How Do You Afford?...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i'm 14 and live with my caring parents and my dad spoils me..so i buy all my stuff from pocket money
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by doe Well i'm 14 and live with my caring parents and my dad spoils me..so i buy all my stuff from pocket money
icon_cheesygrin.gif
LOL that's the spirit! I think being spoilt now is gonna haunt us later when we have to work for it ourselves
frown.gif
well, we don't have to worry about that now, do we?
smile.gif

hmmm... i don't know about that... i was happily spoiled all through my childhood and teenager years and now that i work for my cash i've found that instead of waiting for others to spoil me, i find ways to spoil myself... makes working worth it...

as far as how i afford some of the stuff that i buy (which is leaning toward some high end stuff now that i'm here), i balance it out... if i want to buy a 30 dollar tinted moisturizer, then i'll skip dinner out that night.... no big!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
at one point, maybe i'll have a collection like some of the bigger ones that i've seen on here (but it'll NEVER be as organized as what i've seen on here!!!)

Originally Posted by Eva121 LOL that's the spirit! I think being spoilt now is gonna haunt us later when we have to work for it ourselves
frown.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Eva121 LOL that's the spirit! I think being spoilt now is gonna haunt us later when we have to work for it ourselves
frown.gif
smile.gif
I sometimes worry about managing my money when i'm older but as you say..why worry now?
icon_cool.gif

Awesome drugstore cosmetics can be found! I do have a mix of low end and high end. I don't smoke, drink and don't overspend on other items so I can treat myself to occasional high end brands. I also take trips to the Cosmetic Company Outlet, so I can find high end for myself at low prices. Sometimes TJ Maxx and Marshalls have High end thats being discontinued. Right now they have alot of Sugar Cosmetics, Hard Candy & Urban Decay. So always keep an eye out at those places. Also sometimes Biglots will have some nice things in the way of cosmetics. But all of those places can be hit or miss. But always worth a look. Also keep your eyes out at Ulta cosmetics in their clearance bins!

I can't afford to buy high end cosmetics often. I do treat myself when I get b-day money or work some overtime. And when I get my income tax return, I splurge in a big way. I look forward to it all year! One exception is Clinique, when they have GWP time I always go down and buy a few staples like mascara or lip gloss so that I can get my gift. Other than that I buy drugstore brands; from the cheapest of the cheap (Wet n Wild) on up to the spendiest (Revlon or L'oreal). I'm not picky--like someone else said, if I see something and I like it, I buy it. Brands don't really matter. I sometimes get bummed out when other members talk about their hauls but that usually only lasts about 3 seconds then I'm over it!
wink.gif

My alternative is Ebay, but you must be very cautious, not only in dealing with buyers but the possibility of making it far too habitual.

Shoot me a message and I'd be more than happy to share more thoughts.

Melissa

I know what you mean, I am in the same boat as well, don't feel bad. I have seen the prices for Mac and Stila products; and the prices are outragous!!

Drugstore brands are just as good..... No offence to anyone here;Who wants to pay $20.00 for a bottle of foundation? Yikes!! And yes, I am on a low-income budget and poor...

I get a pretty generous allowance (I do chores for it though) but almost all of my stuff is drugstore. I only own 1 MAC eyeshadow! But the cheapest stuff sometimes really is the best stuff. Maybelline is my favourite - they have a lot of variety, decent prices, and I like almost everything I try.

I don't work but my husband buys me anything that I want so I guess that's how I afford it.

Originally Posted by bocagirl I don't work but my husband buys me anything that I want so I guess that's how I afford it. I second bocagirl.

ditto on bocagirl and melissa (maph) my boyfriend buys me whatever i want, i dont work as of right now so he supports me and its not like i lovee itt that way but for now its good , and some of the girls on here love milani its a drugstore brand thats really good. for a e/s its only $3!

