How to get that "polished" look?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Girls, i need some tips/advice/help on how to get the polished, flawless look. Whatever i try, it doesn work. I see lots of FOTD's every day & all you girls looks so glowy & flawless. What are your secrets?

I'll check out what you mentioned girlie.. Thanks! I use No7 Illuminating Creme alright sometimes but i usually only use it on my cheekbones. Might try mixing with my foundation tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Laura Girls, i need some tips/advice/help on how to get the polished, flawless look. Whatever i try, it doesn work. I see lots of FOTD's every day & all you girls looks so glowy & flawless. What are your secrets? Ditto! All you flawless gals, fess up
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Charmaine - I will have to try mixing a shimmer cream in my foundation sometime, I noticed quite a few people do that on here...

Originally Posted by Laura What are your secrets? Great skin, drinking lots of water, and Stila Illuminating Liquid foundation topped off with their Sheer Colour pressed powder. I always put my foundation on with my fingers and now I use Stila #11 face concealer brush to even out around my nose, mouth and undereye area.

You just reminded me Lea that when i apply my foundation with a brush, my make up looks way more flawless. Although i rarely have time in the mornings to apply it with a brush
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Laura You just reminded me Lea that when i apply my foundation with a brush, my make up looks way more flawless. Although i rarely have time in the mornings to apply it with a brush
frown.gif
That is so true! I bought a foundation brush and convinced myself I'd use it everyday...and I went back to fingers
icon_redface.gif
. There's nothing wrong with that, but I too think that my base looks smoother with the brush. I'll have to dig it back out and do that today...first day back at school, so I might as well try to look pretty
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Fingers is much easier. I get a much better finish when I use my fingers, I just use the brush to smooth out places where I can't blend that easily with my fingers.

Originally Posted by Lealabell Fingers is much easier. I get a much better finish when I use my fingers, I just use the brush to smooth out places where I can't blend that easily with my fingers. Yeah, I still use my fingers after I have applied it with the brush to sort of smooth it out more, but maybe because the brush doesn't put so much on initially, it blends better and doesn't get cakey? Maybe this is just me, though.

lolz lealabell i do exact opposite! i use foundation brush now and then i use my fingers to smooth out place that the brush couldnt blend! but i think its about how comfortable every person feels when they use a specific product or technique, after ive applied foundation (versace oil free hydrating) i usually apply a little of the ultima II glowtion on the cheeks then powder blusher on top.

;-)

it took me a while but this is what works for me. and trust me, I have dull skin, and I get pale in spring/fall/winter and have dark circles and all. but since some people have said I look glowy in some of my FOTDs I guess I must be doing something right
biggrin.gif

my HG tricks..I always do this routine before a "big day" when I want to look my best.

1.) Microdermabrasion/facial scrub

2.) Self tanner/Johnson´s Holiday Skin (like the Holiday skin a lot better though)

3.) MAC Hyper Real applied with MAC #170 brush

4.) MAC Mineralized Skinfinish/Bronzer/any shimmer powder applied with the same brush

oh, my god, i want strobe cream so badly, but i didn't know it was so expensive! (27.50 i think)
frown.gif

people always say it starts with great skin. i have yet to have great skin though
icon_cry.gif

Hi Laura,

One of the newbie's here. This is my routine and I had comments on the one FOTD that I posted that I had a glow. Hope you find the glow you are looking for. I also heard that if you apply pepto bismol and let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse you can get a glow, because it contains salicylic acid like cleansers and moisturizers, so you may want to try that.

Mary Kay 3 in 1 cleanser

finacea acne treatment(prescribed)

Neutrogena moisturized

Dream eye cream

Mac select tint

Mac golden loose powder on cheeks or Mac honour blush

http://makeuptalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4787&stc=1&thumb=1

Originally Posted by Jennifer oh, my god, i want strobe cream so badly, but i didn't know it was so expensive! (27.50 i think)
frown.gif
Its expensive but so worth it. I really like it and one bottle lasted for 6 months. You should try to get a sample and see how you like it.

