Hot rollers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried hot rollers? What's your experience with them? I've read they're infinitely faster than curling your hair (I rarely curl my hair, and when I do it takes forever). Do you guys have any recommendations or tips/tricks? Thanks!

Hot rollers give you a different kind of curl.  Curling irons kinda  give you a flat squished curl while the hot rollers are kinda looser.  They take about the same time but without as much effort because you just put them on, get your makeup on and take them all off at once. They have to be on your hair for at least 15-20 minutes or longer depending on the length of your hair. If you don't leave them on long enough then your hair isnt going to curl as well and you may have flat spots.   

My set only has a few large rollers, not enough for my whole head.  I would do as many as I can, take some off, heat it in the unit and apply it in another part of my hair. Damp, not wet hair works best.

Thanks for the info! I'm guessing curling irons are a lot hotter than rollers, and probably more damaging, right? I did a little research, and apparently there are steam hot rollers too? do you think they'd be less damaging to hair than dry hot rollers? I'm not paranoid about hair care, I just know I'd be too lazy to use heat protectant and whatnot every time lol

Steaming your hair isn't really less damaging.  It can cause a lot of damage as it penetrates the shaft and 'cook' your hair.

ohh I never thought about that, good to know. lol I was just listening to what people on YT said.. beauty gurus can come up with some pretty kooky 'scientific explanations' :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I should take that with a grain of salt. it's hard to find any info when 99.99% of advice online is saturated with stuff like that.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Steaming your hair isn't really less damaging.  It can cause a lot of damage as it penetrates the shaft and 'cook' your hair.

I stop listening when people on YT 'beauty gurus' start talking crackpot science.  There are some pretty cool scientists on YT but they have nothing to do with beauty and makeup.

I had tried a straightener that was to dry your hair as it straighted...it caused steam, fried my hair!  I think it was a conair.  I would not recommend steam products unless it was a sauna.  

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ohh I never thought about that, good to know. lol I was just listening to what people on YT said.. beauty gurus can come up with some pretty kooky 'scientific explanations' :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I should take that with a grain of salt. it's hard to find any info when 99.99% of advice online is saturated with stuff like that.

Yikes,.any of the wet to dry heat stylers are horrible on hair! I haven't used hot rollers in a while, I typically use a large barrel curling iron or one inch flat iron for curls.

the steam hot rollers are almost the reverse--the spongy part of the curler has steam (well, it's just hot and saturated with a little water) and you wrap your dry hair on it and wait until it dries to 'set' the curl.

I'm not sure it would have the same frying effect, but I can't imagine leaving your hair wrapped around hot steam for 20 minutes would be good either. funny thing is, all the old 80's commercials and basically everyone online say it's non-damaging, but some official tutorial shows them using heat protectant :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yikes,.any of the wet to dry heat stylers are horrible on hair! I haven't used hot rollers in a while, I typically use a large barrel curling iron or one inch flat iron for curls.

Latest posts

Back