How do you apply Foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am applying liquid, I use a flat top brush (mine is the buffing brush from EcoTools). I stipple it on, then very lightly buff it in. Good coverage, even with the sheerer BB cream I am using now. If I need to do a little blending I will use a wedge sponge.

For powder I am still experimenting. I like the flat top brush for that too, but I think I need to get a second one just for the powders. Otherwise I use the press and roll method with a wedge or round sponge, then gently brush off the extra with a fluffy powder brush.

Recently I had a three day art even with each day lasting 8+ hours. I applied my BB cream with the stipple/buff method like described above, and then pressed in a powder and gently brushed over it to remove excess. It lasted the entire time without looking cakey or heavy.

I recently went to Walmart and found for six dollars an amazing new "beauty blender'' Esq sponge from the brand Soho London ..I think it's London or new york. It works wonders with my cream foundation. Gives full yet natural looking coverage. I just top it off with a little powder using the elf flat top powder brush (I'm probably the only one that uses that brush for the purpose its advertised to do) and presto! Perfect face.

I just received my beauty blender 2 days ago and thats all i have been using

I use my fingers unless I am doing special effects makeup and really want to cake it on, in which case I will use a foundation brush or concealer brush. I am not a fan of using sponges because I feel like I have less control and it makes my foundation look caked on.

Definitely prefer using fingers so that I don't waste the product on sponges (and also wasting the sponge too!)

I prefer using fingers, blends more easily. I can use a brush, but I find using a brush takes more time then using a fingers for me. So yeah...

It depends on the foundation and the time I have in my hands. Some foundations blend better with fingers, some others require a brush. I'm not a fan of beauty blenders and sponges, because they absorb too much product, and the coverage is light. I have many kinds of foundation brushes: flat ones, synthetic ones, stippling ones etc. For the past few months, I'm usually reaching for my Real Techniques stippling blush when I want a good finish, or I use my fingers when I don't have much time (usually in the morning). The stippling brush is my favourite though, because I spend the less product: one pumb is enough for the whole face, whereas I usually need two pumbs if I'm using hands.

I made up my own little trick for my liquid foundation!

I first use a foundation brush (you know, the flat ones) and once its applied all onto my face I use a stippling brush to smooth it out.

It really makes the foundation look clean and clear on my face! :)

I use a brush. I hate applying with my fingers as I feel like the coverage is more uneven and streaky that way, and sponges tend to absorb too much of the product and/or make my face look cakey. 

I use the Real Techniques Stippling Brush and stipple, then buff it into my face lightly.

My concealer..I also apply that with a small concealer brush for precision. 

I use my fingers when I apply BB cream. I used to use a foundation brush but found that I prefer to apply it without a brush. I might check out the beautyblender one day though.

After applying BB cream, I use a powder foundation brush to apply either MUFE HD Mircrofinish Powder or a bit of bareMinerals foundation (if I find I need more coverage).

That's pretty much what I do for foundation stuff.

Personally i think it just depends on you, sponges can absorbed your foundation if its used dry, you can wet it and it wont absorb as much. it also depends on the look you are going for, sponges are more ideal for a matte finish. Play around with different brushes for your face, you can use a flat top, foundation or stippling brush, your fingers and a sponge just play around and see which one is for you for the look you are going for.

some tips though: With sponges its best to just "dab" the foundation on other than smearing it on, otherwise it can look uneven and streaky. with a stippling or flat top brush its best to dab it and gently go in clock and counter clockwise circles, it will go on even and will really do wonders in making any visible pores you may have invisible. with a foundation brush its best to start at the forehead and blend downwards, moving the brush up will make those tiny little peach fuzz hairs you have on your face stick up and become more noticeable, and if you use your fingers make sure they are clean and you are using a light finger, your ring finger, for a more even application. 

good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used to use my fingers, in fact that's what I do for my concealer.

But for foundation, I like either a damp makeup sponge, or the stippling brush I bought from ELF.

They both give me full coverage and are really fast which I like.

I use sponge wedges, I just prefer the finish I get. Veeery occasionally I use my fingers, but usually with a thicker foundation, I find I don't get the coverage I want using my fingers and a thinner formula. I use my fingers sometimes when I use my Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 HR foundation, but not my Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse because the texture is much lighter and thinner.

I use a real techniques expert face brush. Reasonable in price and I love how it applies my foundation. I just bought the MAC 187 brush. Need to see how it applies though.

For days when my breakouts aren't bad and I don't need full coverage (which seems like it hasnt been in forever 
icon_frown.gif
) I use real techniques expert face brush for mineral makeup... On my face it just seems like that brush works better with powder than liquid. 

For liquid everyday (Revlon colorstay) I use the beauty blender. Super fast and easy, good coverage, love it! 

And on nights when I go out or for special occasions I use the Chanel foundation brush (jacked it from my mom... She must not have used it in a long time because she hasn't noticed almost 6 months later LOL!) to make sure everything is really even. 

Bought the real techniques expert face and stippling with high expectations, but I don't seem to reach for them often at all. Maybe I'm not using them the way everyone else is? 

Originally Posted by Piper212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to use the sponge wedges, but then a makeup artist told me that's waste of product and that I should just use my fingers. Does anyone else do this?!
When Mary Greenwell guested on Lisa Eldridge's YouTube channel, she said the same thing. She said brushes and sponges were a waste of product and likely to be covered in bacteria. I will say that I've noticed a little foundation goes a very long way when I'm applying it with my fingertips, but if I use the same amount with a sponge or brush, I need at least twice the same amount.

I also found that if I rub my foundation into the skin like a skin cream, I get a more natural finish. Sponges are a headache and brushes seem to give me an uneven look. It's probably because I'm not using them properly, but if my fingers work really well, I don't see the point in bothering with learning how to use a brush.

Latest posts

Back