Thanks for all the tips girls. I mixed Revlon Skinlights with my regular foundation today and i do see some sort of difference

So how is it you girls all end up with such flawless pictures while using something with shimmer? I was told on this forum to avoid things with shimmer or light reflectors in them for flawless portraits because they make you look shiny or washed out. I'm confused now.

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso So how is it you girls all end up with such flawless pictures while using something with shimmer? I was told on this forum to avoid things with shimmer or light reflectors in them for flawless portraits because they make you look shiny or washed out. I'm confused now. I guess when somebody has really bad skin it´s not the best idea to use shimmer products allover. I notice that some products (like my beloved MAC Hyper Real foundation, which is shimmery) tend to accentuate larger pores. but I also believe that it draws away attention from skin imperfections. so I just use less product on my cheeks (where I got larger pores) or just deal with the pores in order to have glowy skin. I hate having dull skin because when I`m pale (in winter) AND my skinn looks dull I feel like I look dead *lol* so I´m all about shimmer
wink.gif

and yes, shimmery products can also make you look shiny...if you have oily skin. so I always apply extra blotting powder on my T-Zone after Hyper Real.

Originally Posted by Trisha First of all Arielle, do you know theres a version of Holiday Skin for the face now? Just thought i'd mention it in case you didnt hm...wonder if it´s already out in austria. I haven´t seen it in stores yet. anyway, I never really use a seperate self tanner for my face, I just use the same I use on my body.but I think it´s great they came out with a seperate one for your face. Holiday Skin is such an awesome product...and it´s one of my HGs!!

Originally Posted by Charmaine I think if you want a glowy look, you could try MAC Strobe Cream. Though I haven't used the product myself, Marisol has mentioned that it really makes your skin glow. Same with MAC Hyper Real. It's pretty, but if you use too much it looks really crazy. Benefit High Beam also gives you a glowy look, you can mix a little bit in with your foundation (aren't I good?
wink.gif
) I think that glow is the secret to looking like you have great skin. I'm not really into the dewy look because I've just gotten used to my Studio Fix, which is totally matte. Does MAC Hyper Real come in a pearly white? I think I used to have some of this stuff and LOVED it - but I never used it on my face because I thought it would make me look sweaty under stage lights. I did use it elsewhere on my body, like shoulders and belly for a "glowy look." After what I've heard about MAC not being compatible with acne-prone skin, I'm glad I never used it on my face. The bottle eventually leaked out and I never bought another one because I wasn't going on stage anymore.
Can maybe someone who has it post some pictures with and without it on their face, so I can see the difference in photos? Maybe I want to buy it again. There was something very alluring about smearing that irredescent white stuff on my skin, like it was made of pulverized pearls. ;-)

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso Does MAC Hyper Real come in a pearly white? I think I used to have some of this stuff and LOVED it - but I never used it on my face because I thought it would make me look sweaty under stage lights. I did use it elsewhere on my body, like shoulders and belly for a "glowy look." After what I've heard about MAC not being compatible with acne-prone skin, I'm glad I never used it on my face. The bottle eventually leaked out and I never bought another one because I wasn't going on stage anymore.
Can maybe someone who has it post some pictures with and without it on their face, so I can see the difference in photos? Maybe I want to buy it again. There was something very alluring about smearing that irredescent white stuff on my skin, like it was made of pulverized pearls. ;-)

well MAC Strobe Cream is irredescent, clear to white liquidy stuff. you apply it before your foundation I think...is that what you´re talking about?MAC Hyper Real is a shimmery foundation in a glass bottle.

although i don´t own Strobe Cream a MA used it on me before foundation (she gave me a makeover) and I liked it. I still think Hyper Real gives a more noticeable effect and makes you look healthy and glowy.

I could post pics where I´m wearing Hyper Real and some where I´m wearing a matte foundation, for comparison....if this would be any help for you.
confused.gif

Latest posts

Back