how far would you go?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is one thing i HATE about myself. when i want something, i want it now. it's not that i'm spoiled and complain because i pay for my own stuff and i work, but it's just how i am.

last night, i was shopping online, looking for a new bag since my last bag is so ugly now (fendi's fading into BROWNISH-ORANGE) and i came upon one bag and fell in LOVE. right away, i tried to figure out how i'd pay for it and try to convince myself it's a neccessity (yeah, right). it's $200, so this is what i did...

i tried to think of all the expensive things i've bought since may. i came up with about $400+ of spending on things i WANT, not NEED. i even called up my credit card company to see what my interest was if i bought it with my credit card, when my 0% APR ends, did A LOT of math, came up with reasons to justify my spending, cried a little (i'm actually laughing as i write that), wondered what my mom would do to me, what i wouldn't be able to buy with the $200 i spend on the bag, etc.

it's taken up about 5 hours in total - only in the end to learn i'm not too crazy about the bag.

i'm crazy. i know
icon_neutral.gif

what was something you REALLY wanted and went to the extreme to get?

hmmm.. here we go... my plan is to pledge a sorority in the very near future (dontcha just love the secrecy) - but the kicker is you have about a $1000 tucked away to be presented at a moment's notice should they decide to pick you... sooooooooooooo in order to be sure i'll have the dough, i made sure that my student loans will be huge so that i'll have the extra before i'll actually need it... and when i say huge, i mean HUGE...

outside of that, i try not to rationalize too much... being impulsive may have its drawbacks but think of all the awesome things impulsive people get and get to do... buyer's remorse is just not in my nature...
smile.gif

I'm way too frugal to do that, a few weeks ago I picked out about $30 worth of Mod Cosmetics that I wanted to order online and still haven't gotten around to actually ordering them yet! lol I would think twice before buying a purse that was over $40 even though I can easily afford it .... I've always been fairly frugal and right now we're trying to save up money so it's just worse!

Fortunately hubby is the same way so we never argue about money
wink.gif

However I admit that I'm always seeing things I want on TV or something, it's just that I usually end up choosing not to buy it because I'm a tightwad! lol (Every time I watch TLC's "What Not To Wear" it makes me want to go on the show so I can have $5000 to spend on trendy clothes!)

hm...I haven´t done any crazy things to get what I want yet. only this one time when I wanted to fly over to the US to see my host parents, 3 years ago. my parents were against it-without really giving me a reason.

so I booked the flight secretly (with my own money) and told my host family I´m coming over. I arranged a ride to the airport, planning on leaving my parent´s house at 5am with my luggage already packed a few days before and hidden at my friend´s house. crazy plan *lol*

I had the company send my tickets to a friend´s adress and she payed for them with my money. I gave those people MY home address only for emergencies....too bad they sent some sort of notification to my home adress. my parents opened it (they usually open my mail although I tell them not to!!), saw it, canceled my ticket and threw the letter away.

only to let me know I´m not going over to the US one week before the planned departure.
icon_evil.gif

Andrea, that's such a sad story! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I can't say I've ever done anything too extreme to get what I wanted. I generally only buy things if I have cash on hand which sets my spending limit no matter how much I like something. hmmm... the more I think about it I can't really think of anything that I really wanted that was difficult to get. I'm a real freebie and deal hunter so even expensive things I've wanted like a motorcycle and a trip to Japan were free or super cheap.

i don't really go to extremes. if i want something, or i'm low on spending cash, i sell off some stuff on ebay or something. but it's hard because i don't want to sell stuff away because they won't go for much
icon_confused.gif

glad i'm not the only one
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i want the bag again. now that my mom told me not to get it, i want it
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i want the bag again. now that my mom told me not to get it, i want it
icon_redface.gif
Let's see it. Post a pic if you can.

I'm like that too Jen... we must REALLY be twins!!! LOL

I think the biggest 'should I, shouldn't I " moment I had recently was when I was debating on spending $130 on the new CHI hair dryer. I had the devil on my one shoulder telling me what a 'deal' it was, the benefits of it, etc. and the cheap angel part of me on the other shoulder reminding me that I'd be spending that much on a BLOW DRYER! Welp! The devil won! LOL
icon_twisted.gif
I love the dryer, but I still feel embarrassed telling people (not into hair/makeup) that I spent that much on a dryer.... and my b/f is always sure to bring it up if I don't mention it! lol I have to explain myself over and over... but oh well, screw em' if they don't understand!! lol
wink.gif
I'm big on coupons and sales, so other than the occasional "Need it NOW" item or a MAC haul... I'm pretty good. But once something pops into my head... I have to have it NOW NOW NOW!!! lol
wink.gif

And Suzuki... how the heck did you get a motorcycle/trip for free or really cheap!!?!?!?
icon_eek.gif
SPILL IT GIRL!!! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

janelle, that's so funny. i'm good with most things, too, but this i really want, and i think it's kinda ugly!!

what do you all think? be honest.

this is my reasoning: i start college in sept. and i have things to carry around (books [not school, just reading since i'm traveling 3 hours a day], my sidekick II, wallet, ipod, etc.) and my bag now is too small and ugly-looking. i think this bag's OKAY, but the more i look at it, the more i want it LOL i'm not too sure if i'm crazy about leather, either.

