High end foundation advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I would like to invest in 1 or 2 high end foundations to use for pictures, events or those days when my skin needs that little extra.

I have light-medium complection with yellow undertones (NC20-25 I guess), I do not have any scar or discoloration but can get a little red on my cheecks particularly in winter. My skin is overall normal but I tend to get oily on my forehead after a few hours of wear.

I recently tried Lancome teint idole ultra and while I was pleased with the staying power and how it performed on my forehead (at least for the first 6-7h) I am not 100% convinced of the color match and it did not give me that polished, healthy but NOT DEWY look that I would like. I guess I am searching for somethig with a good range of color and a satin or semi-matte finish.

When I picked up the Lancome foundation I initially swatched Chanel Perfection Lumiere but the color match was awful, only 8 colors are available here in Sweden and B10 was too pale while B30 was more than a shade too dark.

I did some research and some products I might consider are:

-Hourglass Immaculate liquid foundation (recently came out)

-Guerlain Lingerie de Peau or Parure extreme

-Giorgio Armani luminous silk

Do you have any other suggestion? For those of you who have tried any of the foundations I listed, what is your review?

If you are looking for a "dewy" look, having a semi-matte or satin finish will not really work for that....If you have oily skin though and want the satin look, I would suggest Stila's One-Step foundation. It has a very light, whipped feeling to it. It's a primer, foundation and powder in one (so they say). I have used this on clients in the past and it looks very nice. The only downside is that there are very few colors to choose from.

If you want to go the dewy route, I would try Makeup Forever's HD foundation. It gives a very dewy finish and looks natural. There is also a ridiculous range of colors, many of which are great for neutral and yellow-tones which can be difficult to find in a lot of foundations. This again, I have used on many many clients...It was my go-to foundation because it worked for almost everyone. If you used that and a setting powder I think you'd like it.

@SarahJean Thank you for your input but if you check the original post you'll see that I specified NOT DEWY. I would like a satin natural finish.

I once tried a sample of MUFE Hd foundation but I was not impressed with the finish and it looked overall dull on me.

It really depends on the coverage you like. If you want a medium to full cover, then I would suggest something like Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation. It gives me a satiny finish, it also has great staying power. If you like light coverage I would go for tinted moisturizer. 

@rebelyell Thank you for your suggestion! I like light-medium coverage but tinted moisturizers do not have good staying power in my experience (I use them when I am just running errands). I will check out the estee lauder foundation hoping they have a good color selection.

Originally Posted by swedgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@SarahJean Thank you for your input but if you check the original post you'll see that I specified NOT DEWY. I would like a satin natural finish.

I once tried a sample of MUFE Hd foundation but I was not impressed with the finish and it looked overall dull on me.

Oh wow, I feel dumb...I don't know how I could have missed that. My bad! 

I would look for a good finishing powder, that'd make any decent foundation look great (esp if you like it but you feel it's too dewey). it'll give you that satin-y finish, and you can just use the foundations you're already wearing

I also want to reiterate that high end does not equal good quality. I paid $50 for a lancome teinte-whatever tinted moisturizer that worsened my skin's texture and made me look greasy. and lancome is so secretive about their ingredients, I'll never know what was in it

@americanclassic I have tried a few setting powders but  I have the feeling that the result they give is only lasting for the first 1-2h and then is the foundation formulation what counts. Is there any specific setting powder that you would suggest?

I agree that high end does not always equal excellent product but in my experinece the staying power, color selection and finish of high end foundation is undeniably better and I'd rather invest in a good foundation than splurge on eyeshadow or lip products.

Ooh you will probably LOVE the Guerlain, both the Parure Extreme and Lingerie de Peau. I have them both and have used them in photographic situations and just for running around all day. Extreme is quite matte and full coverage, but it stays for hours and hours and looks flawless. This was my wedding day makeup and it photographed beautifully. Lingerie de Peau sinks into the skin like butter and stays well. This I think will be your perfect not dewy but healthy skin foundation. It s buildable medium coverage. The texture is flawless, I was really amazed with how it blended into the skin. No other foundation out there like it. It's not matte, but not quite satin. It honestly just looks like perfect skin. My one complaint with Guerlain liquid is the color palette. I am quite fair, NC 15 is sometimes too yellow for me, and their lighest shades are truly a bit dark on me. They blend so perfectly though that it's barely noticeable, and it's not enough for me to stop using them! Since you're more like NC20 or 25, the lighter shade I think would be just fine for you. Don't judge the color until you blend it out on your entire face though, it seems to adjust right away. Order Lingerie de Peau! You won't be disappointed. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@AliciaMLay

Thank you so much for your reply, it was really helpful!!!! I was out today and after reading your post I decided to go and check out the Guerlain foundations (up to now I only read reviews and checked youtube videos). I ended up buying the Lingerie de Peau in 02 excactely as you suggested. I agree that the color match is not perfect when swatched on your hand but it somehow blends in your skin without looking powdery and fake, we'll see how it holds up on an average 8h work day.

One question: how do you apply the Linferie de Peau? I usually use a beauty blender sponge or the Sigma F80.

Thank you once again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@americanclassic I had the same issue with Lancome teint idole ultra, brought me out with loads of spots!

I found Bobby Brown has a quite nice one, cant remember what its called though and I just tried a nice smashbox one but only once, need to test it out more.

Chanels colour choice is pants and Dior is quite yellow too. I am tempted to try ester lauder though as I have a sample of their BB cream and its lush!

Yea I'm happy I could help a little! I really hope you like it, definitely let us know how it holds up on you through a nice long work day! There are 2 main brushes I prefer to use, CARGO's Magic Brush and Sonia Kashuk's Flat Top Synthetic Brush (just like the F80.) I think synthetic works best with that formula. I like how the Magic brush really buffs in the liquid, it is slightly domed at the top. Good luck with this! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I second Guerlain foundation recommendations. It's hands down the best foundation I've used. Love the Lingerie De Peau foundation. It's way better than Chanel and Dior foundations.

Hi again!

I have had the Guerlain Lingerie de peau for a while now and I can give you my review!

I love the consistency of this foundation, it is very liquid but it just glides over my skin like silk. I have applied it with the Sigma F80 and the Real technique stippling brush and both work very well. Last couple of days I also tried to spread it first with my fingers and then buff it on the edges and around my mouth to make it more uniform and the result really pleased me. The color seems to work perfectly with my skin which might be too light for the summer months but on the other hand I use mineral foundation in summer so it shouldn't be a problem.

I really like the finish too, it is very natural, somewhere in between a satin and a healthy glow finish but not dewy, for the first time I can see the "my skin just better" effect with a liquid foundation. Surprisingly it also gives some coverage, I have a little birthmark on my cheek and it nearly disappears with this foundation. Another positive thing is that it does not emphasize the dry areas on my face.

As far as staying power I have been wearing it mainly inside so I do not know how it would work with warm or humid weather but it held very well for 8-10 hours and I just need to blot my forehead once in the middle of the day. I did not try to set it with powder because I did not want to ruin the beautiful finish but I might try that sometimes.

Overall I am very very pleased with this foundation, I love the finish and the color is perfect for me, this is for sure my favourite liquid foundation so far!

A big thank to AliciaMLay that suggested this foundation and to all the ladies that chime in!!!

Latest posts

Back