How to get this volumous, sexy hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

The thing about this hair that i want is...

Well whenever i do my hair, it gets really flat.

Even if i change the parting, it still wants to go the other way, but it is still flat.

How do you make the root part so volumous?

I tried the hair dryer and huge roll brush thing but it doesnt really seem to work... or im doing it wrong.

Also, how do you do those waves?

They are really thick and huge. What inch curler should  i have to use for that??

I had the same problem!  I ended up sitting in my stylist's chair and when I pulled out my ponytail, she immediately said, "Ah.  I see what you're getting at...."  Lol!

Here's a quick list of products that you'll definitely need:

-Shampoo and conditioner

-Roost boosting foam/mousse

-curl boosting mousse or creme (must be light in texture, heavier creams weigh down hair)

-Heat protector spray

-volumizing styling powder

-hair spray

It starts with good shampoo/conditioner pairing.  If your hair is healthy and pretty normal, you can use a volumizing formula.  My hair is curly but frizzy and needs extra moisture, so I use smooth and sleek formulas.  Towel dry your hair, then lift your hair up in sections, making sure you at least do this near your natural part.  When your hair is sectioned and lifted, apply the root boosting foam/mousse to the roots and massage it in.  Most foams can be sprayed directly onto the roots from the can.  

After applying the foam to your roots, work in the curl booster to the rest of your hair, mid-length and down.  Avoid the roots when doing this.  Less is more, so unless your hair is very long like in the picture, one egg-sized dollop should work for mousse and about half that for creme.

My stylist told me it doesn't matter what kind of brush I use when blow-drying, as round brushes don't do much more than what a paddle brush does.  In any case, brush your hair back and up, blow-drying directly at the roots to freeze the product in place.  If you brush back and up over your natural part, your hair will be more flexible in movement and have more body as well.  Once the roots are dried, finish drying the rest of your hair COMPLETELY, always brushing back and up.

By now you should notice a difference in your hair's body.  The roots are upright and your hair is fuller; if not, give it another quick run through with your dryer.  Spray the heat protector as liberally as you want, just make sure your hair is covered.  

1 inch is all you need for large curls, but you can go up to 2 inches depending on your hair length.  The back of your head should be curled away from your face, and don't worry about the size of the sections.  They can be big sections, as long as you hold them on the curler until they're hot and DON'T TOUCH THEM after sliding the iron out!  (My stylist stressed this to me multiple times! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)  Brush the top of your hair back and up, then curl towards your face.  The sections surrounding your face should be curled towards you as well.  NO TOUCHIE.  Let your hair completely cool before feeling up your bouncy curls, as the oils in your fingers drag down the delicate strands.

Finally, lift your hair up by the roots and dust with the volumizing powder, working it in with your fingertips.  Flip your hair upside down, spray with hairspray, finger comb, and flip back up.

Ta-daaa!!!

(Note: Got2Be is the BEST volumizing powder that I keep in my purse with me at all times!  I use the John Frieda root foam, and everything else is Tresemme.  Amazing salon quality for much, much less! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by CosLady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the same problem!  I ended up sitting in my stylist's chair and when I pulled out my ponytail, she immediately said, "Ah.  I see what you're getting at...."  Lol!

Here's a quick list of products that you'll definitely need:

-Shampoo and conditioner

-Roost boosting foam/mousse

-curl boosting mousse or creme (must be light in texture, heavier creams weigh down hair)

-Heat protector spray

-volumizing styling powder

-hair spray

It starts with good shampoo/conditioner pairing.  If your hair is healthy and pretty normal, you can use a volumizing formula.  My hair is curly but frizzy and needs extra moisture, so I use smooth and sleek formulas.  Towel dry your hair, then lift your hair up in sections, making sure you at least do this near your natural part.  When your hair is sectioned and lifted, apply the root boosting foam/mousse to the roots and massage it in.  Most foams can be sprayed directly onto the roots from the can.  

