How to look good weaing white

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
How to look good wearing white (Allure mag July 2005)

-Create Contrast

All colors work with white. Black and white are classic, and jewel tones look particularly vibrant set against this shade.

Pair white jeans with a jade top, a tailored shirt with a chunky coral or turquoise necklace, or Capris with brightly colored flats.

-Go All the Way

Head-to-toe white creates the illusion of length - as long as you keep the entire silhouette narrow (think cigarette pants and a slim cut t-shirt).

Make sure the shades match though.

A cream tops seems dingy next to pure white pants.

And to keep your outfit from looking overly coordinated or like a nurse's uniform, combine textures. Top a cotton eyelet skirt with a twill blazer, for example.

-Time it Right

Once reserved for summer afternoons on the tennis court, this color is now appropriate year-round and at night.

The little white dress, in anything from linen to satin, is an evening classic - just ramp it up with a silver clutch or jeweled gold sandals.

-Wear it Well

White pieces need frequent washing, so plan on buying cotton ones that you can throw in the machine - or make friends with your dry cleaner.

White t-shirts and tank tops, in particular, can start to look worn-out after a couple steamy summers; retire them without guilt.

-Be Discreet

A white bra and panties might seem like the right choice, but they shine straight through. Instead, match your underwear to your skintone as closely as possible; we swear by Cosabella's nude G-strings.

The pocket linings of white pants should be made of nude fabric as well; if not, ask your tailor to remove them.

And while we love wearing all white, we draw the line when your legs match. Apply a self-tanner to give your skin a healthy glow.
smile.gif

hehe.
smile.gif

i gotta push the issue of the skin tone undies!! and preferably thongs or g-strings. i don't know how many times i've seen underwear or granny panties when people wear white pants
icon_eek.gif
icon_lol.gif

Also, believe it or not - black is good under most whites... you'd think it'd show right through - but if the material isn't SO sheer... black works wonders !
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Also, believe it or not - black is good under most whites... you'd think it'd show right through - but if the material isn't SO sheer... black works wonders !
wink.gif
so true! I wear black under most of my white shirts/pants. I had a girl ask me once how come I didn't wear any underwear under my white linen skirt. It was black and not visible at ALL, so she tought I wasn't wearing any. I had to flash her my undies right then and there!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Also, believe it or not - black is good under most whites... you'd think it'd show right through - but if the material isn't SO sheer... black works wonders !
wink.gif
This apparently only works if you have darker skin ... it sure doesn't work with my pale skin!
wink.gif

And what's really weird is that even though I am very pale, white actually doesn't look too bad on me! I've had people compliment me that I looked good in white, and I even look better in white than I do in ivory or cream colors (which is weird because most people say they look better in ivory.) Maybe that means I have a cool skintone and the white matches it?
confused.gif

Latest posts

Back