Home Schooling

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with it? We're going to home school both of our kids. Krystin had one more year before she finished Elementary School and Zachary just is in Kindergarten but both will be home schooled starting this Fall. We lost our battle of trying to get them to remain where they are at but do to politics they won't!

We purchased some books from Barnes & Noble and don't really want to follow any particular curriculum ..we have the basics or guidelines the State puts out that they need to know! I'm still miffed over this whole political bs and it's still a touchy topic when anyone mentions it ..I get teary eyed just thinking about things! UURRGGGGGGHHHHHH!
icon_evil.gif

So ..I will DEFINITELY not be on nights becaues I'll be picking up where hubby left off in the days routines! (he goes to work at 1pm so he's doing the HS thing).

Sorry to hear that Kim. I don't have any experience at all with things like child schooling but i do want to wish you and them all the best (((Hugs)))

I'm looking into the same thing Kim...my son's not quite 4 yet, but I really want to homeschool him cuz I really don't like the system or the kids out here in LA. Plus, since I don't really do much and my man's schedule is flexible most of the time, one of us can always be here for my little man. There's a site called the homeschool network or something like that and it has alot of helpful tips...I'll have to get back to you on the exact address when I actually get home...I'm on my laptop right now, but i'll let you know the sites.

i'm just trying to think of the politics thing you're talking about.

anyway, good luck with it all. my friend was homeschooled and loved it, except for the whole friends and socializing part.

I personally don't completely agree with homeschooling, but can TOTALLY understand what you are saying in regards to politics etc though! I completely understand allot of public schools teach things like "how to hate President Bush" and basic liberal (non conservative)'s Christian values that don't follow the normal judeo-Christian value structure.

Of course, the age of the child has a lot to do with this, also the child's confidence level...and that comes from the home. I just feel that regular schooling (private and public) children assists kids socially. They understand and learn how to deal with other kids' and situations, both good and bad. Home schooled kids usually have small experiences in the "real world" and when they become of an age to see those real world situations, it can be a rude awakening.

If you hate the politics of the schools, another avenue option is private schools that would follow what you believe in.

Originally Posted by Naturally

Does anyone have any experience with it? We're going to home school both of our kids. Krystin had one more year before she finished Elementary School and Zachary just is in Kindergarten but both will be home schooled starting this Fall. We lost our battle of trying to get them to remain where they are at but do to politics they won't!
We purchased some books from Barnes & Noble and don't really want to follow any particular curriculum ..we have the basics or guidelines the State puts out that they need to know! I'm still miffed over this whole political bs and it's still a touchy topic when anyone mentions it ..I get teary eyed just thinking about things! UURRGGGGGGHHHHHH!
icon_evil.gif

So ..I will DEFINITELY not be on nights becaues I'll be picking up where hubby left off in the days routines! (he goes to work at 1pm so he's doing the HS thing).

I'm a teacher and I have to say that in some ways I think home schooling is great. It allows kids to learn at their own pace. I'll be honest, with No Child Left Behind and the whole testing thing, all they do in schools are test prep (unless you are at a really good public school or private school that has really advanced kids so it doesn't have to teach to the test!). I think it really hurts the kids.

However socialization is a huge part of school. Kids need to learn how to interact with other kids, work out problems, etc. Also schools allow lots of after school opportunities. So I'd suggest trying to link up with a school that will allow you to take the kids there for recess (to interact with other kids) and maybe participate in clubs/activities.

As for teaching, you should take advantage of your situation and give your kids lots of authentic work (like have them plant a garden to teach them about soil, parts of a plant, ecosystems, etc.) These kind of experiences are much more valuable to kids then just labeling worksheets like they do in many classrooms! I would also give them lots of critical thinking which will be valuable in college. Like instead of reading textbooks, read novels and use them to teach different events. Kids enjoy this so much more than reading out of a textbook! It also allows more connections to real life than what students get out of texts.

I would get a copy of curriculum (I can get you copies of the curriculum my school system uses) just so that you know some of the things that are taught that might not otherwise occur to you! You don't have to follow the curriculum, but at least it would allow you to ensure that your kids are on par with those in traditional schools.

Good luck with everything!

Originally Posted by Naturally Does anyone have any experience with it? We're going to home school both of our kids. Krystin had one more year before she finished Elementary School and Zachary just is in Kindergarten but both will be home schooled starting this Fall. We lost our battle of trying to get them to remain where they are at but do to politics they won't!
icon_evil.gif

Good Luck Kim....
wink.gif

I just got home and realized all the home school info I have is for CA. I think CA has different laws about homeschooling than most states. Sorry...but I did just look everything up online so far, so just search away. Just make sure to look up info for your particular state cuz laws vary.

Since I was born and raised in Finland I don't really know much about homeschooling because it's not allowed there. I've only learned about it little bit over the years I've lived here. In Finland every child has to go to school and follow the same curriculum which is not politically driven like it is here in the US. If you don't go to school the police will be knocking on your door. I was shocked to find out how things are here with the politics and level of education at public schools. I wish good luck to you and your husband. I'm sure you will do great. Keep us posted on how things are going whenever you can. Totally understand your time will be limited here at MakeupTalk. I ran across this website www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com. I'm not sure if you've already visited the site and/or if it's any use for you but just thought I'll mention it.

