How do YOU apply loose eyeshadow?!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have NEVER used loose eyeshadow because I am afraid to put it on! This may sound weird to a lot of you! What do you use as a primer and how do you apply it? There are so many pretty ones I want to buy but I am kind of new at this!!!

Not weird at all. I even own some loose shadows and pigments...and have never used them! I'm not sure what to do with them and fear the fall-out. I had planned to check some youtube videos but just never got around to it.

I apply with a damp brush to a lid that has been primed with either Urban Decay's primer OR Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy.

Loose shadows are very versatile.  You can add it to clear nail polish to colour it, you can add a medium and use it as an eye liner.   I usually buy the coloured mica and base and mix my own colours.  I've stopped buying pressed shadows.

I use a c-shaped brush and put it over ELF mineral shadow primer.  I sometimes apply with a damp brush for more colour intensity.  

Definetely use a brush and the key is to pick up very very little, because it's not uncommon to pick up too much

Wet brush, or on a clean dish I mix it with MAC's Fix+ to create almost like a paint to paint my lid with.

Thanks for the info girls! I will have to try one of your primer suggestions. Right now I use L'Oreal De-Crease and it is ok. I llove the idea of mixing the pigments with nail polish!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I apply with a damp brush to a lid that has been primed with either Urban Decay's primer OR Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy.

Zadidoll which are your favorite Fyrinnae eyeshadows?

First I apply lots of powder underneath my eye to catch any fallout and then I use Sephora eye primer because it is tacky and holds the loose shadows wonderfully. A little goes a long way on the primer too.

The main thing that I haven't seen recommended yet is actual brush technique. The key is to pat the colour onto the eyelid rather than applying it in sweeping motions, as that will create worse fall out. I usually use UDPP as my base, or a NYX jumbo eyepencil, something sticky to grab the colour. But mostly for me it comes down to technique (I actually /started/ using loose powders when I got into makeup, so I actually had a harder time getting the pressed shadows to work well for me later on)

I only use a wet brush if I want the color to be darker and more intense. If you want the color to still look like it does in the pot, I'd recommend using a tacky primer/base. That will help give the shadow something to stick to. Only get a little on your brush at a time, it's easy to get too much. Better to build up then try to take away. (boy did I learn that the hard way! lol.)  I also find using a patting motion to apply before the sweeping motion helps reduce fall out. Also apply translucent powder under your eyes and on your cheeks..that will help get rid of any fall out easier without making your face smudgy looking. If you decide after all of that, applying loose powder just isn't for you; you can always press them. I'm not sure who else carries a pressing medium, but I know Coastal Scents does. All you do is get the medium (basicall a bottle of liquid used for pressing powdered makeup) get a pot to press it into (they also carry the magnetic pallets and pots) and something to mix with. Follow the instructions on the mixing medium bottle and press the moist powder into the pot. When it dries it'll be just like any pressed eyeshadow you buy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That's my prefered method because it's cleaner and easier to travel with if need be. Hope that helps! Good luck!

I always apply them wet(with a mixing medium) over a sturdy base, if I don't, I use a sponge applicator and press on my lid gently smoothing it out otherwise you get so much fallout under the eyes. I use them over other shadows / water activated makeup too, just to add a sparkle seal and color to whatever I'm using, which can be fun if you get bored of the same old shadow but don't want to alter the color too much. Most use a sticky base, like the LA Splash base (which I do believe is specifically designed for their loose shadows), or Pixie Epoxy(sp?). I haven't tried the Epoxy, but the LA Splash works to a certain extent, if you don't mind that it won't look as foiled as when applied wet. NYX's lid base in the tube works somewhat.

Ultimately, a loose shadow is only missing the silicone pressing medium that holds it to the pan.  You can use a loose shadow just as you would a pressed one.  A good loose shadow doesn't require any different primer that you would need from a shadow in a pan.  They don't need to be wet unless you want to intensify the colours.  They don't need to be ultra primered or have any other products.  

The only difference is that its best to scoop a little out of the pot and into the lid or a separate container so you have better control and to minimize fallout.  

Actually, my name brand loose shadows($18 per pot) are in fact worse than the indie ones I've purchased, and the only different ingredient is the dimethicone and preservatives. They look pretty great for 30 mins to an hour, the silicone evaporates and I'm left with a dull translucent creased mess, much like the lower-end outcome if I don't prep. Pressed eyeshadows are more effective because of the emulsifiers and emolllients in the mix to keep everything together while adding moisture so it doesn't dry and flake off, thus the smooth application with little fallout. From what I've read it isn't recommended to add them to loose shadows because of the fear of bacteria, and such ingredients are said to ruin the plastic pots that they are commonly stored in.

Like any shadow, loose or pressed, you get crap and great in both.  Too bad your's sucked but there are lots that are great.  The ones made by me don't contain silicones nor preservatives and they don't fade.

Originally Posted by cursom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, my name brand loose shadows($18 per pot) are in fact worse than the indie ones I've purchased, and the only different ingredient is the dimethicone and preservatives. They look pretty great for 30 mins to an hour, the silicone evaporates and I'm left with a dull translucent creased mess, much like the lower-end outcome if I don't prep. Pressed eyeshadows are more effective because of the emulsifiers and emolllients in the mix to keep everything together while adding moisture so it doesn't dry and flake off, thus the smooth application with little fallout. From what I've read it isn't recommended to add them to loose shadows because of the fear of bacteria, and such ingredients are said to ruin the plastic pots that they are commonly stored in.

Thus the purpose of loose shadows. People generally don't want the added chemicals that make pressed eyeshadows somewhat superior in quality and wearability. Some don't prefer the sheerness, so they apply wet for more saturated color, which seems to be a common complaint of loose shadows. My lids are full of moisture and eat up any shadow without a base beforehand, so I'm doomed. :

I make sure that I have a base underneath to help the loose shadow to stick. I slowly pat it on my lids and then blend slowly. Always works for me. 

Back