How do you discipline teenagers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by VenusGoddess I totally agree with positive reinforcement. However, making sure they understand their choices and the consequences for those choices is vital, as well. It gives them the freedom to make choices, but they are also acutely aware of the consequences for those choices.
And, of course, consistency.
wink.gif

My parents do just this!

I am a teen, (im 14) and if im told do something, i dont always do it just to prove to my parents that they cant always make me do things and i have my own opinion now. Its too hard to explain!

I was always on the other side of the fence... I got the perfect grades (I got grounded for even getting a C!), and never caused trouble. I did everything I was supposed to do, and then some, yet I was still getting disciplined! What's up with that?!

On the other hand, my sister rebelled like crazy, didn't do anything she was supposed to, failed classes, and NEVER got in trouble! Where's the justice there?!

curfews!!! verryyyyy important. if u dont have a set curfew theyll juz walk in and out whenever they want. and make sure that they pick up their cell when u call, or else~

You have to, its your responsibilty. Kids these days are vulnerable to a lot of things. You have to be there parent and non of this freind stuff. You have to let them know you are my child I am your parent. I am an adult and you are a kid. Talk to them and spend time with them ask questions. STay tunned in their lives and instill in them the values of respect, hard worker, charcter, kindness, and keep them in check.

Well, #1, parents are always strict with their first born, you know, it's their first everything, by the time the 2nd one rolls around you are less paranoid and too tired!

-------------------------

I'm not a parent, but I'm 19, and do not rely on my parents any longer. I used to get in trouble, once in a while, but I was always a very good, trustworthy kid, so by the time I was 16, they knew I wasn't going to go down the street, do x, then go smoke crack on a highway and die...nothing like that. My brother is an *******, and I know that guys mature a lot slower than girls so...I'll give it to him a little. My moms biggest mistake is letting him take control. He is bigger than her, so he may be intimidating...but he's 16/17...and she's 45. He would never hurt her, I know. She ALWAYS, always gives in...you can't act like a pushover to your kids. She was always telling me that she couldn't stand the *****ing and moaning so she always gives him what he wants when he wants. My dad did it too. My brother is now 17, never worked a day in his life, straight up said he had zero desire to, yet he wants to move and be alone this year? haha. Very spoiled kid. Your kids go to school, and your kids sleep...they won't hand over their stuff, you TAKE IT.

I'll have to wait for 10 years until i will know what it is like to be a parent of a teenage daughter! But from what ppl say..it's not pleasant..so that's why i plan on relying on alcohol to get me through hard times....Hooray for Alcoholism!

hahaha, NO! Not! Well, everyone knows that toddlers are a handful! So, all i can say is..be persistent..don't give up...and get lots and lots of support and OPEN THE COMMUNCATION LINES and talk to them not down to them and come to a compromise! Most parents keep forgettting that they too were teenagers..Crazy teenagers probably and you need to ask yourself..do you trust him or her? If not..ask yourself why. Keep a journal and if that doesn't work..I suggest no to going out until you figure out whats happening in their lives cuz if you just let them be...you'll probably pay for it later!

17yr. old son. Have taken everything he has but his bed. Goes to school on Fridays and doesn't come home until Sunday night. Not sure what eles to do. Any ideas?

You educate them in an intellectual manner. Children, Teenagers, Young and Older Children can pick up a phony real easily. Some stuff you cannot talk about or be open. But if you tech them how the behavior is effective them and you, why they are doing it, what are they getting out of it, use expereince, etc to get to them. ALways Support them, but give them consequences.

My mom doesnt worrie about discipline with me. For real im never in trouble & im an angel. Go ahead ask here.

But as for that phone getting taken away, that didnt have an effect with any of my friends.

Back