How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take between 45 to an hour for a full face. A little longer if I'm trying something new or complicated with my hair. There are mornings when I have nowhere to go and not a lot of time to get up and get the kids ready for school. So with no makeup involved, my brushing teeth/face wash & skin care regime takes between 15-20 minutes with a quick brush of the hair, hair oil and a couple of bobbie pins to hold back my bangs thrown in. I'd say I hope my put-together gets quicker as I get better at applying all of my makeup, but that's not true. I love the process, it's cathartic. I wish I had more time to do it every day. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I give myself an hour from waking up and by then I am finished with breakfast. So it's basically wake up, brush teeth, make bed, get dressed, makeup time!, and breakfast and then I start my schoolwork.

I have to be at work by 7am, so a two-hour getting-ready process is *not* an option. Out of bed between 5:10 and 5:15, fifteen minutes (I set a timer) in the bathroom for makeup, toothbrushing, hair, etc., five minutes to get dressed (less if I've bothered to match up my socks. Searching for matching socks takes the longest out of the dressing portion of my morning), maybe a couple of minutes to sit with the kitties, an alarm at 5:40 to let me know it's time to feed the kitties and find my shoes, and then a final alarm at 5:45 to get out the door to catch the bus. I have to use this series of six alarms plus a timer in order to stay on schedule because I am *not* a morning person and must follow this ritualized process so I don't get sidetracked. It helps that I get my bag ready to go the night before (and my keys are attached to it, so no searching for my keys) so I just have to grab it and go, and I pretty much wear black pants every day, so I don't have to pick out an outfit. I just need to pick out a shirt. ETA: I'm a night-showerer as well! My dad was a timber cutter, so he took a shower pretty much the instant he got home from work, and my mom was a bath person, and those just aren't the same in the morning. And then in college and right after, I had jobs that you needed to wash off as soon as you got home (seafood market, dorm cafeteria, shipping/receiving department located in a parking garage), so I got in the habit as well. I did have to shower in the morning a few times a couple of years ago due to kitty illness, and I was shocked at how much it threw me off. Also, I have really thick hair, and I airdry (*hate* hair dryers!), so it takes hours for my hair to dry, and I am not about to leave the house with it wet because I did do the morning thing when I was in high school, and my hair would *freeze* on the way to school. I can do without a repeat of that experience!

20 minutes maybe. I don't work with customers and some days do a lot of grungy work, so I don't bother too much. 

Hrmm...

Well, it depends largely on how awake I am in the morning, what I have to do that day (work?  school?  bumming around?), etc.  If I've got to go to school or work, I try to start getting ready about 30 minutes before I leave, so I have enough time not to have to rush through the make-up thing.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

Also gives me about 10 minutes to pick out something to wear, wear it for five minutes, realize I hate it, and decide to change it.  

Make-up by itself doesn't take long...if I remember everything I'm trying to.  x_x;;;  (I need a morning checklist; I always forget moisturizer.)

EDIT:  Showering at night to save time wouldn't do any good, since I tend to wake up sweaty regardless.  And I *hate* feeling sweaty and icky.  x_x;;; When I shower, it can easily add 10 to 20 minutes to my get-ready time.  

About 10 minutes to wash my face and moisturize, 45 minutes for makeup, 5 minutes to get dressed, and a few seconds to throw my hair into a bun. Since I usually shower at night, it basically takes me around an hour altogether. However, I sometimes experiment with my makeup and take more time if I wake up early ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It really depends on the day... and how far behind I am! Most days, including showering and figuring out what to wear, I spend about an hour getting ready.

Depends on how ridiculous I decide to look, which varies greatly from one day to the next, lol. Generally, makeup takes me about 45 minutes...Hair can easily take 2 minutes (easy) or 1.5 hrs (I've got a crap ton of unruly hair)...getting dressed (assuming I can find what's in my mind) takes like, 3 minutes.

Anyone have any tips for getting ready faster? I got a new job and I start soo early.. and it's a 50 min to 1 hour drive away. Yuck.

