How to Cover Blotchy Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dilemma Of The Week: How Can I Cover Up My Blotchy Skin?

<!-- End: contenthead -->by Deborah Grayson

<!-- End DART Tag --><!-- End: advert --><!-- End: advertWrapper --><!-- Article Content -->My skin's getting blotchier the older I become. Lotion-based foundations don't cover well enough, and the ones that do cover settle in the little cracks in my skin, making it look even worse. Any suggestions?

When you say blotchy, I'm assuming you mean that the skin tone looks uneven, red or freckly, which is why foundation was invented. If it were only that easy! In fact, there are dozens of foundations, and getting the right one that has enough pigment to cover, yet blends smoothly over the skin without creating a strange consistency of its own, is a challenge. But that's why I'm here, and this is what you're going to do:

<LI>First, it's essential to prep your skin. Makeup will only lay as smooth as the skin beneath it. There are a myriad of skin-smoothing products on the market, including at-home peels, that'll smooth away rough patches, exposing the smooth skin underneath.

<LI>When you're shopping for foundation, choose a product based on your skin type. If you have dry skin, try a moisturizing formula, and if you have oily skin, use a water-based formula.

<LI>Don't just consider your foundation's texture and consistency. Also look for what's called color saturation. When you're covering a trouble spot, you need more pigment in your foundation because it's the pigment that smooths out over the discolored skin and blends the spot away. That usually means you'll have to pay more money. Higher-end products tend to contain higher levels of pigment.

<LI>Don't put on too much product and do take your time applying it. When you add too much product to your face, that in itself creates thickness and an unnatural-looking finish. Start with less than you might be accustomed to. Apply it evenly and let it sit for 20 seconds or so. Then, if you haven't achieved the amount of coverage you're looking for, apply more product carefully and lightly over it.

Recommendations:

Product name: N.V. Perricone MD Face Firming Activator

This is a top-of-the-line skin treatment containing the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid, which provides a gentle lift by helping to lessen skin's inflammation. That, coupled with glycolic acid to remove dead skin cells and keep the face's surface clean, makes it an excellent and very popular prelude to makeup.

Price: $95

Available: NVPerriconeMD.com

Product name: Murad Skin Smoothing Treatment SPF 15

I love this smoothing lotion because, aside from being gentle, it just rubs off dry, flaky skin. Apply it after you wash, gently massage it in and you'll feel smooth, polished, moist and clearly prepped for makeup.

Price: $52

Available: Murad.com

Product name: DermaNew Facial Microdermabrasion System

An at-home facial appliance specially designed to improve the texture of facial skin, this "resurfacing tool" can be used for three to five minutes four times a week. What's so amazing about it is that it gives you a truly stimulating facial massage while smoothing away rough patches and dead skin cells, preparing the skin beautifully for foundation. In fact, you may be tempted to ditch the foundation altogether because you'll feel so good after using this!

Price: $80

Available: DermaNew.com

Product name: Make Up For Ever Face & Body Liquid Make-Up

This is one of my favorites; you'll always find it in my kit. It's a highly pigmented, water-based foundation that comes in a gel formula. The consistency is like soft rain water, and the coverage is excellent.

Price: $37

Available: Go to MakeUpForEver.com for retail locations.

Product name: Visiora Crème Face Makeup

Here's a little makeup artist's secret for you: This highly pigmented, yet extraordinarily lightweight, foundation was specifically designed for the television and movie industry and can only be purchased at professional distributors. So there. Now you know!

Price: $37

Available: AlconeCo.com

Product name: MAC Full Coverage Foundation

This heavy-duty product was developed for the professional makeup artist who needs an emollient-based foundation with opaque coverage. It's water-resistant and can cover most scars, blemishes and birthmarks.

Price: $24.50

Available: MACCosmetics.com

Product name: Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Foundation

I'm mentioning this product because it's just so good and unexpected. For those of you who, for whatever reason, can't wear liquid, this is 100 percent natural ground-up minerals, containing no fragrance, preservatives, talc or oil. It's a loose powder that's so light and fine. As Bare Escentuals' president, Leslie Blodgett, puts it, "This is not the powder you know; this is the powder you've never met before in your life." And I have to agree. It's amazingly sheer while it covers remarkably well.

Price: $25

Available: 800-227-3990

Nice post Diane. It gives me alot to work with. I still have not found my hg in foundation. I'm going to check all of them out!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Thank you for posting this. I have this issue and BE has really helped me out a lot!

Latest posts

Back