How Dangerous is Formaldehyde in cosmetics?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did some reading online about it and some people say is bad and others don't. I was just wondering if anyone who is more informed on this subject then I am can fill me (and the rest of us who may not know) in. I'm asking because I bought three nail polishes this weekend at American Apparel and one of them (its called Neon Violet) has Formaldehyde in it.

I didn't see the warning on the back of the bottle until after I got home, and unfortunately I can't return it. In the warning on the back of the bottle this is what it says: " Warning - This product may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm"

Here's a photo (sorry about the flash) of the back of the bottle: 

I think the minute amounts in nail polishes aren't really that dangerous unless you are a nail blogger swatching several times a day with formaldehyde products, but a normal user who maybe wears polish a couple times a week (and most of your other polishes don't even have it?) I think you'll be safe. You do know that most nail strengthening products have formaldehyde or formaldehyde resins in them too?

They are fine as long as you aren't those people that pick off the polish, chew your nails or scrape the polish off with your teeth.  As long as you keep your nails out of your mouth in general, you are fine. 

Ok good to know, thanks for the replies =) ..I actually didn't know most nail strengthening products have formaldehyde or formaldehyde resins in them, luckily I've been using essie's all in one base, which is free of DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde free

Latest posts

Back