How To Identify Your Undertones?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know you're supposed to look at your veins and decide if they look blue or green, but I find they differ under different light and it's hard to tell. Any tips on figuring this out?

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would go out in natural light and see if your veins have more of a blue or green tint. Mine always look blue regardless of what type of light I'm standing in.

Are you talking about undertones in your skin complexion?

If so, there are two main undertones of the skin. These consist of ruddy (red) and olive ( tan/greenish).

Ways to find out which undertone you are :

First asess your skin tone..Are you fair skinned and burn before tanning? And often get flushed ( redness) in the face? Chances are you'll be more of a ruddy undertone!

Are you a darker complex ( or pale) but tan easily? Then your most likely a Olive undertone! 

Olive is more common then ruddy.

If your Olive you want to use more of a yellow based or (orange) and im not saying like that umpa loompa color  but it'll help with matching foundations better! And if your ruddy you want to use more of a blue based! Cause it helps to cancel out the red in your skin and give a pretty peachy fair look!

Hope i helped guys!!!

I have been doing makeup for 27 years skin tones are all brown, light beige's to dark browns. The only people that have ruddy undertones are; native Americans and some people of Scottish decent,ruddy undertones are very rare, however many people mistake rosy cheeks for ruddy skin tones.

Most people are beige,beige yellow or yellow beige. When you wear foundations do they turn yellow to orange on you? then you are more beige. Women with darker color skin will have yellow as the dominate color where paler skin would be beige to beige yellow.

Test the product on your jaw to neck, for pale skin and on the apple of the cheek if the skin is darker. Squint, look in the mirror and use the color you don't see, however you should do this in day light, because when light is around 5600 k you will see a more accurate color. 

Latest posts

Back