How this will work.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yousoldtheworld

Michaela
Reaction score
Here's a general idea of what will happen once we get the participants lined up.  These boxes tend to work best with 10 or fewer participants each, so if we have a lot of interested people, we may divide into two groups and do two boxes.  

We'll pick someone to start the box (this is usually someone with a LOT of samples to contribute).  They will pop everything they want to send in a flat rate box, make a list of what's in there, and send it to the next person on the list.  The next person will take out what they want, then do the same, crossing off what they take and adding their contributions.  This will continue until the last person on the list gets the box, then they will send it back to the first person.  The first person can use anything unwanted they receive for the next round of boxes. 

I've done this before with tea, and it was a lot of fun!  Post any ideas or suggestions you may have, please. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Shouldn't there be a minimum numbers of items the box should have? Does it matter if a person is contributing high end vs drugstore items? Will this be only tiny foil packets or a mixture of items. I have all the type of items noted so I am flexible. 

I have a sample society and a beauty army box both full of samples that I could care less if I ever use, so I could definitely start...

I think in general, things should be kept pretty flexible.  This is just something fun, and putting too many rules on it can kill the fun.  The biggest thing is just common courtesy - for example, obviously don't send an empty box onto the next person, don't take 50 samples if you're only putting in 2, things like that.  I think most people who post here will be pretty good about this.  But no need to be strict about counting samples and things like that - some people will have a ton to contribute, some will have less, and that's okay.

High end and drugstore samples are both fine. Makeup, skincare, body care, whatever. We initially thought of doing this as a way of getting rid of the little foil packets/sachets that aren't really worth the trouble to trade individually, but by all means, if a person wanted to put in a larger sample or even a full sized product, space allowing, that'd be fine.  

We should decide on a date to start.  What if we planned on the first box shipping the first week of April?  That way it'd give people some time to decide if they want to join, and give us some time to properly organize. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We should decide on a date to start.  What if we planned on the first box shipping the first week of April?  That way it'd give people some time to decide if they want to join, and give us some time to properly organize. Thoughts?

That sounds good to me. I'll probably have more samples to throw in by then, too, lol.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a sample society and a beauty army box both full of samples that I could care less if I ever use, so I could definitely start...

I can go second and can resend ASAP. I have a lot of stuff.

I think in general, things should be kept pretty flexible.  This is just something fun, and putting too many rules on it can kill the fun.  The biggest thing is just common courtesy - for example, obviously don't send an empty box onto the next person, don't take 50 samples if you're only putting in 2, things like that.  I think most people who post here will be pretty good about this.  But no need to be strict about counting samples and things like that - some people will have a ton to contribute, some will have less, and that's okay.

High end and drugstore samples are both fine. Makeup, skincare, body care, whatever. We initially thought of doing this as a way of getting rid of the little foil packets/sachets that aren't really worth the trouble to trade individually, but by all means, if a person wanted to put in a larger sample or even a full sized product, space allowing, that'd be fine.  
Sounds good.

I just got REALLY excited about this and already put together the box I'll be sending out if I'm first. I really needed to clear out some space so there is a lot of stuff in there that I'm sure someone else will have a good home for! Its mostly packets and tubes of skincare, but I had 2 lipglosses still in their wrappers that I threw in and 3 eyeliners also still in plastic wrappers. There are about 25 things in the box, because some of the stuff is big...is that a good enough start, do you think? 

(or I could move it to a shoe box instead of a sample society box but then shipping goes up and I don't want things to be do expensive! 

Yeah, sounds great! I was planning on going through all of my stuff tonight, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for the box/mailing, It's been a while since I mailed any packages, so I'm not too sure of shipping rates right now. I know a small flat rate box costs 5.15 to ship, but I'm not sure if that'd be big enough once a couple of people have gone.  The sample society box should be fine, I think.  If anyone along the way needs to switch out for a larger box, that shouldn't be too big of a deal.  

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got REALLY excited about this and already put together the box I'll be sending out if I'm first. I really needed to clear out some space so there is a lot of stuff in there that I'm sure someone else will have a good home for! Its mostly packets and tubes of skincare, but I had 2 lipglosses still in their wrappers that I threw in and 3 eyeliners also still in plastic wrappers. There are about 25 things in the box, because some of the stuff is big...is that a good enough start, do you think? 

Sounds good, I'll put you down for 2nd!

Originally Posted by Ampym /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can go second and can resend ASAP. I have a lot of stuff.

The flat rate box may be the best idea for shipping since as the weight increases the shipping may get insane. Plus, the size of the box wouldnt be eligible for first class and parcel post is expensive and based not just on weight but distance. 

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The flat rate box may be the best idea for shipping since as the weight increases the shipping may get insane. Plus, the size of the box wouldnt be eligible for first class and parcel post is expensive and based not just on weight but distance. 

Yup, that is what I was thinking too, although the amount of samples I've got probably won't fit in the small box. If we have enough participants, I would be willing to participate in two and split the samples up. 

What is the medium flat rate box - $10 something?  that's a little high, BUT at least we'd know how much it'd cost.  Would you guys be willing to do a medium flat rate box?

What is the medium flat rate box - $10 something?  that's a little high, BUT at least we'd know how much it'd cost.  Would you guys be willing to do a medium flat rate box?

Yeah I think its something like 10.85, which is kind of high, imo. At least the packaging to ship in would be free though.

I agree. This is not the same as a 1 to 1 swap. The point is to pass on stuff you won't use anyway. You can put me at whatever number in the rotation is convenient. I will have more stuff after April 15th, of course, but we all will. Should it all be unused/unswatched, or just specify if it has been?

I guess we'll wait for others to weigh in, too.  On one hand, I don't want us all to feel like we're paying a fortune to ship.  On the other hand, I don't want someone being surprised when they go to mail it by an enormous shipping rate as the box gets heavier.  Of course, it'll help with prices if we put the order just right instead of having every person ship all the way across the country, too.  

Back