Hi there - here for DIY wedding make-up info

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't afford to have both my hair and make-up professionally done, and I have more experience with the latter, so I am on my own for that. But most of what I've done is for the stage, not for the camera. I don't want the typical natural, girl-next-door bride make-up look because I see this as a special day for me to be remembered at my most glamorous and gorgeous, not just a more polished version of my everyday look.

Welcome to MakeUpTAlk Ayacalypso! I'm Laura from Ireland. Maybe you should check out the FOTD forum (Face Of the Day) and also the Tutorials sub-forum for some ideas. The girls post pics in both those forums so you might find something there that catches your eye!

Other than that, let us know your colouring (hair, eyes, skin tone etc..), fave colours etc.. and i'm sure we'll come up with a look for you!

Hello Ayacalypso,Welcome to MuT. I am Pauline from Bonny Scotland
wink.gif

I am sure you will come up with a look that's just right for you on your wedding day. Have fun and Good Luck
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso

I can't afford to have both my hair and make-up professionally done, and I have more experience with the latter, so I am on my own for that. But most of what I've done is for the stage, not for the camera. I don't want the typical natural, girl-next-door bride make-up look because I see this as a special day for me to be remembered at my most glamorous and gorgeous, not just a more polished version of my everyday look.

Welcome to Makeuptalk Ayacalypso!

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso I can't afford to have both my hair and make-up professionally done, and I have more experience with the latter, so I am on my own for that. But most of what I've done is for the stage, not for the camera. I don't want the typical natural, girl-next-door bride make-up look because I see this as a special day for me to be remembered at my most glamorous and gorgeous, not just a more polished version of my everyday look. Hi Ayacalypso-
I agree with you that your makeup should stand out. There is also one thing to consider and that is color choice. Your pictures will be admired and framed on your walls for the rest of your married life so the last thing you want is to look at your pictures ten years from now and say "why did I wear bright orange eyeshadow?" You don't want to look too trendy. (remember some of those 80's brides?...lol)

You definitely want your makeup to be applied so that it makes you stand out though and not only because you want to stand out but also because the camera washes people and colors out. You can still get a really glamourous pretty look all while using neutral colors.

Here are some tips and frequently used colors for bridal looks:

-mauves, violets

-pinks (usually shimmery pastels)

-browns

-Grey's

-champagnes

-beiges

Tips:

-invest in a good quality foundation that matches your skin to perfection. (it's worth the money) you want a flawless look. Get help at the counter if needed.

-invest in a good liquid liner which will last way better than pencils. (Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, MAC fluidlines, Stila Smudge pots)

-Invest in sealers and eyeshadow primers to give lasting power to your makeup.

-a good waterproof mascara will be your best friend that day.

- consider your eyebrows as the frame for your eyes. Get them groomed and if they are on the thin side, you might want to fill them in softly on your big day with a pencil or brow powder.

- In my personal and professional opinion it is better to choose a lip color that isn't too subtle because you want that "pop" of color to give your face life in the pictures.

This all depends on your coloring and also hair color and style for the big day.

Your best bet is to play around with a few possible looks and take pictures to see what works for you.

Just remember that the flash of the camera will reflect off the shimmer big time, so if you over do it, you'll end up looking like disco Barbie and not like a glowing bride. A little goes a long way.

You can pm me if you want!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have trained many brides to do their bridal makeup themselves. I always suggest a look that is soft, simple and classic. A refreshed and rested you! Here a few of the tips I give my beautiful brides......

NO SUNSCREEN!!! You face will appear white in photos.

Soft, Matte Shadows look best in photo's. Shimmer can be a little garish.

Wear a little more than you would normally to avoid looking washed out in all that white.

Use a highlighter like HighBeam to make your cheeks glow.

Lipstain might be your bestfriend. You will NOT want to keep reapplying your lipstick or gloss.

SHE-LAQ!!!! The brides must-have. A clear sealant that waterproofs mascara, brows, eyeliner and lipliner.

Good Luck!!!! And Congratulations
claps.gif

Welcome to MUT, Ayacalypso! I actually joined this site for my wedding -- I never wore much makeup before I got engaged, but when I started experimenting around with mu for the wedding, I was hooked
wink.gif
However I did a more natural look for my wedding: brown eyeshadows (to make my blue eyes pop) and a pink lip. Since I never wear bold mu, I didn't want to look like a completely different person on my wedding day, I just wanted a prettier version of me!
smile.gif
So I'm not sure if I can recommend colors for you, but I can certainly recommend some products!