I guess Im a little different....I cant bring myself to spend all that money on high end makeup. Even though i could afford it, I can always think of somthing else to spend it on. I like make up..but I dont love it as much as most on here. Then theres the fact that i dont have access to much high end stuff....we have a sears, which has clinique, and mac is about 3.5 hours away. So drugstore brands it is for me!

I work in the garment industry, so I get a lot of free clothes or buy them below wholesale.

I live in a studio apartment and there's not a lot of room for furniture, so my money doesn't go for the home (I've got all the furnishings I need). Rent is high because it's Queens (NYC).

I don't spend very much on entertainment (I don't go see movies, plays, concerts, etc. I don't own a DVD player or DVDs, no video games, no cable, no IPod, don't really buy books). I tend to watch a lot of PBS, but do spend money on magazines and occasionally CDs, but that doesn't cost much. There's a ton of free activities you can do in NYC to keep you entertained.

I don't own a car (I think the price of gas this summer would have destroyed me).

I've been good about savings and investments, so I'm pretty secure (I have diabetes, so I'm conscientious about having a financial plan should I get very sick).

I agree with the other ladies, GWPs are the greatest thing ever. I have 10 lipsticks and I only bought one (the others were from various GWPs). I have 8 mascaras, but only bought one (GWPs again). I've never bought a moisturizer, but I've sent my mom at least 100 of them (GWPs yet again).

My biggest regular purchases are Prescriptives foundation and Laura Mercier Loose Powder. I buy them at full-price and don't always wait for GWPs. My reason behind this is that I'm so pale that there is no drugstore foundation or powder that looks right on me.

Other than that, I've worked hard, budgeted well, went through years of scrimping, so I don't mind treating myself to high-end. Plus, I also enjoy lots of budget items, too.

Speaking of affordable cosmetics, have any of you ever tried any of the e.l.f. stuff? I haven't yet, but I kept looking at the website wondering how good the stuff could be for a dollar.

Then just the other day I read that one of the founders is a guy that helped launch Hard Candy. He's a beauty industry veteran and he says that their e.l.f. products offer the same benefits, look and ingredients as the higher end stuff, but for a reasonable price. The article said they (he and his partner) noticed that even people that buy high end stuff shop at dollars stores and that's what gave them the idea for 1.00 cosmetics. I read that they keep their prices low by doing a lot of the work themselves.

I'll probably place an order one of these days and try some of it out. Can't beat the price, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by wingie Speaking of affordable cosmetics, have any of you ever tried any of the e.l.f. stuff? I haven't yet, but I kept looking at the website wondering how good the stuff could be for a dollar.
Then just the other day I read that one of the founders is a guy that helped launch Hard Candy. He's a beauty industry veteran and he says that their e.l.f. products offer the same benefits, look and ingredients as the higher end stuff, but for a reasonable price. The article said they (he and his partner) noticed that even people that buy high end stuff shop at dollars stores and that's what gave them the idea for 1.00 cosmetics. I read that they keep their prices low by doing a lot of the work themselves.

I'll probably place an order one of these days and try some of it out. Can't beat the price, that's for sure.

yes! I am trying them right now, get their lip conditioner and brushes!!! I also have their eyeshadow and blushes, not bad at all. I only tried them couple of times, but glosses I really like, shimmery, not very sticky, nice scent and soothing!

Anyhooo back to topic, hi there, and welcome!!! I am an addict, but drubstore addict and i agree that a lot of their stuff now is comparable to high end. I also like some Avon and mary kay stuff, but thats not too expensive either, i also tend to get my stuff on sale.

Originally Posted by bocagirl I don't work but my husband buys me anything that I want so I guess that's how I afford it. The same goes for me.

Originally Posted by bunni yes! I am trying them right now, get their lip conditioner and brushes!!! I also have their eyeshadow and blushes, not bad at all. I only tried them couple of times, but glosses I really like, shimmery, not very sticky, nice scent and soothing!
Oh, cool! Thanks for the info. I'll try those things, for sure. I also want to try the nail polish. I saw a couple colors that I really liked.

Back