How to get wavy hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was just hoping someone could help me!!! I really want wavy hair!!!! I have really straight hair about shoulder length. If that helps. I was thinking of trying a curling iron, but since my hair is really straight, i don't know if that will work. What do you all think? I love kate beckinsale's hair and highlights. I just don't know how to get my hair like that. HELP!!!!

lol having a natural tousled hair, i'd like mine to be a bit more straight, it's impossible to style.

anyway i was thinking of a product from John Frieda called Ocean Wave (to give you sexy hair like you've spent the day at the beach). i have never tried it, but maybe this could work.

or i guess you could also try a curling iron.

Well heres how the black girls do it lol, im really not sure if it will help you tho. Wash it, condition it, and then braid it, not in teeny weeny braids, but it about medium sized braids all of your hair, you might want to apply some kind of holding product to it before you braid it, i dont know. But after its dried COMPLETELY, un-do the braids and finger come it, You will have waves. Tight or loose depending in the braid size. Or you can take the hair and wrap it around a HOT curling iron, make sure you used a heat protectant that also helps your hair hold the style. Dont use the clamp to hold your hair down, just take your hair and wrap it around piece by piece. Last thing, Go buy Garniers strong curl mousse. Apply it all over you hair while its still wet. And blow dry it while scrunching it in your hands or wrapping your hair around your fingers, it will become VERY texturized.

Those are the only three i know that work, Hope it helps!

Thanks, I'll try that ocean wave. I've tried before, my hair is realy thick and doesn't work in braids. But I'll try the curling iron idea. Thanks guys!!!

Here's another trick!

1. Get your hair a little bit damp. This works best on hair that has been freshly conditioned.

2. Divide your hair into four sections, and do twisty buns. Affix with hair bands or other fastener.

3. Go to sleep.

4. Wake up and take the twisty buns out, shake it out, comb it, tousel and style.

You are ready to go!
smile.gif

wanna trade, i have wavey hair and its a pain to deal with.

i'd give anything to have straight hair.

Originally Posted by makeupjunkie00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks, I'll try that ocean wave. I've tried before, my hair is realy thick and doesn't work in braids. But I'll try the curling iron idea. Thanks guys!!! I have severely thick hair too, but it works for me. I just braid it a few hours before bed, and then take it out right before I walk out the door in the AM. My hair doesn't hold ALL of the wave all day, but it does for the most part. Although, I'm very tempted to get one of those triple-barrel curling irons to see if it'll work.

Nox's suggestion works really well, it works even better if you use a texturising spray, especially one with sea salt in it.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have severely thick hair too, but it works for me. I just braid it a few hours before bed, and then take it out right before I walk out the door in the AM. My hair doesn't hold ALL of the wave all day, but it does for the most part. Although, I'm very tempted to get one of those triple-barrel curling irons to see if it'll work. In my experience, the triple barrel curling iron was such a waste of money!!! Maybe because I got a cheap one..haha..25 bucks at Walgreens. It does give my hair waves, but you have to hold the iron on your hair for like a minute for the wave to be noticeable. I have long hair, so my whole head took at least an hour. Also, the curls didn't look too natural on me...they look kinda frizzy and I couldn't get the curls to not look like little bumps on my head. LOL.

I usually just wrap sections of hair around a really hot curling iron and it's faster than the triple barrel one.

Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif In my experience, the triple barrel curling iron was such a waste of money!!! Maybe because I got a cheap one..haha..25 bucks at Walgreens. It does give my hair waves, but you have to hold the iron on your hair for like a minute for the wave to be noticeable. I have long hair, so my whole head took at least an hour. Also, the curls didn't look too natural on me...they look kinda frizzy and I couldn't get the curls to not look like little bumps on my head. LOL.
I usually just wrap sections of hair around a really hot curling iron and it's faster than the triple barrel one.

Yeah, that's the only downfall I keep reading: they take forever to use and make the hair look frizzy.
Okay, whenever I try wrapping sections, it doesn't work well. This is why I rarely do anything with my hair short of leaving it straight LOL!

I like Kates wavy hair too but not sure how to achieve it. I tried curling my hair but the curls just fall out everytime.

i either put a lot of gel or mouse in my hair after a shower and do 2 french braids, sleep in it, or if my hair is already dry, i just put 2 tight french braids.. hairspray.. then sleep in it. I have really thick hair and it comes out really wavy and lasts most of the day. i always get compliments.

I also have a triple barrel iron and it works great but is a lot more time consuming for the same results. Since my hair is so thick and long it takes a long time to do the whole head. I dont find that you have to leave it on for a minute though to get a wave in the section of hair. For me it works pretty quickly. To prevent it from frizzing, hair spray it after and also use some texturizing wax to smooth out the waves and split them up a little.

I do it two ways....

While it's wet I work in Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream. I then scrunch it up and blowdry. It gets really piecey and wavy.

Put in hot rollers like "Hot sticks" before you leave take them out and finger comb your hair. Spray in a light hairspray. By mid morning your hair should fall into perfect waves.

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nox's suggestion works really well, it works even better if you use a texturising spray, especially one with sea salt in it. ooh do you reccomend any?
and

http://lifestyle.msn.com/beautyandfa...8852&GT1=10445

try that site
smile.gif
.. or go to pursebuzz.com and hair tutorials. it has some nice ways to use the curler.

my hair is also superthick but a hot tools curler does the trick(its cheap and amazing!
smile.gif

Hey guys!

I put my hair in tiny buns all over my head and slept like that. In the morning, i took them out and my hair was sooo wavy!!! I really liked it, but it didn't feel like my own hair. It felt really kinky, you know? I just wish my hair was a little longer because it would look better, I think. So, it worked!!! Thanks for everyone's ideas***

Originally Posted by makeupjunkie00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey guys!I put my hair in tiny buns all over my head and slept like that. In the morning, i took them out and my hair was sooo wavy!!! I really liked it, but it didn't feel like my own hair. It felt really kinky, you know? I just wish my hair was a little longer because it would look better, I think. So, it worked!!! Thanks for everyone's ideas***

Cool! I'm glad you have an effective and cheap method! Maybe to get more of a 'smooth' wave, you can make bigger buns??? That way, more of your hair sections will follow the same larger wave pattern, and there will be less "kink" to it.

I've got a question about wavy hair... My hair is short barely covers my neck and is layered. I have natural body in my hair anyways, so how could I get it wavy? I would love to have straight hair and I normally wear it straight, but I just got a trim and want to grow it out. I don't want to use heat on it so I figure if I scrunch it or something maybe I can just wear it wavy for a while. any ideas on how to get it wavy with it being so short? Also what products would be best for scrunching it?

Originally Posted by girly_girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've got a question about wavy hair... My hair is short barely covers my neck and is layered. I have natural body in my hair anyways, so how could I get it wavy? I would love to have straight hair and I normally wear it straight, but I just got a trim and want to grow it out. I don't want to use heat on it so I figure if I scrunch it or something maybe I can just wear it wavy for a while. any ideas on how to get it wavy with it being so short? Also what products would be best for scrunching it? It sounds like with the kind of cut you have, it would look really sexy with a body wave instead of peice-y wave strands. I still think you may be able to acheive this with the night bunning technique that was discussed earlier. Maybe do four sections, this could give your hair a nice curve instead of small crimps.

Latest posts

Back