How do you apply foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i use a foundation brush (chanel, to be exact) and i ONLY like to use it right after i've washed it, when it's damp. it feels good on my skin and i think it blends easily.

i used to use my fingers, but once i got a foundation brush, i couldn't imagine going back. i love the how not messy it is. i always felt gross.

how i do it is put 6 pumps (i use stila's illuminating liquid) for one side of my face and then another 6 for the other, 2 for my chin, 1 for my upper lip, 2 for my nose, and 3 for my forehead and blend, blend, blend.

i use mac's 187 skunk brush. i put some hyperreal on my hand and buff foundation into it, then buff it onto my face. i LOVE the finish it gives!

you might waste a tiny bit on your hand, but oh well. hehe. i need to find something like mac's petri dish thing

Originally Posted by eightthirty Foundation brush? Oh my....I have sooooo much to learn.
~ Melissa ~

It gives you a flawless look and easier to apply. Don't bother with those pesky sponges.

Originally Posted by Marisol It gives you a flawless look and easier to apply. Don't bother with those pesky sponges. I usually just use my hands....Off the reviews I go!
~ Melissa ~

I only use my fingers. I also have the mac skunk brush and like the finish very much, but I need so much foundation and it takes longer to apply foundation, so I rarely use it!

Originally Posted by Trisha i've also found that you need to use more fndt with the 187! Really? I find i use much less.
I like to use the MAC skunk or Samshbox foundation brush. Depends on the finish i am after.

Originally Posted by Trisha With my Chantecaille, it uses a lot more. When i apply my Chantecaille with fingers, i only need a lil bit! x i guess the texture if the foundation must also make a difference.

I happen to agree with Ms.Trisha - I always use my fingers to apply foundation ! It would take me forever to even think of applying it with a brush !

Originally Posted by Trisha I use fingers i think it gives a more natural finish, as it also warms up the product as you are applying it. Im dreading our fndt brush coming out, i love using my fingers to apply fndt!!
Jennifer it sounds as if you are using a lot of the Stila ILF.

3 full pumps give a light coverage to the entire face and 6 pumps would give a medium coverage (this is what i have experienced at work)

If it works for you then cool, but i just wanted to let you know that! x

T x

ditto trisha. i use my fingers also. i've tried the sponges and spent quite a bit on prescriptives foundation brush. i find that the application is much too heavy with the brush, and the sponges soaks up all of my product. i find that my foundation looks much more natural when i use my fingers. i also only put the foundation where i need it to even my skin tone. once i top off with powder, my skin looks almost flawless.

Originally Posted by Trisha I use fingers i think it gives a more natural finish, as it also warms up the product as you are applying it. Im dreading our fndt brush coming out, i love using my fingers to apply fndt!!
Jennifer it sounds as if you are using a lot of the Stila ILF.

3 full pumps give a light coverage to the entire face and 6 pumps would give a medium coverage (this is what i have experienced at work)

T x

I have been in love with my (cheap) fdt. brush, so I´m planning on getting the famous MAC skunk brush soon.

I could never blend my fdt. properly with my fingers and it never got as even as I wanted it to be

Originally Posted by Trisha 3 full pumps give a light coverage to the entire face and 6 pumps would give a medium coverage (this is what i have experienced at work) Sounds like I'm using nowhere near enough foundation. I only use 1 pump of ILF, and sometimes even that much looks a bit heavy on me!
I always use my fingers, much easier to blend.

I would never use my fingers or a sponge again! I use my foundation brush and I love how easily I can blend with it. With a sponge you end up wasting so much foundation and my fingers just get too messy. I like the softness of the brush too.

the mua from chantecaille says you have to use a synthetic brush because the natural hair brushes soaks up the foundation. trisha recommended using my fingers.

the 187 is great. i use hyper real foundation from mac.

Originally Posted by Trisha Jennifer it sounds as if you are using a lot of the Stila ILF.

yep, that's why i use 6 pumps! i need medium coverage
smile.gif
it never looks a lot on me, though. thanks, though
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i find that if i use a brush, it's MUCH faster and i love the finish. i also don't have to worry about washing my hands if i'm in a rush!

I like to fingerpaint! I do 3 pumps of DiorSkin and blend with my fingers. I like to press the foundation into my skin, makes my pores look smaller. I use a fndtn brush on my clients, I think it is more sanitary than rubbing my hands all over their faces...ewwww! Fndtn brushes give a nice finish too.

Latest posts

Back