How To Be A Lady:101

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nox

Reaction score
What are some of the the things your mother/grandma/aunts taught you as a child? Was there any advice that she gave that has served you even today as a grown woman? What were they?

- My mother always told me to save my change, even if I have to break a full dollar to pay a penny to the cashier.

- My mother always told me as a girl that a husband always likes "clean privates", and that even if you didn't get to wash that day, that you should always find a way to clean down there every time you go to the bathroom and every night before bed.

- My mother told me every lady should own a good pair of nude pantyhose, and a slip to wear underneath all her skirts and dresses.

- My mother always told me to wear only white or black underwear during my monthly, otherwise your good panties will have to become "period drawers". Whites can be hand-washed and bleached, and blacks will not show stains at all.

I see wisdom runs in the family
smile.gif

Growing up, my mother taught me the benefits of being careful with your money. When I was little we had next to nothing, and we only got by because people were kind enough to give us things when we really needed them. My mom clipped coupons like a madwoman, she always sent in those mail-in rebates when she got them, and we only bought what we needed. She turned me into a complete bargain shopper and I learned just how far you can make money stretch if you really need to.

My mom never bought nice things for herself. It wasn't even until the last few years that she started buying herself nice clothes and whatnot. She's showed me how to be selfless. If she has money and knows someone who needs it, she'll give it to them... however much they need.

She buys things for people when she knows they're not able to get it for themselves. A good example-- she has a friend who is going through a nasty divorce, and among other things, her husband took the car away. So this friend had no car to get to work, get her kids to school, and all that. My mom bought her a car. Well, she took out a lease for a nice used car, and she's letting the friend pay it back whenever she can. Amazing.

I truly hope that when I have my own money and resources that I'll have opportunities to give to people as much as my mom has.

Originally Posted by JennyMcL /img/forum/go_quote.gif I see wisdom runs in the family
smile.gif
Thank you. First credits go to God and Momma (and Daddy...sometimes. He's a bit silly with the 'macho' every once in a while
wink.gif
).
I just thought maybe we could share and trade some of the wisdom handed down to us from our elders.
icon_smile.gif

Mine told me almost nothing about being a woman.... either that or I wasn't paying attention when she told my sister.... but she did tell me to wear clean underware cause I might be in an accident.... but the way I figure it even if they were clean, they wouldn't be afer the accident... lol Ohhh she did tell me to keep my mitts off her bras.... So I went out and bought my own....

Karren

I think I picked up on most things by watching. My maternal grandmother is truly the kindest person I have ever known. She never has a bad word about anyone and is the epitome of a glass half full type of person. I aspire to be more like her. She has taught me tolerance through observation.

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mine told me almost nothing about being a woman.... either that or I wasn't paying attention when she told my sister.... but she did tell me to wear clean underware cause I might be in an accident.... but the way I figure it even if they were clean, they wouldn't be afer the accident... lol Ohhh she did tell me to keep my mitts off her bras.... So I went out and bought my own....
Karren

Karren,
I understand your experience may differ somewhat, LOL. Now that you're a full grown adult, what would you pass down as sage advice on how to be a Lady?

Both of grandmothers were very strong influences in my life and, ironically, they taught me two very different points of view.

My paternal grandmother taught me to appreciate the beautiful, finer things in life; for example, even though we were poor and were constantly stretching our food budget, she taught me perfect table manners and we practiced formal dining everyday at lunch. She also stressed that a woman should take time with her appearance and be mindful of the appearance she projected.

In constrast, my maternal grandmother taught me to be practical and down-to-earth. She stressed that a woman should be more concerned with being self-sufficient and intelligent than good-looking as looks are always temporary and often mis-interperted.

I'm grateful to have had both of these views instilled in me at such a young age because I feel it's made me very grateful for the finer things in life and given me a great appreciation for beauty but kept me grounded and practical about my finances and my appearance.

My mother told me to focus on my education because it will pay off in life

My mother told me to be more gentle and careful in all that I do

My mother told me to do the chores so that when I am a mother and a wife, it wont come as a surprise (..and she was right. I am neither a mother or a wife but with Chris, its hard not to imagine myself and I get to perform some wifely duties like cleaning up and cooking for him sometimes)

My mother told me to always praise God for whatever I have. If you praise him, he will give you more.

My mother taught me not to be dependent on men. She is a single mother of 3 (ages 24, 21 and 19).

Oh, so much. To get a college degree, because it's important. She tought me soooo much about skincare and make up and stuff. Family life. How to be with your husband etc etc.

not to burp out loud.. i still do.. i depress my mom wen it comes to being a lady.. i fart burp. cuss like a sailor. lol.. its bad.. but im just me..

My moms always tell me to make my bed. She says the way a bed is made or not made is one of the main things about a bedroom and how people will view your room.

Originally Posted by Jesskaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif My moms always tell me to make my bed. She says the way a bed is made or not made is one of the main things about a bedroom and how people will view your room. Yes!
applaus.gif
My mother also told me this and I think what they say about "a made bed" is very true!

True story that may or may not be "lady like":

My great grandmother told me:

Don't take sh*t from men. The more you have your face up their butt, the less they will have to do with you. The less you have your face up their butt, the more they are in yours!

When someone is mad, they are only mad because they had to get off their butt and do something.

My grandmother told me:

When some one calls you a b*tch, and when you look at the people calling you that and don't want to be ANY thing like them, then it's a complement and means your doing something right. And, I should say thank you after they call me a b*tch.

My mother told me:

Don't worry about other people. Don't go to your death bed wishing you had done something but didn't because you were afraid of other's opinions.

My mother told to me: A man is not a financial plan

To always shave underarms and legs

To keep a clean house (blew that one!)

Prepare a big homecooked meal every Sunday

Always eat Fish on Fridays

Your friends are not always your true friends

A woman will cut you to get a man

Eat fruit, beans, veggies, and oatmeal regularly

Always wear white all cotton brief panties (they will keep

you sweet----she was right on that one too!)

My mom always told me to be confortable in my own skin, which is kind of odd since she dosne't make it easy to do so.

learn to take care of yourself (food, clothing, shelter), and if you find a good man that's the icing on the cake!

be mindful of how you care for you body! you'll always smell yourself first!

sip your drink, don't guzzle! getting drunk is not attractive at all!

never leave the house in curlers or slippers! you have an image to uphold!

never continue to wear chipped polish on your fingers or toes. it's a sign that you don't care about you appearance.

always treat others the way you want to be treated. this way you insure you'll have good karma.

never expect others to do for you the things you should do for yourself.

Latest posts

Back