I'm with Jennifer on this... I don't know what you mean by the politics!
icon_redface.gif
I dunno... maybe it's where I went to school (public) or what classes I took, but I don't remember ever being taught religious or political things unless it was for history class! lol
icon_eek.gif
Maybe things are different now for younger kids, but I don't remember stuff like that.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98

I'm with Jennifer on this... I don't know what you mean by the politics!
icon_redface.gif
I dunno... maybe it's where I went to school (public) or what classes I took, but I don't remember ever being taught religious or political things unless it was for history class! lol
icon_eek.gif
Maybe things are different now for younger kids, but I don't remember stuff like that.
icon_wink.gif

Well alot of teachers have agendas and unfortunately it's political. Like one of my oldest son's teachers. He Bush Bashed every chance he could. My son laughed outloud at him and reminded him that Bush won. lol
Not right to reflect biased opinion on students.

I think a lot of the training that goes with learning to be a teacher has a lot to do with how to react to different types of children, the way they learn, how to handle situations that may arise, etc. And the rest on what to actually teach them. Being you know how to handle your own kids I don't think you'd have a problem as long as you know all the things to teach them, and know how to help them if they have a problem.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

The sample you gave us about the newborn would have made me angry too! I can't believe that. Our pediatrician already warned us about the school system. How it's made to fit one mold only that all kids don't fit. Some kids are way ahead of their development and are smarter and need more challenges than the regular school system can give them. It's sad that the system was designed that way and a lot of kids have to suffer as a result of that. I've also been in contact with some teachers in our neighborhood and I really question them. If my child was being taught by them I would have a real problem with the situation. I'm not saying all teachers are bad but I'm not impressed with what I've seen with the few and especially the way their own children are says a lot. Sounds like you've done a lot of research on the subject and I'm sure you will do great and your kids will love it!

I totally agree about the mold the students are put in as far as schooling goes...and it is hard for kids who learn faster or want to learn more than what's being taught. That's exactly why I'm gonna be homeschooling my son. I visited several private schools that have preschool programs and was not happy with any of them. It would be like holding my son back...he's waaaay advanced for his age and he loves learning. Everyday he wakes up asking "momma what am I gonna learn today?" I definitely think for some children homeschooling is a much better option and they can get so much out of it.

I'm no genius, but in my school... in Jr. High we went to a seperate class everyday for about 2 hours (they called it "Enrichment" class) and it was a small group of about 5or 6 kids, and we would have discussion, do puzzles, logic problems, etc. It was fun because it felt like we got a break from school (even though it was only in a classroom upstairs lol) but it was really challenging things theyd have us do sometimes. In high school, I was in a few "AP" classes (Advanced Placement) which tends to do work that is designed for 1-2 grades/levels above what you are in. In my Junior/Senior year I was in MAL classes (I forgot what it stands for) but they were technically college classes. So my school was very good at putting you where you would meet your educational needs. They also had the same types of programs for kids who didn't learn as well. Instead of 'Algebra' there was "Intermediate Algebra" which did the same basics as the regular class, but was a little more slower paced, and there was a lot more interaction between the teachers and the kids when someone needed more help with something. I don't know if your schools offer these types of things, but I think it made things a lot better when they didn't have that mold for all kids to fit into.
icon_wink.gif

Unbelievable!! I totally understand your frustration. I would be BOILING if that happened to my child too.

Kim, that is wonderful. I am so glad things are going to work out
smile.gif
i love this site too. Even though I have friends around, this is like home and I feel great when I read everybody's posts.

Originally Posted by Naturally GOD I LOVE MUT ..I love how whatever the topic/subject of the thread is ..there are sites listed on the side pertaining to that subject ..I'm staring at one that's Homeschoolingbooks.com! LOVE YOU TONY & REIJA for such a FANTASTIC SITE! (and yes I frequent the side places a lot).
Well ...after yesterdays field trip with Zachary ..we went to a dairy farm, I got to talking with one of the mom's ...it's Zachary's best buddy's mom ...and her hubby is on the School Board where the Middle/High school is (and where we were hoping to get Krystin into the following year). We were told that we no longer had that CHOICE option (although kids from Maryland have a CHOICE, but not those in Delaware where the school actually is...see POLITICS). Anyhow she was pretty sweet and said "you have FRIENDS on the Board - Charlie (her hubby) is on the board ..and he went to school with David ..don't worry you shouldn't have a problem! There are a few others that we know on the board ..and from what I'm getting we won't have a problem.

They'll be home schooled for their elementary part and go to David's almamater (sp?).

I know this will be the best thing actually thinking back now ...Krystin was in 1st and whew ..she was getting red notes right and left ...I asked the teacher if maybe she was bored ..."Oh no ..she's on level with her peers" was the reply from that teacher (she quit after that year). When we got her test scores they do yearly ..she was much higher in her grade levels for comprehension and so forth ..so when she got to 2nd her teacher said she wasn't being challenged enough ...DUH!

I think maybe for Elementary School years ..and especially if your child is ...advanced ..Home Schooling is probably the way to go. Even if they aren't advanced ..you could give them that edge. Especially with the condensed one on one they have!

Isn't this type of ad viewing technology cool???

Originally Posted by Naturally

GOD I LOVE MUT ..I love how whatever the topic/subject of the thread is ..there are sites listed on the side pertaining to that subject ..I'm staring at one that's Homeschoolingbooks.com! LOVE YOU TONY & REIJA for such a FANTASTIC SITE!

Glad you like the site and we are so glad to have you part of it!!!

How awesome it's all going to work out for you and your kids. You are an awesome parent for being so much involved with your kids and their schooling. Hats to you. So many parents these days don't pay attention enough to recognize what is needed for the best interest of the children to support their development. So many people miss the boat and then wonder what happened to their kid. DUH! It's not rocket science. Your kids are going to thank you some day and you will see the fruit of all your hard work when your kids are adults and parents themselves. Keep up the good work!!!

Latest posts

Back