Since it sounds like you're on a limited budget, here's a few drugstore products I recommend, you can experiment with what colors you like best! (Because if you go out and buy a whole bunch of department store makeup, then you might as well pay for a professional makeup artist! lol)

• L'Oreal Endless 8-Hour Liquid Lipcolor -- I wore this in Forever Blushing (a pale pink) at my own wedding! It's a liquid lipstick so it stays a little shiny like a gloss, but doesn't dry out your lips like a lipstick. You'll need to reapply after you eat or kiss
    wink.gif
    but otherwise it lasts a long time -- I only reapplied once, in between pictures and the ceremony!
  • CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder -- I've tried several department store and drugstore brands of loose powder, and this is THE only powder that keeps my oily skin matte. I wish I would have discovered it before the wedding so I wouldn't have had to keep applying powder for the pictures! Plus it's only $5!
  • Milani eyeshadows -- department store quality at only $3 each!
    biggrin.gif
  • Mod Cosmetics Eyeshadows (www.modcosmetics.com) -- I haven't tried them but I've heard they're another great quality eyeshadow at drugstore prices. However it seems to take them a month or so to ship the products!
  • Maybelline waterproof mascaras -- the one I wore at my wedding is now discontinued, but I also like Sky High Curves for lengthening and Full n Soft for a more natural look. These will last all day even if you cry, no problem!
  • Jordanna eyeliners -- great quality for $2 or less each! A random tip for eyeliners: I have very deep set eyes and even my eyeliner will crease in an hour without a base, but I've discovered that if I apply a layer of loose face powder on my lid (and make sure to get it all the way to the lashline) my pencil eyeliners will last all day without smudging at all! And this works for every brand of eyeliner or powder I've tried!
Being a poor graduate student I use all the drugstore makeup I can, so let me know if you have other questions, I might have tried a product you're wondering about!
The other girls gave some great tips too!

When are you getting married? If you've got time, just do lots of experimenting with colors and techniques until you find something you like! (That's what I did!) Congrats and good luck!
biggrin.gif

Welcome Ayacalypso! I'm Janelle from NY - glad to have you here!
wink.gif

Maybe you can do more of a smoky look?? - that never seems to go out of style
wink.gif

Welcome to MUT and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Here are some facecharts and make up recommendations from MAC.

marie_390.jpg

marie_look.jpg

anne_390.jpg

anne_look.jpg

louisa_390.jpg

louisa_look.jpg

Hm, I reread my original post and I think I sounded a little mean, like I was trying to insult you for wanting a bolder look than I had at my wedding. That certainly wasn't my intent, so I went back and edited my post to convey my thoughts a little better!
smile.gif

Wow! I had no idea that I would get so much helpful advice on my first post here! Girl_geek, I didn't get to read your original "mean" post, so I can't say if I thought it was mean though - I DO want a bold look, but not a trendy one. I've never really been a trendy sort.

So, since you are all so eager to help, I'll elaborate more (be prepared, I can get wordy!)

Coloring - no idea if I am "warm" or "cool." I always thought I was warm, but my daily shade of blush (Clinque "new clover" [cool, I think]- probably discontinued - it always happens) and lipstick (L'Oreal Endless lipstick in "perfect plum" [cool, I think because it goes well with my purple eyeshadows, but maybe it's a warm mauve?] are colors I would consider cool, and I've worn shades like these for years because I've always thought they look the most natural on me. The "perfect plum" is actually only a shade or so darker than my natural lip color and the same tone, which is pretty pale and a grayish-mauve [cool] (this is why I wear lipstick as my primary make-up item, btw). Maybe these are really warm or neutral shades though and I am mistaken. My hair is naturally light brown, prone to warm blonde highlights [warm] back in my suntanning days, which are over, but I dye it now. It's usually some shade of medium auburn to a gold strawberry blonde [warm] (which is probably what it will be for my wedding, because I think it looks the best on me). My eyes are very dark brown [warm], practically black. I'm of half-Mediterranean (Turkish) decent, but since I stopped tanning, I am rather of fair-skinned, and get red in the face easily (either heat, excitement, blushing - I always thought this was a characteristic of cool skin tones [cool]). I burn easily now-days (birth control pills until the past 6 months, and now Retin-A and minocycline for the acne that came when I stopped the pills), but I used to tan dark, dark, dark as a kid and into my teens. I could probably still be dark, if I went about it slowly and carefully, but I think the fairskin is what enables me to pull off the reddish hair so well. *I* think silver looks better on me than gold [cool, right?], and the only colors I don't feel I wear well are oranges [warm]. Actually I don't wear peach either, although I think the color looks good on me, I get lost in it - in other words, it blends with my skin tone too well, and makes me feel like I am naked [so this is warm, right?];-)

