Hi - and flat iron advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm Rachel from New York, and I've been really enjoying visiting this site for quite a while (which, by the way, is not good for my work productivity). I know there have been a bunch of threads about flat irons, but I am really on the fence about which one to get. I have a lot of pretty thin, straight colored/highlighted hair, but it frizzes up at the first sign of moisture. I've tried lots of different products - serums, FF glossing cream, spray shines, control freak (reading this board hasn't been that great for my wallet, either
icon_cheesygrin.gif
), and they help, but I still get frizzy/puffy. I was all set to replace my cheap Conair with the Chi, but it looks like some people much prefer the Sedu, and now the T3 has gotten thrown into the mix. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether one of these is any better than the others? Thanks so much for your help!

Originally Posted by Rachnnn Hi everyone! I'm Rachel from New York, and I've been really enjoying visiting this site for quite a while (which, by the way, is not good for my work productivity). I know there have been a bunch of threads about flat irons, but I am really on the fence about which one to get. I have a lot of pretty thin, straight colored/highlighted hair, but it frizzes up at the first sign of moisture. I've tried lots of different products - serums, FF glossing cream, spray shines, control freak (reading this board hasn't been that great for my wallet, either
icon_cheesygrin.gif
), and they help, but I still get frizzy/puffy. I was all set to replace my cheap Conair with the Chi, but it looks like some people much prefer the Sedu, and now the T3 has gotten thrown into the mix. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether one of these is any better than the others? Thanks so much for your help! Hi Rach! I really don't use flat irons... but I guess the CHI is a decent one (from what I hear - go with the original, not the turbo) The T3 gets really hot, and the whole thing heats up... not just the plates. Which is good if you want to curl the ends, but you just don't want to grab onto it!!! lol I know most people have a habit of holding it at each end... but the T3 - different story... no can do! lol I think it's a little too expensive for a flat iron... IMO, but it's up to you
wink.gif
I think the Chi is good for basic straightening.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

check out www.folica.com they have a ton of flat irons and lots of reviews for them.

the best reviewed one is the sedu. i got that one and i like it
smile.gif

The CHI is the BEST purchase I have EVER MADE!!

It flat irons my hair pin straight-- it also curls!! Its a great product and I highly recommend it, you won't regret it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I love my Ionity Steam Flat Iron from National.

Welcome to MUT Rachel
smile.gif

I bought the T3 awhile back and I'm not happy with it,I've had heaps of hair break of even on the lower temperature. My remington didnt do that to me and that was HEAPS cheaper! The remington gave me split ends though.

Am thinking of trying the sedu but dont know because I got sucked in to buying the T3 by reading positive reviews.

I heard someone else say on another forum they had same problem with T3 and that its taken months for their hair to recover but hey what works for one person dosent for another.

Originally Posted by saffrony I bought the T3 awhile back and I'm not happy with it,I've had heaps of hair break of even on the lower temperature. My remington didnt do that to me and that was HEAPS cheaper! The remington gave me split ends though.Am thinking of trying the sedu but dont know because I got sucked in to buying the T3 by reading positive reviews.

I heard someone else say on another forum they had same problem with T3 and that its taken months for their hair to recover but hey what works for one person dosent for another.

Sorry to hear that Saffrony - I honestly don't know enough people that have used the T3 to get a good review on it. But from testing it out at a hair show I went to... I wasn't impressed. Like I said, I really don't use flat irons - but I have a larger ( about 3") and smaller (1 1/8" I think) iron by Remmington (Wet 2 Straight) - they're ceramic, teflon coated - and fine for what I would ever use em' for.
wink.gif
If your old iron gave you split ends, you would definitely want to use a heat protectant spray, and also keep up on your trims. You shouldn't really let an iron 'linger' on the ends too long... thats where the hair is dryest - so it suffers the most damage. Since it's the usually the most porous part of your hair - you tend not to need much time to straighten it
wink.gif

I've heard loads of good things about the CHI flat iron, especially on African American hair boards which means that they have the power to get any type straight, but apparently a convertor can't be used and they only work in the USA or Canada.
icon_cry.gif

Liz, are you still liking the sedu iron? Am undecided whether to buy or not.

So many good reviews its tempting. I find its not till I'm using a straightener for awhile do I find out whether its good or not so it would be good to hear from someone whos been using it for awhile
icon_biggrin.gif

I have to look into it further because they sell them in Sally's in the UK and we have a different wattage so there must be either a different version or adaptor compatible.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I figured I'd post an update - I tried the T3 but my hair kept getting caught in it (which never happened with my cheapo Conair). I also didn't think it did anything special straightening-wise. So I returned it to Sephora and ordered the Chi. I really like it - my hair is definitely smoother longer than it was with the Conair. I'm still curious about the Sedu though (awful - I'm never convinced I got the right thing, which is why I have thousands of straightening products!).

Originally Posted by Rachnnn Thanks everyone for all your help! I figured I'd post an update - I tried the T3 but my hair kept getting caught in it (which never happened with my cheapo Conair). I also didn't think it did anything special straightening-wise. So I returned it to Sephora and ordered the Chi. I really like it - my hair is definitely smoother longer than it was with the Conair. I'm still curious about the Sedu though (awful - I'm never convinced I got the right thing, which is why I have thousands of straightening products!). LOL - Join the club!
wink.gif
Well, I just have tons of hair products in general lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

all this talk about CHI and I soooooo want to get the 1" irons and the hair dryer - but i'm in Europe so I guess I have no chance of getting them - anyone know of any sites that ship to Europe (apart from Ebay)? Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by juliet1985 all this talk about CHI and I soooooo want to get the 1" irons and the hair dryer - but i'm in Europe so I guess I have no chance of getting them - anyone know of any sites that ship to Europe (apart from Ebay)? Thanks
smile.gif
You might want to check out Laura's notepad... I think she has a list of places that ship to Europe
smile.gif

Has anyone used the sedu iron for a good amount of time? I would really like to know the long term quality of it because I'am seriously considering buying it. I'm undecided, it's rated the best on folica.com so...... I'm pretty tempted.

I'm debating on Sedu over CHI myself now... I'm hearing a lot more about Sedu than CHI.... It also seems cheaper with better ratings...

Latest posts

Back