After applying the foam to your roots, work in the curl booster to the rest of your hair, mid-length and down.  Avoid the roots when doing this.  Less is more, so unless your hair is very long like in the picture, one egg-sized dollop should work for mousse and about half that for creme.

My stylist told me it doesn't matter what kind of brush I use when blow-drying, as round brushes don't do much more than what a paddle brush does.  In any case, brush your hair back and up, blow-drying directly at the roots to freeze the product in place.  If you brush back and up over your natural part, your hair will be more flexible in movement and have more body as well.  Once the roots are dried, finish drying the rest of your hair COMPLETELY, always brushing back and up.

By now you should notice a difference in your hair's body.  The roots are upright and your hair is fuller; if not, give it another quick run through with your dryer.  Spray the heat protector as liberally as you want, just make sure your hair is covered.  

1 inch is all you need for large curls, but you can go up to 2 inches depending on your hair length.  The back of your head should be curled away from your face, and don't worry about the size of the sections.  They can be big sections, as long as you hold them on the curler until they're hot and DON'T TOUCH THEM after sliding the iron out!  (My stylist stressed this to me multiple times! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)  Brush the top of your hair back and up, then curl towards your face.  The sections surrounding your face should be curled towards you as well.  NO TOUCHIE.  Let your hair completely cool before feeling up your bouncy curls, as the oils in your fingers drag down the delicate strands.

Finally, lift your hair up by the roots and dust with the volumizing powder, working it in with your fingertips.  Flip your hair upside down, spray with hairspray, finger comb, and flip back up.

Ta-daaa!!!

(Note: Got2Be is the BEST volumizing powder that I keep in my purse with me at all times!  I use the John Frieda root foam, and everything else is Tresemme.  Amazing salon quality for much, much less! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Completely agree! This is how I do my hair 2-3 times a week.

My favorite mousses are both by Redken.  Volume 7 all over mousse, and GUTS 10 root mousse.  Love them both!

Believe it or not, many women have this very same problem. We see commericals on TV with women with thick, voluminous hair bouncing around--and we're like, "How do I get my hair to look like that?" The same goes for celebrities with their amazing hairstyles. We chalk it up to, "Well they just have amazing stylists that do that for them for more than my rent costs."

The truth: 90% of them wear hair extensions.

There are many myths out there regarding hair extensions, which prevents women from even considering hair extensions. "Extensions will damage my hair, they are too expensive, or the all too common (and untrue), extensions are only for adding length and will make my hair look ratty."

The truth: Some extensions will damage your hair, true. But hair extension technology is on the cutting edge in the beauty industry.  Keratin protein bonds, for instance, mimic your natural hair's chemistry, and actually expand and contract with your natural hair. This means, it really is an extension of your natural hair, and non-damaging whatsoever.

Hair extensions can be expensive, that is true.  But there are several brands that have low prices AND most importantly, maintain the highest quality in hair extension technology. One in particular that I have found is Tony Odisho Extensions. They are a fraction of the cost of the top brands, have the keratin protein bond, and are Remy System.

Hair extensions can be used for added length, true. But there are so many other uses for them. In your case, you would add them for an extra oomph of volume. Instead of extensions, you could call them "expansions."  With extra volume, you could do so many gorgeous hair styles like beachy waves, gorgeous braids, and bombshell curls. Also, many women use them for chemical-free highlights.  Bleach and dyes can be very damaging to natural hair, so adding a pop of color with extensions can be beneficial to keep your natural hair healthy.

Hair extensions can look ratty, true. But if you find the right type of extensions for your hair, no one will even know you have them in. Many girls give extensions a bad name when they try putting extensions in on their own, and/or don't research quality extensions. Making sure the hair is Remy System is very important, otherwise the hair will turn into one big rat's nest. But beware: A lot of companies put their brand name as Remi to pass off as Remy, and trick women that way. Don't fall for it.

I hope all this helps, and good luck with creating Pinterest worthy hairstyles!  If you have any more questions about hair extensions, let me know. I love talking about hair!

Latest posts

Back