How Many Credit Cards do you own?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to recent studies, most Americans carry between five and 10 credit cards -- although some people carry up to 50. Most experts, however, say there's no single magic number of cards that most people should have.

This goes for ALL Credit Cards, not just VISA or MCs

How many credit cards do you currently own?

Please VOTE and Reply back also with your answer.

We have 10 to 20 prolly including Banks, deptartment stores, electronics stores, etc. But NEVER carry revolving debt on them. When we use them, they are paid off each month resetting the amount to zero. I feel really lucky that we can do this each month.

It hasn't always been this way in my life though!!!!
wink.gif

LOL- I hear ya tony.. I have a few myself. I try not to use them anymore.. I am so glad MAC does not have a credit card though..oy. .i would be in big trouble!

Originally Posted by MacForMe LOL- I hear ya tony.. I have a few myself. I try not to use them anymore.. I am so glad MAC does not have a credit card though..oy. .i would be in big trouble! Oh I hear ya on that!!!
icon_eek.gif

I have 3 that I use.

-My debit/credit card

-American Express

-Visa

That's it for me!

I have four and I am proud to say I never had a finance charge with any of them. I get the bill and it gets paid in full.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have too many
icon_evil.gif
its hard to manage all of them, recently i was late with my payment for sears only 2 days and it was my first time... the fee was 29, i think a bit too much. I called them but they did not cancel it.. even though it was an isolated incident, and i always spend a lot of money there. I decided to cancel my account with them
icon_evil.gif
i will try to keep as little as possible cause when i have too many i get lost with all the bills and its harder to keep track of spending.

I don´t have one, and neither do any of my friends, even the ones who work and make their own money. it´s not that usual for people over here to have them. people usually get them when they go on vacation somewhere else or to order stuff from the internet (which is also not as common as in the US)

however, I got one during my exchange student programme. I went nuts...I spent twice the amount that my parents planned for me, but they actually told me after I was already home. after that dad said I will never get one until I start working myself
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Arielle I don´t have one, and neither do any of my friends, even the ones who work and make their own money. it´s not that usual for people over here to have them. people usually get them when they go on vacation somewhere else or to order stuff from the internet (which is also not as common as in the US)
however, I got one during my exchange student programme. I went nuts...I spent twice the amount that my parents planned for me, but they actually told me after I was already home. after that dad said I will never get one until I start working myself
icon_cheesygrin.gif

It's actually good to have one credit card to build up your credit history. Well, in the US it is. (As long as you know to not go nuts, and is used properly lol.)
It's preferable to help establish credit. To help get that loan. To help get that mortgage. ect.... My husband and I wouldn't of been preapproved for a mortgage if we didn't have a credit history.

I wouldn't of got a loan for my car if I didn't have established credit. It also helps if there is an emergency. It's a card that it's history proves I pay off my debts.
icon_wink.gif

i have bad credit.
icon_redface.gif

i had 1 CC and a macy's card, and didn't do so well with those.

i just got a new CC to help build my credit back up though.

Right now we have no credit cards (but we do have debit cards for online purchases and such). We have no credit history right now and were denied a Discover card, so we're going to apply for a Capital One card to start building up our credit! Then hopefully in a year or so we'll be able to get a Discover card or something else that gives you cash back -- my parents buy everything they can on their Discover card for the cash back. They ended up getting almost $200 cash back when they paid my brother's college tuition on the Discover card
biggrin.gif

However I can't imagine ever having more than just a few credit cards .... We both insist on paying the full cc bill each month (no sense in paying crazy interest rates!) so it's not like having additional cards will give us "more money" (or rather, more credit) ... and I've never seen the point of getting store or gas cc's unless I shop there all the time and the cards give you awesome benefits, otherwise I'll just use my regular cc. Less bills to worry about
wink.gif

I have two credit cards! I hate them, they are evil!!!
icon_twisted.gif
I start thinking....."it's not REAL money, I don't have to pay it back RIGHT NOW". Then next thing I know....BAM! And I'm screwed!