I'm gonna pick out my outfit at night, lay it out too.. all the way down to undergarments and shoes.

Pack a lunch at night.

Pack my bag.

... Shower

Perhaps in the morning I'll do a quick bathroom run, for teeth, washing face etc. Then get dressed and either do my makeup in the car or get it down to a minimum routine that takes less than 3-5 minutes.

As far as hair... anyone have any tips? I have longer brown hair. It's wavy and just so annoying..

Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Anyone have any tips for getting ready faster? I got a new job and I start soo early.. and it's a 50 min to 1 hour drive away. Yuck.

I'm gonna pick out my outfit at night, lay it out too.. all the way down to undergarments and shoes.

Pack a lunch at night.

Pack my bag.

... Shower

Perhaps in the morning I'll do a quick bathroom run, for teeth, washing face etc. Then get dressed and either do my makeup in the car or get it down to a minimum routine that takes less than 3-5 minutes.

As far as hair... anyone have any tips? I have longer brown hair. It's wavy and just so annoying..

Just get your makeup down to minimum routine...avoid any car application...for everyone's sake :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hair...There's always a ponytail! You can doll it up with a braid around the elastic. Or a bun. Or a side-braid thing. There's tons of tutorials on youtube, bubzbeauty has a cute video using a ribbon to make simple hairstyles look fancier. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, I see this all the time on public transit, in cabs... Well, we all have... As for hair, a claw clip is genius, just pull your hair back and throw the clip in and you're done.

I second claw clips. I love doing my make up in the morning but can never be bothered to do anything with my hair. My approach to hair styling is brush and go - well, maybe apply some serum to the ends. Claw clips are great. I wish I had the motivation to do my hair in the morning but I just don't. Never have.

I can do my make up in 10 minutes if I'm in a rush but I usually take about 30-45 minutes to do my makeup in the morning because I like to drink tea and browse Facebook and other sites at the same time. This isn't really the best of habits because it means my laptop is always covered in concealer and other goo. Oops. 

It depends on how much time I have and how much effort I feel like putting into it.

When in a crunch, like 5-7 minutes.

If I feel like really taking my time and savoring the process (it can be so much fun!) about 30 minutes.

45 min to 1 hour, but that includes showering. I have to shower in the a.m. after I exercise. When I'm getting ready, I like to take my time and not rush.

I am groggy and grouchy in the morning.

It probably takes me about 5-10 minutes to do my makeup, 10-15 minutes to make my delicious breakfast smoothie, and I always give myself an extra 10-15 minutes to check MuT and mess around. If I'm really secure on time I'll do my hair which usually takes about 3-5 minutes. My whole routine can be anywhere from 30-45 minutes, depending. For those of you looking for fast and easy hairstyles, never underestimate the simple elegance of a French braid :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My reply was make up only. I probably should have made that clear. Now it sounds like I'm a total hobo. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by LillyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My reply was make up only. I probably should have made that clear. Now it sounds like I'm a total hobo. lol

Hahaha! I just assumed you showered the night before or something and were just a ninja at life in the morning. =p

Damn, it takes me forever to get my face on compared to everyone else. (Well, to be fair- I do extravagant eye makeup a lot of the time, and I experiment a ton. When I do straight up natural looks/normal makeup, it does only take me a leisurely 20 minutes...10 rushed.)

It can take me anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours.  It really depends on the day, what I have going on, where I have to be, how energetic I'm feeling.  I don't have a set time I have to be at work, I like to get there sometime between 9:00 and 11:00.  We have a new puppy, so that has made my morning routine longer.  Sometimes I straighten my hair, some times I just let it air dry.  I would say it takes about 20 minutes for a basic but complete make-up routine for me.    

I have to be finished before I walk out the door.  I don't know how to do makeup on the run.  I know of someone that takes here hair curlers out on the way. 

I have my get ready down to one hour..including shower hair makeup and coffee.

Back