How Do You Back Up Your Files?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents ?

I don't have a CD burner but it really irritates me having a bunch of lousy looking Cd's with my handwriting with a felt pen .. if they would make cooler looking Cd's

I use Xdrive.com

and Mozy.com

does an external hard drive count? it's not always hooked up. only when i need it.

OMG, backing up is so important. This is what I do:

My "My Documents" folder is copied to an external USB hard drive every night at 3am. I wrote a script that checks each file inside "My Documents" for file changes and copies ONLY the files that have been changed. It's a simple batch file that runs on a schedule that I set using this program: System Scheduler, Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP and 2003 Task Scheduling Software for free. I have it running every night at 3am.

I keep "My Documents" on it's very own hard drive and I keep everything important inside that folder.

My "My Documents" folder is 180 gigabytes so I can't backup to CDs lol.

I don't trust any online backup service at all, I only trust my TWO hard drives. Of one fails, the other has all my files and so on. Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time.

I might add that MuT's database is backed up, compressed and downloaded to a secure server that is offline unless the backup is happening. This happens everynight at 2am.

I'm a backup guru
smile.gif

I have a Half a TerraByte (500 gig) external Western Digital My Book USB 2.0 drive.. Bought it last weekend for $129 at BestBuy.. Backup all 4 of my PC's with tons of room to spare.. I also have extra 100 gig drives that I installed in each PC to do weekly backup of all data... Plus I have a 200 gig external that I use for critical work backup...

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) /img/forum/go_quote.gif Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time. I've seen it happen once, very very rare though. As you also say best way is to create a batch file or scheduled job.
Worst thing to do, imo, is to upload to a backup website.

I however don't practise what I preach and have been back-up free since...oh 2002 I think. Only 240Gb worth of data. If I had myself as a client I'd give myself an ear full down the phone
wink.gif

I will invest in a external drive soon.. very soon
smile.gif

I have been using Mozy for over 2 yrs and never had a problem and I encrypt my private stuff ..

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't trust any online backup service at all, I only trust my TWO hard drives. Of one fails, the other has all my files and so on. Never do you get TWO drives failing at the same time.

smile.gif

I have important stuff backed up onto CD. Also I'm in the process of getting my 1000s of photos printed and my short stories, etc printed out.

I have stuff like papers and resumes on a cd but i find that to be not the best idea for some reason. Im interested in reading what everyone else does.

I don't have anything backed up... oops. But I guess I don't have anything that important, just pics and music.

When i have to reformat i use cds but my music collection got ridiculously big on here so when that time comes, I'm going to buy an external drive.

i just put the files and burn a cd of it.

like i have tons of makeup cds of like thousands of pictures.

I will burn pictures and important documents to a dvd (has a greater capacity than cd)....has worked so far. Would love to get an external hard drive though

Latest posts

Back