How Far Beforehand Did You?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I have 1 year (grad mid next year) left of uni, and then I want to do masters which is another 3 semsesters (1.5 years roughly). Doing masters I might get a full time job but otherwise I'm just working part time as a full time student.

I've been thinking about, dreaming about and considering moving out for some time now, but it's just too expensive until i have a stable job.

I probably wouldn't move out with my bf for another 2 years at least, but I have found myself collecting bits and pieces for when I do. I have pie dishes, a coffee maker, and a collection of pictures that I've had framed to put up in my future home.

First of all, I guess I should get a big box to keep all this stuff in, but how long before you moved out did you collect things? did you collect at all? or did you just buy everything as soon as you moved in?

my sister bought her first house and will move in around jan, and my mum has bought her a whole lot of neccessities, 1 item per week - dishcloths and towel sets and bug spray and random things like that.

How about you?

I haven't moved out yet but definitely am collecting some items-- I have a lot of loungy-type chairs (about 3 of them), a desk, and a bunch of decorative items.
smile.gif

It's a great idea to start collecting things as soon as possible as long as you have the room to store it in the meantime! Wes and I didn't do anything like that, we moved in together just 3 weeks before our wedding and we moved in with stuff his family donated!

yeah but is it too far away??(timewise) I dont even know whether we are going to move overseas - we're thinking of doing uni/work in europe, in which case i'll have to buy over there. I'm so confused as to whether i should or not, LOL

I bought some of my housewares ahead of time. I saved a bit of money while I was looking for an apartment. I also shopped for furniture before I signed the lease. I had to wait two weeks to move in. The day before I moved in I bought all the furniture and had it delivered the day I moved in. Once I was settled I began to buy all the remaining necessities.

I bought alot of my knick-knacks, wall art and accents over the first year. All of that stuff really adds up!

I have been here six years and everything is just the way I wanted it. It took a little over a year to get everything. I bought the decor items in stages.

Here is my bedroom (I had this picture from the "Show us your bedroom" thread):
laughing.gif

myroom-1.jpg

Kat that looks gorgeous.

I guess i could get stuff and container ship it overseas if we move permanently. Some of it is from trips overseas and I didn't drag it halfway around the world just so I could leave it at mum and dad's in storage, LOL

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Kat that looks gorgeous.
I guess i could get stuff and container ship it overseas if we move permanently. Some of it is from trips overseas and I didn't drag it halfway around the world just so I could leave it at mum and dad's in storage, LOL

Thanks! My bed is my favorite out of all my stuff. I just love it!
I know what you mean. I wanted to take all my stamps and barbies (I collect them) with me. I just didn't have the room. I had to leave them at my Dad's.
frown.gif

Personally, when Wes and I moved here this year, we left all our furniture and personal belonging there. we only took our clothes and stuff like my makeup.

Big mistake! It would have been so much cheaper to have everything sent here! We ended up paying twice as much money re-stocking our apartment!

My parents bought me new furniture that can transition to a house if I ever move out on my own. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them... haha.

(the pictures are in 'show us your room' thread).

When I want to update my room, I now think of buying stuff that can work well with the decor I want in my future home. So no more knick-knack and kiddie stuff. Ha.

Don't wait until last minute, but start maybe, a year before, but space out how much you get...running out of room would suck.

That's what I did, and it worked out nicely.

Latest posts

Back