Originally Posted by vanilla_sky I have too many
icon_evil.gif
its hard to manage all of them, recently i was late with my payment for sears only 2 days and it was my first time... the fee was 29, i think a bit too much. I called them but they did not cancel it.. even though it was an isolated incident, and i always spend a lot of money there. I decided to cancel my account with them
icon_evil.gif
i will try to keep as little as possible cause when i have too many i get lost with all the bills and its harder to keep track of spending. OMG! JERKS!
icon_evil.gif
Wow! i woulda been MAD too! Cancel THAT!

Originally Posted by tashbash I hate them, they are evil!!!
icon_twisted.gif
I start thinking....."it's not REAL money, I don't have to pay it back RIGHT NOW". Then next thing I know....BAM! And I'm screwed! I second that, I wish I had never got ANY, they put me in a right mess and for the past year or so I've been trying my complete hardest to get rid of them. I had quite a few store cards, plus 2 mastercards and my debit card which I think is auite alot for my age. I did have untill recently about 8 or 9
icon_eek.gif
but now I'm down to 4 and by this time next year I want to be down to just the one or maybe even none
icon_cheesygrin.gif

We charge everything on our Upromise citibank card, and pay it off twice a month. Hailey gets 1% of out charges into her college fund which has really added up since we started it a few months ago.

I also have a JCP, Victoria's Secret, and a Amazon MC. I rarely use any of those unless there is a special promotion that you have to use the CC to get the discount.

Well, I wasn't going to add anything b/c I think its really embarassing... but oh well. When I was 18 I got a Macy's card... bought some small things & paid it in full each month to help build my credit up... a month later, I got a Stern's card. Did the same with that. By the end of the year, I had 2 mastercards, a Gateway CC (I'll get into that in a min.), Macy's, Sterns, Mandee's, Target, & Radio Shack. I was actually going to cancel the store ones since I got the MC's from using the store ones to build up my credit... since I could just use the MC at the store & not have to have a store card. They all had 0 balances except for a few hundred on the MC's that I used when my car broke down. Well, along comes my ex-boyfriend... (now this was like 5 years ago) and he had no credit. Well since we were together awhile, I thought I could trust him. He would ask me to put something on my card if he didn't have $ on him - and he'd pay me back. Well, at first he did. He would give me the $ at the end of the week - or whenever, and I'd pay the bill in full. Well, eventually - the purchase amt's were higher (b/c they raised my limits as a result of my good credit) and after awhile, instead of getting the full amt. from him - he'd give me like half, and give me the 'I'll give it to you next week' lines... well eventually he just stopped giving me $, the minimum payments were more than I could afford (with all the cards I had) and then it just snowballed with late fees, interest charges, etc... until I was at least $10,000 in debt. (Maybe more, I lost count). Oh, and about the Gateway one - Well, during the time he WAS paying me... we go shopping around Xmas time... he tells me he is going to buy me a new computer for Xmas. Now my old one wasn't THAT bad, but when I heard 'new' and 'computer' in the same sentence.. my common sense just flew out the window! Well, needless to say - that Xmas gift had to be paid on a CC that had to be opened in MY name.. (Yes, I was stupid. VERY stupid. 18-19 yrs. old & VERY VERY stupid) Well, this computer was $1,499.00 - $80 a month. No matter my waryness, I was 'assured' that no matter what happened, whether we broke up, fought, this, that ... whatever... it was my "gift" and he would make the payments on it. Well, 6 months later I finally get a bill (he said he would take the bills b/c he worked across the street from Gateway and was going there on lunch to pay it) well.. needless to say not ONE payment was made. So, that was a big chunk of my debt - b/c $1499 went up to about $3400 after the fees. Plus there were times he'd take my card and order crap from catalogs... take my atm card and take money from my bank w/o me knowing... just an all around 'nice' guy.
cool.gif
but anyhoo... I couldnt' pay it off - they wanted more than I could give, their idea of a settlement was like 80% of the debt... but had to be paid in full. Now when the bill is several thousand, 80% in full is not something I could pull out of the air... so I've spent those months and years never answering my phone, dreading the mailman... and just was miserable - kicking myself for being so stupid and gullible to think that I could trust him. Well, after we broke up way back when - he disappeared, with his spotless credit (b/c he didnt' have any to destroy) and was on to the next girl to soak up her $. Unfortunately she had her new car repo'ed because he was going to "make her payments". I couldnt' warn her in time. She lost $, her license too from what she said - b/c he was 'paying her insurance' LOLOL (Yeah right - it lapsed) Well, 2 months ago, my dad came to my rescue and used $ from a loan to pay off my debt. Luckily it wasn't as much as it was before - because at this point, it's been so long - that they were pretty much willing to settle for anything lol. Well, although for the last year I was able to have a cell phone in my name (how that happened, I have no clue) but before that... it was either pre-paid cells or under someone else's name. It finally feels like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders. Although all my accounts have closed, my Mandee card still was active (which I just found out about a month ago) being that was the only one he wouldn't use (girls clothing store lol) and still have a 0 balance from the good ol' days when I paid everything in full. Well, I used it last month - just for laughs, and it worked! I charged $13.04 on some earrings and hair clips. (They had to use the card to check if it was active - so I had no choice) but... maybe this will help a little, if anything - I paid my 'huge' bill of $13.04 in full... lol then used it again for a pair of $10 pants. Which I will pay in full when the bill comes. (I think I can swing $10 lol) but maybe it will show that I'm paying - I dunno... cant hurt I guess. I've had no late payments on my cell in the past year, but I don't know if that counts... but hopefully one day I'll be back to being the person I once was with the great credit.
rolleyes.gif
Although I feel really bad and embarrased that my dad had to bail me out... but without them willing to budge on payments, and the $ I make, I wouldn't have been able to put it under control. But I must say... if there was one lesson I learned in life.. that was it.
icon_neutral.gif
And I know that I will NEVER let that happen again.
icon_confused.gif
Sorry for the long rant... but it's hard to sum up 6 years in a short post! LOL

