How Long Do You Keep Your Makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like everyone here has a ton of makeup, myself including.

How long do you keep stuff before throwing it away (if you're not using it or its old). They say stuff like mascara, you shouldn't keep too long.

But (again myself included) I don't use every little thing in my makeup collection.

So when do you decide to ditch it ladies?

I am very good about replacing mascara every 3 months as recommended. (Then again, I only keep one mascara at a time -- I've always wondered if the girls with 10 mascaras in their stash actually buy 10 new ones every 3 months!) Face products I always use up before they expire, again because I only keep one or two of each item.

My oldest lipglosses and eyeshadows are only a year old though, since I've only recently started wearing mu ... I know you're supposed to replace them every 12-18 months or something, but I can't imagine that powder eyeshadow would really hurt you after 18 months! I'll probably just throw out lipglosses and such if the texture or scent ever change, or if I just go a long time without wearing them... Half of my stash isn't that great of quality so I won't even bother to repurchase when they expire anyway!

Yes I change mascara too in 4 months, otherwise it's very clumpy and dry on my lashes,sometimes I have allergies if I keep a mascara for a long time!! Also lipglosses that are very sticky doesn't last over a year like Mac's lipglasses!! Also gel eyeliners,sometimes dry very quickly!!! But powders and powder e/s last for a long time!!!

The only thing I religiously toss is my mascara every 3 months - sometimes sooner if I don't like it.
tongue.gif
However, for everything else I go by this: if it changes color, texture, or smell, I toss it. Sucks when it was something expensive, but I don't want to use anything that's turned on my skin!! Most of my stuff is 3 years old or less, and I've had no problems with much of anything turning, even lip products.

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme The only thing I religiously toss is my mascara every 3 months - sometimes sooner if I don't like it.
tongue.gif
However, for everything else I go by this: if it changes color, texture, or smell, I toss it. Same here...with powders, it's ok to keep them longer than the suggested one to two years, as they are not breeding grounds for bacteria. For others like foundations, lippies and such, if anything at all changes from the original condition on which they were bought, I toss them out. However, I did throw out a lot of glosses and lippies a few months ago even though they still look and smell ok....just to be on the safe side as some of them were older than 5 years old. YIKES!!!

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme The only thing I religiously toss is my mascara every 3 months - sometimes sooner if I don't like it.
tongue.gif
However, for everything else I go by this: if it changes color, texture, or smell, I toss it. Sucks when it was something expensive, but I don't want to use anything that's turned on my skin!! Most of my stuff is 3 years old or less, and I've had no problems with much of anything turning, even lip products. Same here.

Originally Posted by girl_geek I am very good about replacing mascara every 3 months as recommended. (Then again, I only keep one mascara at a time -- I've always wondered if the girls with 10 mascaras in their stash actually buy 10 new ones every 3 months!) I ditto what Erica says too.. Also in response to girl_geek, i have 2 or 3 different high end mascara's but i tend to use 2 of them now only for certain looks. Therefore they're not being opened and closed and exposed to air every day like my regular mascara (which i would toss after 3 months).. Get my drift?

I keep my mascaras for 3-6 mths. I have 7 mascaras now(all bought quite recently but only 1 is high end) & I tend to use 2-3 of them when I do my makeup( I like to layer different mascaras together as they can sometimes give a different effect from juz using 1 alone). anyway, the real reason I have so many mascaras is coz I am looking for the ultimate mascara that can CURL(my lashes don't really hold a curl well), volumise & lengthen...Ok, back to topic: I generally throw out something when it looks or smells funny, esp. mascaras & eyelinears, gloss...I'm not too worried 'bout eyeshadows or blushes. I do keep these for up to more than 1 year...

Mascara about 3 months, it gets clumpy around that time. I must admit to keeping everything else until I do a major clean-up and just toss the stuff I no longer find appealing.

i keep everything till it gets gross. lol. lipglosses, or at least mac's, can go bad. they get like this chemical/crayon type of smell or something. with foundations, when they look weird or feel weird.

To echo everyone else, I throw mascara out every 3-4 months and as for everything else, I use my best judgement. Honestly, I'll only toss my makeup if the odor changes, a film develops over powder or if the color changes.

Ie: I just tossed my Daiquiri Juicy Tube because I discovered it turned from hot pink color to a milky white consistency. Bleh!

Mascara really has a way of letting you know when it's past it's due date, doesn't it? It's like it is only made to last the three monthes it is safe to use. At that point it's a clumpy mess!..lol

I usually run out of things before they would go bad anyway but I never worry about eyeshadows. As long as you keep your brushes clean and use clean sponges and hands you should be okay. Also, it helps to keep your makeup stored away from direct heat or sunlight.

I throw mascara away every 3-4 months. I don't wear foundation every day (due to work) but I throw the sponges away every 5 uses or so. Everything else I keep until it smells/looks funky. Powder stuff will last for years. I've got MAC pigments that are batched to over 2 years ago and they're absolutely fine! I've just had a lipglass start to smell funny, it's about 18 months old, so that's gone in the back 2 mac bag.

I don't have a set time. Recently I did clean out my makeup stash and threw away a bunch of stuff but it was so old I don't remember when I got it. Years I'm sure and everything I threw out was in yucky shape. I wasn't wearing it anyway, just in the way. I don't have a huge stash of mascara. I do think anything near the eyes I'm more particular about. I've bought some mascara that was clumpy from the start. Yuk. Lately I've been into Aromaleigh Cosmetics and i've ordered enough samples to last me for years. I'm having a blast with all the colors though.

Once a year for me, and it's always when I ran out of MU.

Mascara, I have only one mascara and mascara coat. I buy mascara only when I don't have any mascara left in my makeup stash lol. When the mascara gets clumpy or dry, I just put it in a glass of warm/hot water for 20 to 30 minutes, clean the brush and shake it. So I can still use it. I don't have any allergies on cosmetics except occasional acne.

Eyeshadow and Powder, I usually keep them for years. I have my first loose powder MaxFactor I bought it 4 years ago, but I never use it because I have normal to dry skin before. (I don't even remember why I bought the loose powder though). But, recently my skin is changing and I was looking for loose powder for my oily skin, and I remember my very first loose powder I bought and it saved my days until I get my new loose powder. It's worth for the $35 MU investment lol. I''m still using it now though and I didn't get any trouble with it.

I toss my lipsticks when the odor starts to change.

I throw away foundation when it doesn't mix well anymore or has a smell. I usually go through lip gloss really fast so I have a chance to throw those out before they go bad, and I replace my mascara about every 3-4 months.

Back