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=495 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left height=25>http://www.clairolpro.com/studio/images/correct_ill.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2 height=23> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally Posted by Blondtgr When I was growing up, my hair was always a super pretty blonde. But then, as it always happens, it got darker and darker, so I started highlighting. First I did it myself but that was a gross disaster, haha, so I started getting highlights. Since then it seems like my hairdresser keeps going lighter and lighter and more golden which I'm trying to get away from. I want a more rich blonde that is less golden, so it looks more natural. I can't find any pictures that demonstrate what I mean, though! Can you guys help out? Thanks!

No...that's not what I'm looking for, sorry. Maybe I'm explaining this super badly? The hair color I want is like Molly Sims on the cover of this month's Lucky, a nice, rich dark blonde with slightly lighter highlights throughout. I couldn't find the picture but if you go to luckymag.com you'll see a smaller picture. I just want a more natural looking color(but I don't want it to be all one color). Right now, my natural hair color is way underneath and it's dark blonde/light brown/reddish tinted and then I have blonde highlights that seemed to be getting blonder and blonder and it just looks really unnatural now(eyebrows are a dead giveaway, too).

Well, if you do a darker blonde, it might seem "all over" at first, but after it starts to oxidize, you will see some parts lightening up... I would wait at least until that happens before you highlight it again - it is always good to wait for it to 'end' before doing something else - as it can alter the color if it still hasn't oxidezed...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Well, if you do a darker blonde, it might seem "all over" at first, but after it starts to oxidize, you will see some parts lightening up... I would wait at least until that happens before you highlight it again - it is always good to wait for it to 'end' before doing something else - as it can alter the color if it still hasn't oxidezed...
wink.gif
Interesting...how fast does it oxidize? and will it look like I have roots when it does this? Because that would be really really bad. I'm getting this done right before I go back to school and I need something that is going to look good because I have rush and I have to look good for my sorority. Plus, I won't have a chance to do much with my hair(unless I do it myself which I don't ever want to attempt again) until Thanksgiving...so...I'm kind of at a loss for what I should do.

Originally Posted by ciphersnow One of the best ways to change the color so its even all over is to have a filler put on. That way you wont have a lot of fadeage in some spots more than others. The filler will even out the tone so when you have the shade you want put on it will all be the same. I do a LOT of corrective color and this is really the best way to do it. It can be done all in the same day. You can even have the filler put on then an all over color and even highlights or lowlights after. I have done this process many, many times. At my salon we charge about $70-$85 for the whole thing. So what exactly is a filler? I'm not sure if I have enough time in my appointment for that, because it takes forever to even trim my hair since it's so thick. This is all so confusing because I know nothing about hair. Haha.

[<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=180 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=116>
tech_power.jpg

New icon of style, created by Sharon Durham.

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=382>What is Power Blonde?The Power Blonde technique is perfect for clients with darker skin tones. It uses the hair's natural melanin to create this burnished red and copper dimensional look.

What products do you use?

Miss Clairol Conditioning Color, BW2 Dedusted Powder Lightener, Second Nature No-Lift Color.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=495 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
title_studio_tech.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Step 1: Create the canvas.

bulet-green.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=479 height=25>Use a cool-based permanent color applied in a virgin application to lighten the base while counteracting contributing pigment. Try 2 oz. Miss Clairol 32D, Moonhaze, with 1 oz. 36D Moonlit Brown with 3 oz. 30-volume developer.

OR try Complements Permanent Gel Color: 2-1/2 oz.6A, Dark Ash Blonde mixed with ½ oz. 4A, Light Ash Brown and 3 oz. 20-volume developer.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right colSpan=2 height=10>

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right colSpan=2>Step 2: Create dimension.

bulet-green.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=479 height=25>Use BW2 Dedusted Powder Lightener mixed with 20-volume developer to desired consistency. Foil, concentrating the lightness around the hairline, and less lightening around the crown. Rinse, shampoo and towel-dry thoroughly.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2 height=10>.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2 height=10>

Step 3: Add color glaze.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left height=10>
bulet-green.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left height=10>Add a wash of color over the whole head. Try 1-1/2 oz. Second Nature 136N, Light Natural Blonde and ½ oz. 141RO, Strawberry Blonde mixed with 2 oz. 10-volume developer.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>QUOTE=Blondtgr]When I was growing up, my hair was always a super pretty blonde. But then, as it always happens, it got darker and darker, so I started highlighting. First I did it myself but that was a gross disaster, haha, so I started getting highlights. Since then it seems like my hairdresser keeps going lighter and lighter and more golden which I'm trying to get away from. I want a more rich blonde that is less golden, so it looks more natural. I can't find any pictures that demonstrate what I mean, though! Can you guys help out? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back