OK, so I'm going to be a bold bride, so of course, I am not wearing white ;-) it's my second wedding and I wanted to wear a color that I loved, not a color that was expected of me (this is the way I am). So, my gown is a deep, glowing wine-red color (train and all), which really looks good with my fair skin and my hair when it is at it's strawberry-blondish color. I've already decided that I want to wear my usual daily blush and lipstick because these colors go well with the gown and I am comfortable with them. I'm still experimenting with foundations and I won't go into that now. But I want dark, colorful, dramatic eyes in a fall palette. I'd love a deep wine color, maybe a plum liner (having trouble finding a good dark, warm color though), with some gold, but I am aware of the problem with shimmery make up and camera flashes. So, I love that gold MAC pic you posted, Marisol, and I wear gold and coppery eyes when I go out sometimes, but I don't think it will go over well with photography. Maybe if I keep the shadow off of my brow bones like MAC did, and use a wine in the crease....? Anyway, I've noticed that anytime there is a picture taken of me wearing eye shadow, my brow bones HEAVILY reflect the light and make them look shiny, wet, or silver, no matter what color (I plan to make another post about this and my other eye make up problems elsewhere though). So, I'd like either an entirely matte eye look, or a look with shimmer only on the lids. My eyes are VERY deep set by the way, so I find I have a hard time getting the crease colors to show up and I don't use liner or color on my lower lids (except a touch at the outer corner) because I have creases there that collect the stuff and make me look old ;-).

I also know that my eyes are my strongest feature, so I really want to play them up. So, OK, here's a weird story:

When I was younger (about 10 years ago, I'm 31 now), I somehow had some sort of mersmerizing way with my eyes that has since dried up ;-) Men would stop mid-sentence, forget what they were saying and just say "I'm sorry, your eyes are so...". It had actually happened to me several times in one year for some weird reason, so it couldn't have been just a fluke, and deliberately used this to my advantage more than once. At the time, I thought it was because of this new lipstick I had been wearing (it was Revlon Color Stay in "sienna," the color of which just seemed to compliment the color of my eyes in a way that made the stand out more. I would still wear it today didn't feel so yucky compared to the L'Oreal Endless (and their closest color match ("extreme spice", just isn't the same). Maybe it had nothing to do with the lipstick, but I can't remember what mascara I wore back then, and I can't even remember if I wore eyeliner. It was like I accidentally got splashed with some sort of Love Potion #9 for eyes and didnt know it. I absolutely have no idea what I was doing at the time to cause this strange reaction, but I want to re-discover it again! At least if only for my wedding day, you know?

So, the whole eye thing and trying to find a foundation look that will stay pretty with my new super-oily sensitive skin are my bit wedding day make-up dilemas. I'm fine with the lips, cheeks, eyebrows, hair stuff.

By the way, I love these boards, and everyone seems so friendly! I hope I haven't worn out my welcome already with this long post ;(

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso Wow! I had no idea that I would get so much helpful advice on my first post here! Girl_geek, I didn't get to read your original "mean" post, so I can't say if I thought it was mean though - I DO want a bold look, but not a trendy one. I've never really been a trendy sort.
So, since you are all so eager to help, I'll elaborate more (be prepared, I can get wordy!)

Coloring - no idea if I am "warm" or "cool." I always thought I was warm, but my daily shade of blush (Clinque "new clover" [cool, I think]- probably discontinued - it always happens) and lipstick (L'Oreal Endless lipstick in "perfect plum" [cool, I think because it goes well with my purple eyeshadows, but maybe it's a warm mauve?] are colors I would consider cool, and I've worn shades like these for years because I've always thought they look the most natural on me. The "perfect plum" is actually only a shade or so darker than my natural lip color and the same tone, which is pretty pale and a grayish-mauve [cool] (this is why I wear lipstick as my primary make-up item, btw). Maybe these are really warm or neutral shades though and I am mistaken. My hair is naturally light brown, prone to warm blonde highlights [warm] back in my suntanning days, which are over, but I dye it now. It's usually some shade of medium auburn to a gold strawberry blonde [warm] (which is probably what it will be for my wedding, because I think it looks the best on me). My eyes are very dark brown [warm], practically black. I'm of half-Mediterranean (Turkish) decent, but since I stopped tanning, I am rather of fair-skinned, and get red in the face easily (either heat, excitement, blushing - I always thought this was a characteristic of cool skin tones [cool]). I burn easily now-days (birth control pills until the past 6 months, and now Retin-A and minocycline for the acne that came when I stopped the pills), but I used to tan dark, dark, dark as a kid and into my teens. I could probably still be dark, if I went about it slowly and carefully, but I think the fairskin is what enables me to pull off the reddish hair so well. *I* think silver looks better on me than gold [cool, right?], and the only colors I don't feel I wear well are oranges [warm]. Actually I don't wear peach either, although I think the color looks good on me, I get lost in it - in other words, it blends with my skin tone too well, and makes me feel like I am naked [so this is warm, right?];-)

