HIGH SENSITIVITY TO MAKE UP.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had been using Clinique balanced makeup for years and they discontinued it.  I then tried many other makeups and found them very irritating to my skin.  The Clinique was the only one I was able to use and only the balanced makeup.  I then tried a drugstore brand Cover Girl Smoothers and it does not irritate my skin.  I don't like the texture as much as Clinique, but, no rashes and irritations.  I will have to live without the balanced makeup since this was the only other makeup that didn't irritate me and a lot cheaper at $8.00.

Clinique changed the formula of their mascaras which I also used for years and years and the new formulas made my eyes swell up and be beet red.  I have been trying other mascaras and they all are irritating my eyes to a point where I look horrible.  I have been trying all the ones that are supposed to be really gentle with no success and have a drawer full of unusable mascaras now.  I can still use what is left of the old Clinique formula and my eyes are fine.  People have said that your skin changes when you get older, but, since the old formula does not bother me, I think they are putting weird things in mascaras now.  I think I'll try Blinc next since they say they formulate it for sensitive eyes and it is an untraditional mascara. 

Any suggestions?

Are you aware of what ingredient(s) you are allergic to in your makeup or are you still trying to figure it out? I have super sensitive skin and eyes but I want to make sure my recommendations aren't possible mega irritants to you.

Edit: Also, have you tried wearing JUST mascara and not any other eye products? At one point I had an eye primer that was irritating my eyes and I thought it was my mascara. Just checking since I made this mistake myself.

No, my eyeliner doesn't seem to be the culprit.  I've been using that for years and so far, they haven't changed the formula.  I have no idea what ingredient it is.  The only mascara I could tolerate for years was Clinique Lash Doubling or High Impact and they told me that had changed the formulas.  I have tried, Cover Girl, Paul Penders, Ecco Bella, Jane Isdale, among the latest ones.  I have always been allergic to mascaras except the Clinique ones which they changed.  I heard that Blinc is not a traditional mascara and I might try that one.  Unfortunately, this is costing me a lot of money.

My biggest piece of advice would be to try each mascara with no other products on, including shadows, primers, lotions or liners. All of these items can fall or rub into the eye.

Having said that a couple of cheaper brands you can try are L'Oreal Voluminous and Maybelline Full & Soft. Those are both drugstore brands that won't break the bank but usually don't bother sensitive eyes. Make sure you do not buy "alternate" versions of them like waterproof, ones with fiber, etc. Just regular. I have been wearing Voluminous for awhile now without irritation. It's not my favorite but it's inexpensive, doesn't irritate and is easily accessible.

Back