How To Have A Flat Tummy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the advice here for a flat tummy is very good, but the VERY, VERY best way to get one is "CORE, CORE, CORE" exercise.....and that is done on a 'fitness ball'. You just can't beat that for a flat tummy. AND, you get GREAT buns as an added bonus. I use a fitness ball with the video that came with it and two other videos: "Pilates on the Ball" and "Yoga on The Ball" (amazon.com). I also use the Spri Exercise Bands......the colored bands. Personally, I've not been able to do crunches because it hurts my back and neck. BUT.......I now have a VERY flat and toned tummy and killer buns (at MY age!
icon_biggrin.gif
) from working out on the fitness ball. I even get lots of glances from much younger guys.
biggrin.gif
Of course, I also go to the gym three times a week and work on the machines for 20 minutes, in our "Curves" room (it's like Curves) for 30 minutes, and cardio in the pool with a group for 60 minutes. BUT.......the BALL is what got me the great abs and buns. GET YOU A FITNESS BALL!!! You'll be glad you did.

The best way to determine if you are losing weight is to judge by how your clothing fits... If your clothing is nice and loose after a while, or you notice that the waist on your pants is much looser than it used to be, then even though the scale isn't going down in weight, you have lost fat.

The girls were right who said that muscle does weigh more than fat, so when the scale doesn't change, but your clothes fit looser, that means you lost fat and regained the same weight of muscle...

Waist exercises that are great are traditional crunches, side crunches where you start in the basic position for traditional crunches, then instead of crunching straight up toward the ceiling, you reach each opposite elbow toward the opposite knee. Example: right elboe to left knee.

Also an exercise that I used a lot when I taught classes was a side crunch. Lay on your back with your legs bent. Arms at your sides. Bring your left arm up to support your neck, keep your right arm stretched along your body. With your right arm, reach toward your right ankle. As you crunch toward your ankle, tighten your abs and breathe out, as you come back up into the beginning position, breathe in.

Keep repeating this as many times as you can without a break in between each movement. Then switch sides and do the same thing with the left side...

A mom checking in here... I agree with Godfreygirl. I've gotten the best results with core work -- some pilates moves and stability ball work. I use videos, mostly Core Foundations from Tracy Long and stability ball workouts from Cathe Friedrich. There's also Core Secrets, which is similar to Core Foundations. Stability ball work with a focus on functional fitness, which improves the way we move everyday in addition to making the core stronger.

Also, check of the Self and Shape magazine websites. They have a lot of different exercises listed you can follow at home, including many that work on core stabilty and strength.

To get the best results, add cardio and clean eating ( i.e., eating foods as close to their natural state as possible) to a core exercise routine. It will work wonders! hth!

I'm surprised no one mentioned belly dancing! it's fun and it works the entire body rather than just the tummy. You can buy a belly dance workout dvd and do it at home. The ones by rania are pretty good and come in different levels.

YES, YES, YES!!! I agree with ALL of these suggestions from Uberfemme. You'll be in the BEST shape EVER with these!!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by Uberfemme A mom checking in here... I agree with Godfreygirl. I've gotten the best results with core work -- some pilates moves and stability ball work. I use videos, mostly Core Foundations from Tracy Long and stability ball workouts from Cathe Friedrich. There's also Core Secrets, which is similar to Core Foundations. Stability ball work with a focus on functional fitness, which improves the way we move everyday in addition to making the core stronger.
Also, check of the Self and Shape magazine websites. They have a lot of different exercises listed you can follow at home, including many that work on core stabilty and strength.

To get the best results, add cardio and clean eating ( i.e., eating foods as close to their natural state as possible) to a core exercise routine. It will work wonders! hth!

I have heard this and I really beleive this as well:

Looking good (body wise of course) is 80% what you put in your mouth, and 20% excersise.

I've noticed with myself that if I eat alot of carbs I get really "puffy" in my midsection. Cutting back on carbs (especially late at night) makes a big difference in how I look. I also do alot of cardio and some weights. No matter how you look at it.. food and excersise really do go hand in hand.

You're right about this 'angel'. Also, I learned from the Oprah show that, if you are trying to lose weight, NEVER, NEVER eat after 6 p.m. OR about two hours before you go to bed. Do NOT give in to those late night cravings. I now NEVER eat anything at night. My diet consists of LOTS of veggies, fruits, whole grains and plain yogurt on strawberries. Dr. Perricone, author of the book "The Perricone Promise", said plain yogurt on strawberries has some kind of chemical combination that WILL help you lose weight. I eat this every morning. (saw him on Oprah too......didn't get the book)

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel I have heard this and I really beleive this as well:
Looking good (body wise of course) is 80% what you put in your mouth, and 20% excersise.

I've noticed with myself that if I eat alot of carbs I get really "puffy" in my midsection. Cutting back on carbs (especially late at night) makes a big difference in how I look. I also do alot of cardio and some weights. No matter how you look at it.. food and excersise really do go hand in hand.

Originally Posted by godfreygirl You're right about this 'angel'. Also, I learned from the Oprah show that, if you are trying to lose weight, NEVER, NEVER eat after 6 p.m. OR about two hours before you go to bed. Do NOT give in to those late night cravings. I now NEVER eat anything at night. My diet consists of LOTS of veggies, fruits, whole grains and plain yogurt on strawberries. Dr. Perricone, author of the book "The Perricone Promise", said plain yogurt on strawberries has some kind of chemical combination that WILL help you lose weight. I eat this every morning. (saw him on Oprah too......didn't get the book) This is true! I follow this as well. I don't eat carbs after about 7PM. If I am hungry past that I'll eat protein or even some fats like cheese or nuts. I shed about 10 pounds doing this and all I really changed was not eating late at night.

Back