OK, so I'm going to be a bold bride, so of course, I am not wearing white ;-) it's my second wedding and I wanted to wear a color that I loved, not a color that was expected of me (this is the way I am). So, my gown is a deep, glowing wine-red color (train and all), which really looks good with my fair skin and my hair when it is at it's strawberry-blondish color. I've already decided that I want to wear my usual daily blush and lipstick because these colors go well with the gown and I am comfortable with them. I'm still experimenting with foundations and I won't go into that now. But I want dark, colorful, dramatic eyes in a fall palette. I'd love a deep wine color, maybe a plum liner (having trouble finding a good dark, warm color though), with some gold, but I am aware of the problem with shimmery make up and camera flashes. So, I love that gold MAC pic you posted, Marisol, and I wear gold and coppery eyes when I go out sometimes, but I don't think it will go over well with photography. Maybe if I keep the shadow off of my brow bones like MAC did, and use a wine in the crease....? Anyway, I've noticed that anytime there is a picture taken of me wearing eye shadow, my brow bones HEAVILY reflect the light and make them look shiny, wet, or silver, no matter what color (I plan to make another post about this and my other eye make up problems elsewhere though). So, I'd like either an entirely matte eye look, or a look with shimmer only on the lids. My eyes are VERY deep set by the way, so I find I have a hard time getting the crease colors to show up and I don't use liner or color on my lower lids (except a touch at the outer corner) because I have creases there that collect the stuff and make me look old ;-).

I also know that my eyes are my strongest feature, so I really want to play them up. So, OK, here's a weird story:

When I was younger (about 10 years ago, I'm 31 now), I somehow had some sort of mersmerizing way with my eyes that has since dried up ;-) Men would stop mid-sentence, forget what they were saying and just say "I'm sorry, your eyes are so...". It had actually happened to me several times in one year for some weird reason, so it couldn't have been just a fluke, and deliberately used this to my advantage more than once. At the time, I thought it was because of this new lipstick I had been wearing (it was Revlon Color Stay in "sienna," the color of which just seemed to compliment the color of my eyes in a way that made the stand out more. I would still wear it today didn't feel so yucky compared to the L'Oreal Endless (and their closest color match ("extreme spice", just isn't the same). Maybe it had nothing to do with the lipstick, but I can't remember what mascara I wore back then, and I can't even remember if I wore eyeliner. It was like I accidentally got splashed with some sort of Love Potion #9 for eyes and didnt know it. I absolutely have no idea what I was doing at the time to cause this strange reaction, but I want to re-discover it again! At least if only for my wedding day, you know?

So, the whole eye thing and trying to find a foundation look that will stay pretty with my new super-oily sensitive skin are my bit wedding day make-up dilemas. I'm fine with the lips, cheeks, eyebrows, hair stuff.

By the way, I love these boards, and everyone seems so friendly! I hope I haven't worn out my welcome already with this long post ;(

Hi again,
I read your whole post and although there is no way to tell for sure without seeing you. It sounds like you already know exactly what colors to draw out your best features. I think since you want to have really dramatic bold eyes, then a smokey eye like Janelle suggested in plum/taupe colors would be exactly what you are looking for. If you lived close, I would love to help you out (for free) since I am a makeup artist and get great joy out of seeing people look their best. I never got into it to make money anyway.

But I think although you said you don't wear eyeliner, you should for your wedding to really bring attention to your eyes. The Stila smudgepots are a great long lasting eyeliner that comes in a little jar. You can get a brown or black and line your top lash line and smudge it softly with a taupy-plum eyeshadow to soften the harsh line and apply the plum eyeshadow in the crease and softly blended (really well)up towards the brow bone. (without drawing too much color too high) If you really want your eyes to stand out I wouldn't leave the lower lash line bare. It will fade out as apposed to how dramatic your lids will look. Invest in a good concealer and eyeshadow primer to give it the budge-proofness that you will need. Another possibility is some false eyelashes just on the outer lashes to give your eyes that extra "oomph". They always say not to match your eyeshadows or makeup exaclty to your clothes. But I think if you stay within the same color family you should be okay. The foundation is essential to the look so that is where I say you should do your best to find a good one that really covers well. You'll do fine, it sounds like you already know what works for you, you just need to expirement and don't be affraid to try something new! That is how I find the best techniques, not from what I learned in beauty school.

Me again- Forgot something
smile.gif

I think you could most definetly wear an application like the MAC one with a plum color in the crease like you had suggested. Try it out and take pictures to see if it is the look you are after!

Hello Ayacalypso and welcome to Makeup Talk. I'm Jeanie from Southern California. I'm sure any of the members here will be glad to help you. Nice to you to join in.

Welcome Ayacalypso...I am Kerri from Dallas, TX and you can't go wrong with the expertise on this website!!

Latest posts

Back