So if you have good credit... do whatever you can to keep it that way!!!

Originally Posted by Msfashionguru Thanks for sharing your story. I know it was hard and took alot of courage. I appreciate that. Thanks... it's hard telling people - mainly b/c its really my own business... and it just makes people give me the "are you dumb!?!?" response... yeah, I was stupid, but live and learn.
rolleyes.gif

janelle, wow. i am SO sorry you, of all people, had to go through that. i could only imagine how horrible it was. oh, and don't be embarrassed. everyone makes mistakes. i'm glad everything worked out, even though it took 6 years.

i have a mastercard, macy's, and bloomingdale's. i opened the macy's and bloomies up, though, just for the 15% on the purchase when i opened it up LOL i cut them up and threw them out right away.

i got my first CC about 2-3 months ago, with my bills at least $300, and i've paid all of them off in full. my mom took my card away, though, because i asked her to, but it doesn't help i memorize the number
icon_mad.gif
i could afford it, but why spend so much on things i don't need? i've been very good lately and i know how to control my money, but we ALL know sometimes we just gotta splurge!!!!!!!

lol - thanks chick - but actually a lot of good came out of it...

I'm more responsible with my money

I'm better at judging people I'm with

and learning to live on cash and debit for so long - I got used to only spending what I can afford and have the $ in the bank to pay for.
icon_wink.gif

Just be sure to CLOSE the accounts for the cards you cut up... even though you psyically destroyed them, you still have an account, and even if you don't use it... it's still a revolving account, and having too many can actually hurt your credit too. Ironic ain't it? lol

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) According to recent studies, most Americans carry between five and 10 credit cards -- although some people carry up to 50. Most experts, however, say there's no single magic number of cards that most people should have.
This goes for ALL Credit Cards, not just VISA or MCs

How many credit cards do you currently own?

Please VOTE and Reply back also with your answer.

I had SEVEN 2 years ago, but i got rid of them and i'm now down to three main ones...credit cards are the devil!

Latest posts

Back