Originally Posted by Jennifer janelle, that's so funny. i'm good with most things, too, but this i really want, and i think it's kinda ugly!!

this is my reasoning: i start college in sept. and i have things to carry around (books [not school, just reading since i'm traveling 3 hours a day], my sidekick II, wallet, ipod, etc.) and my bag now is too small and ugly-looking. i think this bag's OKAY, but the more i look at it, the more i want it LOL i'm not too sure if i'm crazy about leather, either.

Are you sure you don't want it just because you're on a Fendi kick?
wink.gif
lol Honestly, it's kinda plain... it's a little too zzz for me, but I guess you pay for the name. But in your case, that might not always be a good thing, if you pay a lot for a good brand, and it still doesn't live up to your expectations... I'd get a big bag that's cheaper and maybe with a little more 'hardware'
wink.gif
and then use whats left over on the new MAC collections coming out, some new clothes for school, or to save for a rainy day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Are you sure you don't want it just because you're on a Fendi kick?
wink.gif
lol Honestly, it's kinda plain... it's a little too zzz for me, but I guess you pay for the name. But in your case, that might not always be a good thing, if you pay a lot for a good brand, and it still doesn't live up to your expectations... I'd get a big bag that's cheaper and maybe with a little more 'hardware'
wink.gif
and then use whats left over on the new MAC collections coming out, some new clothes for school, or to save for a rainy day
smile.gif
i love fendi bags, but of course, i've looked at other designers, and none of them appeal to me like this does! it IS very plain, but that's what i want. if i could buy a bag that doesn't show the name except on the inside or something, i'd definitely go for that. i just want quality. the othe bag i have is fabric, so i'm steering away from those. i'm thinking (and hoping) this one wouldn't change colors.
thanks for your HONEST opinion
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Liz it's cute. it looks like a gucci bag
smile.gif
i loooove gucci, but they're a little too expensive for me
frown.gif

i once spent a LOAD on a mui mui bag. that was 2 years ago and i love it still. i wouldn't go into debt, but if you love it every time you carry it you'll be happy!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer janelle, that's so funny. i'm good with most things, too, but this i really want, and i think it's kinda ugly!!

Originally Posted by monniej i once spent a LOAD on a mui mui bag. that was 2 years ago and i love it still. i wouldn't go into debt, but if you love it every time you carry it you'll be happy!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
oh, i will. i saw it at bloomies yesterday and i fell in love even more. even my cousin was like, "wowwwwwww, i LOOOOOOVE it!" i think i'm gonna get it once i pay this month's bills and see how much i have left.

Originally Posted by Jennifer this is one thing i HATE about myself. when i want something, i want it now. it's not that i'm spoiled and complain because i pay for my own stuff and i work, but it's just how i am.
last night, i was shopping online, looking for a new bag since my last bag is so ugly now (fendi's fading into BROWNISH-ORANGE) and i came upon one bag and fell in LOVE. right away, i tried to figure out how i'd pay for it and try to convince myself it's a neccessity (yeah, right). it's $200, so this is what i did...

i tried to think of all the expensive things i've bought since may. i came up with about $400+ of spending on things i WANT, not NEED. i even called up my credit card company to see what my interest was if i bought it with my credit card, when my 0% APR ends, did A LOT of math, came up with reasons to justify my spending, cried a little (i'm actually laughing as i write that), wondered what my mom would do to me, what i wouldn't be able to buy with the $200 i spend on the bag, etc.

it's taken up about 5 hours in total - only in the end to learn i'm not too crazy about the bag.

i'm crazy. i know
icon_neutral.gif

what was something you REALLY wanted and went to the extreme to get?

Haha you sound like me. My philosophy is if I see something that I really want, I walk away and if I just can't stop thinking about it then I buy it. I used to be a huuuuuuuuge impulse buyer. I'm working on it though, so now I'm a moderate impulse buyer
icon_smile.gif
. I tend to forget about the things that I really need and buy the things that I really don't need. It's pathetic.

Originally Posted by ChristinaK Haha you sound like me. My philosophy is if I see something that I really want, I walk away and if I just can't stop thinking about it then I buy it. I used to be a huuuuuuuuge impulse buyer. I'm working on it though, so now I'm a moderate impulse buyer
icon_smile.gif
. I tend to forget about the things that I really need and buy the things that I really don't need. It's pathetic. im like that too, if i see something i like, i hide it somewhere so no one finds it, and walk away and then ill see if i REALLY want it. however ive gotten really bad lately, i just cant control myself and i just buy it then and there, but i need to start controlling myself again. especially with shoes. i know they will hurt and ill never wear them but theyre just so pretty i cant leave them there! i thought about bringing a camera and just snapping a picture of everything like that so then at least ill sorta have it, without having to spend on it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I like the bag (that's my speed)...LOL ~ If I like something and really want it, I buy it - I don't care, it makes ME happy...I can see where Janelle gets it from, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree !!!

Hey, we only go around once - so, I feel ~ what's a little pleasure in our life !!! It'll get paid...so what's the problem... JUSTIFIED !!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by K*O* I like the bag (that's my speed)...LOL ~ If I like something and really want it, I buy it - I don't care, it makes ME happy...I can see where Janelle gets it from, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree !!!
Hey, we only go around once - so, I feel ~ what's a little pleasure in our life !!! It'll get paid...so what's the problem... JUSTIFIED !!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i wish my mom had your attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back