How do you apply Foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Real Techniques stippling brush, does a really nice job and a little liquid makeup goes a long way with it.

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When Mary Greenwell guested on Lisa Eldridge's YouTube channel, she said the same thing. She said brushes and sponges were a waste of product and likely to be covered in bacteria. I will say that I've noticed a little foundation goes a very long way when I'm applying it with my fingertips, but if I use the same amount with a sponge or brush, I need at least twice the same amount.

I also found that if I rub my foundation into the skin like a skin cream, I get a more natural finish. Sponges are a headache and brushes seem to give me an uneven look. It's probably because I'm not using them properly, but if my fingers work really well, I don't see the point in bothering with learning how to use a brush.
I saw that episode too, so now I don't feel bad about using my fingers.

What stuck with me from her episode is to REALLY work the foundation into the skin. Now I really rub the foundation in and it makes a huge difference in appearance and longevity.

I use a Sigma F80 or F82 flat top for liquids, creams & wax-based foundations. I don't find I'm wasting any product. I use a very wide, densely packed flat topped kabuki brush with a very short handle for mineral foundation. I got mine from Coastal Scents about 3 years ago I think. It has never shed a bristle & is incredibly soft. On occasion, I use a loosely packed stippling brush for my Estée Lauder Double Wear. That's usually when I want less coverage or only want to cover certain areas of my face to get rid of any ruddiness. Can't stand sponges. Hate the Beauty Blender especially, which I wasted money on. If I need to tap something out to blend it, I use my fingers. Especially with spot concealing, under eye concealing & using a lighter shade of foundation on areas like nasal labial lines etc. As far as bacteria etc I wash everything I use on my face in hot water - with soap obviously. I Fiest wet my brushes thoroughly, soap them up right to the base of the bristles, let them sit for about 10 minutes, lather them up again to make sure to get everything out of them, then rinse in hot water really well. Not much bacteria is going to survive that. I also wash my foundation brushes - as well as my brushes I use for cream blushes/highlighters/contouring products - after pretty much every use now. They not only perform better this way, I also never have to worry about what's going onto my skin.

Thank you once again, iPhone spellchecker......you never cease to screw up my spelling, ironically.

i use mac 187 duo fibre stippling brush i think its great, although on days where my skin is acting up i tend to use my fingers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
icon_biggrin.gif

There are many ways to apply foundation such as by using a foundation brush, a sponge, or by using your clean finger tips. A correct way to apply it on is by having your face completely clean, by applying small amounts of foundation onto your forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, and jaw line. Make sure that all parts of your face look even. However, to finish off with an amazing flawless look, use a blending fuffy brush to blend all of the foundation in order to get that nice and natural look.

I don't wear liquid or cream foundation often, but when I do, I use my fingers.  I get the most precise coverage that way.

I use my fingers because my face hates brushes. Literally hahaha. I rub the foundation between my fingers to warm it up and then dab on my face. The finish is always flawless when I do so ! Fingers FTW

I use a foundation brush (Estee Lauder's is the best I have used) to apply and a Beautyblender sponge to blend. It is worth the investment if you wear makeup often.

I use an ELF Foundation brush. When I bought my first foundation (which was at a Clinique counter when I was 14 and didn't know much about makeup) the lady there said to never use my fingers when I put it on and that it would cause breakouts, so I guess I've just always used a brush and I probably always will. Its just a habit.

I actually think applying foundation with fingers doesn't breakout as long as you wash your hands thoroughly before applying makeup/foundation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got back and forth a lot on this. I got a Beauty Blender a while back and love the way the makeup goes on with it and I actually found that I use and waste lest product. Sadly, most of the time, I'm in a rush and just use my fingers. The sponges apply the foundation much thinner giving a natural look that I really like.

there isnt a right or wrong way, and i really think it depends mostly on the type of foundation you are using and the coverage you want. i use to apply my foundations with my fingers and that worked fine, but i liked the coverage that i was able to get when i used a brush. i generally use my ELF Flat top powder brush or my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to get a nice flawless finish. I have never liked using sponges. I think they do soak up too much product and the few times I have messed with my beauty blender, I just couldnt make my foundation look good. 

Originally Posted by SistaPlease /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there isnt a right or wrong way, and i really think it depends mostly on the type of foundation you are using and the coverage you want. i use to apply my foundations with my fingers and that worked fine, but i liked the coverage that i was able to get when i used a brush. i generally use my ELF Flat top powder brush or my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to get a nice flawless finish. I have never liked using sponges. I think they do soak up too much product and the few times I have messed with my beauty blender, I just couldnt make my foundation look good. 
I've heard wonders about that Real Techniques brush! But everytime I try a brush to apply my foundation on it's just too rough on my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm changing my answer:

It depends on what foundation I'm using. 

Almay mousse: Brush or fingers (sometimes both -- first layer with fingers, second with brush)

Revlon Colorstay Liquid: Wet sponge or brush

Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse: Fingers because I feel it really needs to be worked in to give good coverage and look good

I have other foundations, but I basically never use them because I hate them, so how I apply those is pretty irrelevant. 

Back