Here's What to Eat When You're Feeling Bad

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be great if you had your own personal pharmacy at home? Well, you do. It’s called your fridge. Certain foods can help cure what ails you. So here’s what to eat when you’re feeling bad, courtesy of Quick and Simple magazine.

If you have allergies: Stock up on apples and berries – unless, of course, you’re allergic to them! They contain a compound that stops your body from releasing histamine – a chemical your body produces when you’re having an allergic reaction. Also, load up on tuna and salmon. They’re rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to reduce the swelling and inflammation that often accompany an allergic attack.

If you toss and turn at night: Add turkey, eggs, and almonds to your grocery list. All of those contain tryptophan, an amino acid that your body converts to melatonin – which is a hormone that makes you feel tired. You’ll fall asleep even faster if you combine a tryptophan-rich food with some complex carbs – like whole-grain crackers or low-fat yogurt. Why? Because the carbs help speed the tryptophan to your brain.

If you feel depressed: Snack on spinach, lentils, and peas. They’re loaded with folate – a “B†vitamin that people suffering from depression often lack. However, skip the aspartame – you’ll find it in sweeteners like Equal or NutraSweet. It can cause a drop in the feel-good hormone serotonin.

Anxiety. Ease jitters by eating tomatoes and strawberries. Their Vitamin C content helps inhibit production of the stress hormone cortisol. Go easy on the coffee. One or two cups is fine. Too much joe will make you feel even more jittery.

Very helpful! Thanks Ricci
smile.gif

ummm.. they forgot the most important food.. chocolate.. always makes me feel better...

Those are great... didn't see chocolate listed, the universal pick-me-upper!! lol

Originally Posted by xQueen0fHeartsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Spinach lentils and peas? hmm not usually what i'd go for if im depressed :/ haha! the thought of it is depressing!
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin oil also have tryptophan in them. They also seem to help with anxiety as well. Raspberries also are good for calming a person. I pretty much eat a raw foods diet more or less, and I do have to say that ever since I started making those changes, I feel a lot better mentally. I have this book called "Eating for Beauty" by David Wolfe, and it talks about how food basically makes us beautiful inside and out. How certain foods have qualities that enhance our beauty, but by feeling good, the whole world sees we are happy and that makes us beautiful. The guy really knows a lot about the science of food and which foods you should be eating. So even if you aren't into raw foods, I highly recommend it.

well apparently, I could do with some peas and lentils, as well as some tomatoes??? mm.. peas...
biggrin.gif

but I agree, definately chocolate should be on that list

Dang- there goes my self medication of choice for feeling bummed- a big frosty Diet Pepsi.

Latest posts

Back