How To Begin a Weight Loss/Diet Plan?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been wanting to lose weight since high school and my biggest problem for me is starting (and staying) on a plan. Plus coming from a family who loves to eat, they think I'm being stuck-up or snooty when I don't want to eat the food.

But my main question is what can I do, and how can I go about starting a diet and exercise plan and stick with it??

I can't speak for anyone else, but I found that easing myself into a healthy lifestyle was a lot easier than diving head first into it.

Initially, I started working out 3-4 times a week and didn't change any eating habits. That included multiple trips to taco bell and a pizza or two a week. Once I noticed that much of my workout was being wasted because I was still eating these things, I slowly started to take away bad foods and add good foods. I started drinking high-protein Boost in the mornings and cutting back on the fast foods. I learned to use a Foreman grill
smile.gif
and cooked up chicken breasts and salmon for dinners. I continued working out and slowly learned more about it just by going and talking to people.

Well, before you know it taco bell was no longer a part of my diet, I was in better shape, and going to the gym sorta became embedded into my routine. I think if you make small steps but stay focused on where you want to be, and maybe improve one thing a week, you can gradually ease yourself into a healthy lifestyle. I think the #1 reason why diets and workout regimens fail is because it's too drastic of a change and not sustainable in the long term.

Maybe you should make it a point to post back in this thread every time you improve something, that way you'll have a record of your changes and progress, and maybe gain some moral support from others as well.
smile.gif

I really want to join the gym so for a beginner how much exercise do you guys think is a good start? Like how long on a treadmill/elliptical. Im already doing some walking and strength training at home but i wasnt to add some more cardio.

From my experience the first thing to do is figure out your basal metabolism. There are all sorts of calculators on-line. You basal metabolism tells you how many calories you need to maintain your weight. I'd then start by slashing those calories by about 15-20%. If you do that you'll have a healthy 1-2 pound a week loss at least in the beginning.

In terms of using a gym, I'm off to my gym after I'm done here. If you can afford it start with a few sessions with a trainer to get an idea for what you're doing. Your workout should include both strength training and cardio. The cardio will burn more calories, but strength training will give you that nice toned look and crank up your metabolism so you burn more calories throughout the day.

Good luck!

Back