How do anorexics keep from fainting?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well like other people said, anorexia is not just about being thin or skinny. i'd say it's more the consequence of it, but it is originally a sickness. i suppose your body get used to it in a way, but i do think those girls have health issues, and they probably do faint too (maybe not to the point of loosing consciousness, but working slowly). i've know girls who would just eat 3 mars or any other type of sweets, and then skip dinners and lunches for two days. i don't know if they were anorexic but i was just surprised they could live on with so little food (if you call that food).

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think they all have anorexia. It's just extreme dieting.
smile.gif
Yes.
Anorexia looks a bit different than the average actress, isn't exactly glamarous either
wink.gif

I have a big past with anorexia, for ten years I have been eating disordered (I am 24 now) and finally for a few years now I can say that I no longer have anorexia, I am still struggling and have some issues of my own, but I am no longer anorexic, thankfully... It almost cost me my life twice.

I am not going to answer "how anorexics do it", that is ridiculous, how does a drug addict stay from dieing? They stay alive until they die... anorexics DO faint, but that is hardly the most worrysome thing, considering there is a big chance of infertility, organ failure, and of course all the ugly things such as hair loss, teeth falling out, all because of malnutrition. I am very lucky to have gotten my menstruation back, but it was gone for almost four years, can you imagine? It was a little miracle it got back, and I hope I will never fall down the slippery slope of anorexia, nor do I hope it for anybody else, it is a horrible horrible disease, and it will kill you in the end.

Anorexia is not just being very thin. It is an eating disorder but also a psychological disorder. You have a distorted body image and regardless how thin you are you see yourself as being overweight. Many people who are considerd anorexics are also troubled with Obsessive compulsive disorder. It is a very hard disease to control and treat. It may take years of therapy for you to see yourself as you really are. As a rule, anorexics take no solid food in the day for as long as they can, then you eat an apple or orange, eat as lightly as possible. You do stay well-hydrated with lots of water and diet drinks--that will keep you on your feet. The system goes into starvation mode and becomes used to living like that--if this continues the other systems of the body become involved and your are at a serious health risk. Anorexia is like playing Russian Roulette--beware.

Originally Posted by Babette Pardoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes.
Anorexia looks a bit different than the average actress, isn't exactly glamarous either
wink.gif

I have a big past with anorexia, for ten years I have been eating disordered (I am 24 now) and finally for a few years now I can say that I no longer have anorexia, I am still struggling and have some issues of my own, but I am no longer anorexic, thankfully... It almost cost me my life twice.

I am not going to answer "how anorexics do it", that is ridiculous, how does a drug addict stay from dieing? They stay alive until they die... anorexics DO faint, but that is hardly the most worrysome thing, considering there is a big chance of infertility, organ failure, and of course all the ugly things such as hair loss, teeth falling out, all because of malnutrition. I am very lucky to have gotten my menstruation back, but it was gone for almost four years, can you imagine? It was a little miracle it got back, and I hope I will never fall down the slippery slope of anorexia, nor do I hope it for anybody else, it is a horrible horrible disease, and it will kill you in the end.

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing. I am glad things are getting so much better for you. <3

I think anorexia should be thought of as more a mental disorder than is commonly portrayed in the media. It is not sexy, glamorous, or chic. Just to note, many high fashion models are not anorexics, but of course some are. Most of the time, the model already had anorexic tendencies before they were "discovered", so I don't know about the argument that the industry "causes" it, but I rather believe it may "trigger" it. You can't learn how to do this stuff, it's sad when you see girls trying to induce it...

Those of us who have had eating disorders know, it is not only the "thin" component, if that even is the driving one at all. It's very much tied to obsessive-complusive disorders, it may have a body dysmorphic bent to it, but alot of the times there are people going through this who know they don't look good, but they cannot stop doing it.

Babette, I am glad you have been successful in your fight. I hope you continue to be. It really sucks though to deal with the aftermath. In my case, I just dropped about $7000 for dental work, all caused by this monster, and I'm still not done.

Anyhow, my take on the actual question: How do Anorexics keep from fainting?

I think many of the extremely thin people we see in the media are not "real" anorexics, but they are "serial dieters/pill poppers". Many of them use drugs, such as DNP and Clenbuterol to achieve that look very quickly without having to do much work to get it. Please, please, do not go out and get these drugs. They can be deadly, and I secretly think that's the real reason behind some of these starlets going to the hospital for "exhaustion". Google their side-effects and then you'll know what I mean.

Caffeine, and other stimulants are commonly used to keep them pepped up, some of them drink quite a substantial amount of coffee to keep going.

I heard Victoria Beckham lives on strawberries and water and NOTHING else. and that came from her ex dietician!

Thanks Saje, Babette and a few others - it's really refreshing to get others perspective on things I would've never thought. Interesting topic.

Oh, and I bet some celebrities do have eating disorders - but how are we all to know?

Like, Gwen Stefani - has anyone read some of the things she says when it comes to weight? I'm sure it's taken out of context but I have a feeling there's more to it. Hmm. Just my feeling because what she has said is unsettling to me.

I think that those who are significantly under eating are always battling to maintain their strength. Just because the actress/actor doesn't faint, doesn't mean they aren't struggling to stay on their feet either. Sadly, extreme diets are a big part of acting--not just to look good on the red carpet, but to actually fit into roles the actor/actress will portray. I mean, think back to when Tom Hanks did Cast Away. He lost a GOOD amount of weight during filming to portray being stranded on an island. Then think back to Charlize Theron for her role in Monster. She had to gain a considerable amount of weight to portray Aileen. Don't forget, unhealthy gaining, or gaining too quickly, is just as bad as losing weight.

Originally Posted by jakk-attakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif I heard Victoria Beckham lives on strawberries and water and NOTHING else. and that came from her ex dietician! yeah shes got david as desert i would skip meals to eat that
laughing.gif

Latest posts

Back