How to get rid of water retention? What are your strategies?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like the title says, I am wondering how to get rid of water retention.

I find that for me water retention is a pattern along with my menstrual cycle. When my period ends I don't have any water retention and am satisfied with the way my body looks.

But mid-cycle (around the time of ovulation) I start retaining water like crazy. It's mostly in my abdomen (on the worst days it almost looks like I'm 3-4 months pregnant) and in recent months I've noticed that I retain water in my thighs too. This lasts up until the end of my period and it's SO annoying, I'm basically bloated for 2 weeks of every month.

And I don't know what to do and I'm so frustrated because I lose all definition I have in my abs and legs during those 2 weeks. I've tried doing some of the things I've found during google searches about this (limiting salt intake, drinking tea, eating foods high in potassium) but it doesn't help.

I'm curious if any of you have had the same struggles as I do and if you have any strategies that help. Thankfully I'm not on hormonal birth control (which I've heard makes water retention really bad).

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry about you having those struggles. Since I have not noticed you say it, just curious, have you tried seeking medical advice?

Can feel the pain you may be going through. I went through the similar situation a year ago and now all fit. I chose to naturally get rid of water retention in the body. So below is what I did;
1. Kept myself completely hydrated and remained stress-free
2. Chose to eat salt-less food. I was paying greater attention towards items that do not carry any salt.
3. Finally, I made myself stay consistent towards physical activities and exercises.

But, if you are feeling that your symptoms are getting worse, rush towards your doctor.

Back