Hi, Im new here and need a miracle.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I'm 37 years old and feel I look a lot older. My mum died suddenly last year and I feel it has really aged me. I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts and enlarged pores. I think my face looks like a patchy, dull wrinkly mess and is starting to sag. Would glycolic peels help? Can anyone give me some advice as I cant afford a face lift
icon_confused.gif

Hi! Welcome to Mut! I'm Liz from California.

Sorry to hear about your mom
frown.gif
The only thing I would suggest is seeing a dermatologist as they would tell you what products would work for you.

i'm so sorry for your loss.

DERMALOGICA TREATMENT FOR NORMAL/COMBINATION SKIN

1. REMOVE EYE MAKE-UP AND LIPSTICK WITH SOOTHING EYE MAKEUP REMOVER ON DAMP COTTON PADS.
2. CLEANSE THE SKIN TWICE WITH SPECIAL CLEANSING GEL AND BOTANICAL MIXER UNDER STEAM.

3. SKIN PREP SCRUB WITH CALMING AND/OR PURIFYING MIXER CAN BE MIXED IN THE SECOND CLEANSING.4. APPLY PURIFYING BOTANICAL MIXER

5. APPLY SKIN REFINING MASK OR SKIN MOISTURIZING MASK FOR 7 MINUTES

6. APPLY MULTI ACTIVE TONER

7. APPLY BOTANICAL MIXER AND SKIN SOOTHING CREAM

8. APPLY MULTIVITAMIN POWER FIRM OVER THE EYE AND LIP AREAS.

Originally Posted by kewl Hi, I'm new here. I'm 37 years old and feel I look a lot older. My mum died suddenly last year and I feel it has really aged me. I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts and enlarged pores. I think my face looks like a patchy, dull wrinkly mess and is starting to sag. Would glycolic peels help? Can anyone give me some advice as I cant afford a face lift
icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted by kewl

Hi, I'm new here. I'm 37 years old and feel I look a lot older. My mum died suddenly last year and I feel it has really aged me. I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts and enlarged pores. I think my face looks like a patchy, dull wrinkly mess and is starting to sag. Would glycolic peels help? Can anyone give me some advice as I cant afford a face lift
icon_confused.gif

Hi! Welcome to Makeuptalk! I'm Tony from California.
Sorry to hear about your mom
frown.gif

Hi, welcome to MUT.

I'm sorry for your loss
frown.gif

Agree with Liz, I think you should see Dermatologist to help you choose products that's best for your skin type. They also will recommend you what type of treatment that will help your skin.

The only thing that I can advice is to never skip moisturizer with UV sunblock/sunscreen built-in for day time and night lotion/cream for bedtime. It will do a lot of help for the skin, specially to prevent future wrinkles.

Naturally(Kim) or other members will give you more good advice for your skin problems.

Feel better..

Hey Kewl... I'm Janelle from NY. Nice to meet you!
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your mom, I'm sure it has taken a toll on you in a number of ways, but as far as perking up the skin - I like Dermanew microdermabrasion... but anything more drastic (like acid peels etc.) I would see a derm.
icon_wink.gif

Hi and welcome to MakeupTalk! I'm sorry to hear about your mom. As far as your skin goes you might want to check out Clarins. They sell it at department stores. They are very generous with samples at the counter so that you can try the line if you like. I have a sensitive combination skin prone to blackheads and this line has helped me tremendously. They also have a line for preventing and also a line for treating existing wrinkles. I love the One Step exfoliating cleanser for morning use and cleansing milk for night time. The cleansing milk takes some time to get used because it's applied differently but once you get used it it's way worth it. Hope your skin will get better soon!

Welcomt to MUT. I am Marisol from San Francisco and I look forward to getting to know you. Sorry for you loss.

Hi Kewl! Welcome to MuT, we're glad you are here.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

It's scary how stress can affect us physically both on the inside and outside. No doubt a parent's death is one of the hardest things to go through, ever. I'm so glad you've healed enough to start thinking about YOU again! That's gotta be a good sign. I am 32 and first saw myself aging noticeably when I was 27, after the birth of child #3. Not that I was stressed in a bad way...but stressed nonetheless! It was all about putting myself last and everyone else's needs before mine...and I bet you have been doing that too. So, I would suggest that you take on an attitude of nurturing your skin and treating it gently. Think of it as caring for it and giving it what it needs, rather than punishing it for being "bad".
wink.gif
You just might make your spirit feel a little better as you take time for yourself--you're worth it after all! A peel would probably be an excellent starting point to a new skin care regimen. It should lessen the appearance of your pores, lessen or eliminate fine lines, and refine the overall texture. I don't think it can do much in the way of firming or eliminating sag. If you can't afford a derm, there are many at-home alternatives that I have heard/read are really good. Then you can maintain the results with daily skin care at home. Be sure to browse the MuT Review Center for member's opinions on specific brands.

Look for products with antioxidants, vitamins, peptides, copper, soy, essential oils and herbs are a plus IMO...and there's the old standbys Retinol and AHA's but be careful they aren't too strong. (You can always increase strength as you go, as your skin adjusts) And if you still aren't as radiant or breakout-free as you'd like to be...cover it! Go to a department store counter, get a free makeup lesson and invest in some basic high-quality products. Maybe get your eyebrows reshaped by a pro. Highlighting certain parts of your face will detract from the not so good, right? Even if you already wear MU and think you know what you're doing, getting a lesson will give you a fresh perspective and new techniques. You might walk out looking 10 years younger!

If sagging has really got you down, (and surgery isn't an option) why not do something temporary like one of those masks that tighten your face for 8 hours or those adhesive things that pull the skin smooth? Sounds cheesy but, I mean what the heck, why not? No matter how much a cream claims to tighten and firm, they really can't do much. Without surgery, you have to get creative!
tongue.gif
Or how about facial excercises/toning? I think there might be some credibility to it...

Sorry this turned into a novel, I didn't mean to go on so long.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I'm now looking at all the different products that contain glycolic acid. I'm fighting a vicious circle at the moment of drying my skin out stop breakouts and then using anti aging products which are causing breakouts
icon_rolleyes.gif
I know I'm doing the wrong thing and need to really find the right products for me. I'm going to look at my diet too! Thanks again. I'm feeling a lot more positive now have found this site. I will read through some reviews and see what I find.

hi kewl! i'm monnie from michigan. i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. life can really knock us around sometimes. you might want to schedule a day of rejuvenation for yourself. call a local spa and schedule a facial and massage. a good esthetician can give you advice about your skin and a regime that you can use daily to improve your skin. i know that it may not seem like it right now, but everyday you're closer to healing.

Originally Posted by kewl Hi, I'm new here. I'm 37 years old and feel I look a lot older. My mum died suddenly last year and I feel it has really aged me. I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts and enlarged pores. I think my face looks like a patchy, dull wrinkly mess and is starting to sag. Would glycolic peels help? Can anyone give me some advice as I cant afford a face lift
icon_confused.gif

icon_redface.gif
Hi, thanks to everyone for advice. I went shopping today and came back empty handed. I'm on quite a tight budget and need everything! I guess I need to prioritize and a good cleanser and oil free moisturizer with a good SPF(if such a thing exists) would be first on the list. Can anyone give me any recommendations. The Ph solutions look great but are a little too expensive at the moment. I would like the cleanser to have glycolic acid in it. Also, any recommendations for a microdermabrasion kit. Sorry if I'm being cheeky asking for recommendations but my head is whirling with all the products out there and I have wasted so much money in the past.

Latest posts

Back