How to look old?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niz

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a 20 yr old girl, but everyone says I am only around 15-16. CAn anyone tell me what can I do with my makeup or hair to look old, that is of my age?

Thanks for welcoming me Charmaine. I am from India. Can you help me out with my problem?
icon_cry.gif

Hi Niz, welcome to MUT
smile.gif

I'm Leony 26, people often thought that I'm 19-20 years old, when am not wearing any makeup.

That is why I started using makeup after I got married, to look more mature lol.

Agree with charmaine, you could change the way you dress a little bit to look more mature.

Edit:

You could also, wear your hair long, at least over shoulder length, short hair tend to look younger than longer hair.

hi niz and welcome to mut. i'm monnie from michigan.

Originally Posted by Niz Hello everyone. I am a 20 yr old girl, but everyone says I am only around 15-16. CAn anyone tell me what can I do with my makeup or hair to look old, that is of my age?

it may be a pin right now. but it'll pay off later on.

girls who look 25 when they're 18 will look 40 when they're 30. while we younger looking gals will look 30 when we are 40!
wink.gif

I have the same problem... I'm 22 and yet I got carded for R-rated movie the other day!
icon_mad.gif
I nearly yelled at the ticket person LOL! But usually I try to dress mature like the other girls suggested. And I also think that it'll benefit me in the future when I will want to look young!
icon_wink.gif

Appreciate your youthful looks now!!!! If you really must look older wear lipstick and foundation, that seems to age people a bit.

Hi! I have the same problem, I'm 24 and about to finish grad school, and people are always asking me questions like "What year are you, a sophomore? What's your major?" lol

I think clothes make more of a difference than makeup, though makeup can help a little. Whenever I wear my "sexy" clothes on a date waiters usually assume I'm over 21, but when I wear t-shirts and shorts or something they usually assume I'm under 21. If you don't want to (or if it's not appropriate to) dress sexy, try more professional "grown up" clothes like button-up shirts, nice sweaters, blazers, sleek boots or strappy shoes instead of chunky boots or flip-flops, capris instead of shorts, knee-length skirts instead of minis, etc. Shopping in the Misses department rather than Juniors will certainly help!
wink.gif
(Which is the main source of my frustration ... I WANT to dress older, but I'm so darn skinny, Misses clothes often don't run small enough and I often resort to shopping in Juniors just to get something to fit. It can't be good when I'm standing next to a 13-year-old looking at the same rack of clothes...)

Hair can also make a difference; however I will disagree with Leony and say that shorter hair usually makes you look older than long hair. Long hair tends to be a pretty young look -- consider how many high school students and college sorority girls have long hair (often straight and dyed blonde too, lol). Getting a shorter, more sophisticated cut can make you look older. I currently have a layered shoulder-length cut that I wear with the ends flipped out a little and I think that helps me look older than my previous long straight hair -- I don't see as many teenagers with short trendy cuts, but I see a lot of girls in their 20's and 30's with such hairstyles! (Plus, all the hairstylists on the makeover TV shows I watch agree that a shorter cut is often more sophisticated!)

As for makeup, just try to avoid younger looking makeup like sparkly lip glosses, etc. For eye makeup, good blending often looks more sophisticated than outlining your eye with eyeliner and wearing little or no eyeshadow like I see so many teenagers doing (or at least I think so!). Perhaps try more mature colors like browns, smokey greys, plums, greens, etc -- sometimes pastels or really bright colors can look a little young in my opinion, but that also varies from person to person.

Hope that helps! Though I will certainly keep my eye on this thread to see if other girls have suggestions!
wink.gif

Sorry, I just noticed you were from India, so maybe some of my cultural references (like how I said so many young college students wear lots of black eyeliner and have long, straight hair) may not apply in India!

(And the browser on this old computer won't let me edit my original post so I can't change it!)

Hi, Niz! and, welcome to Mut!! As for trying to look older, it's so funny that when you're young you want to look older, and when you get older you yearn to look young again. I don't have any great advice, but I certainly agree with girlgeek - long hair is more youthful. I made the mistake of chopping my hair after my 2nd child. I can only say for me personally, but it made me feel "older." It was a really cute cut, but I am so happy with my hair past my shoulders now. I "feel" younger! Most people think I'm younger than my 37 years, especially with longer hair.

smile.gif

This is one problem I am very happy to be having. I still get carded when I go out and I don't mind at all, but yes the ladies are offering some great advice.

I had a young friend ask me what she could do to look older (she is 16). She said yeah I want to look more your age around 25, I thought I would die I will be 34 next week!!

Enjoy it, the only thing looking older can do for you right now is to get you in trouble
icon_lol.gif
. One bit of advice I will give, if you want to come off older develope friendships with ones older then you. The association, if good, will help to refine.

Originally Posted by quelinda Enjoy it, the only thing looking older can do for you right now is to get you in trouble
icon_lol.gif
. Not if you're trying to find a job! I have a bad feeling that I'm going to mistaken for the college intern when I start my career here in a few months -- I want to be taken seriously when I start working! lol

circlestar.gif
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 height=27>How to Dress to Look Older

</B></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>Is your wardrobe full of cheap and trendy stuff? Are you always alternating between various looks and are not consistent with one? Do you have a nose ring, belly piercing and multiple holes in your ears? If you answered, "Yes, to any of the above, read on to develop a more adult version of your self.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>
step.gif
</TD><TD>Steps: </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>1. </TD><TD>Make a jump from junior departments and stores to more contemporary, grown-up clothes. On your next shopping trip, pass up Contempo and Wet Seal, for instance, and head for Club Monaco, where you can still get the trends in a more adult version. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>2. </TD><TD>Buy better quality. Junior brands provide the item of the minute without quality in mind. Brands that are not focused on the junior market are likely to be higher-quality, more expensive and a lot more elegant. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>3. </TD><TD>Avoid wearing the most extreme versions of a trend. Put away the extravagantly wide cargo pants and high platforms in favor of modified versions. If you want a piercing, keep it low key by only getting one, preferably in a place that can be hidden. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>4. </TD><TD>Consider wearing only one trendy item per outfit. Platform shoes are very popular and so are animal prints, but wearing cheetah-print platform boots is too extreme. Opt for solid boots with a thinner heel and a small item in an animal print, such as a top or scarf. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>5. </TD><TD>Be consistent, but leave room in your wardrobe for a few surprises and seasonal changes. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>
tip.gif
</TD><TD>Tips: </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>
bullet1.gif
</TD><TD colSpan=2>Try not to lose your sense of humor in your effort to look older. You can still wear the wacky bird necklace you found at the flea market or the plastic bead necklace a friend made you. Keep the touches that give you individuality. </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2>

Black by Sam

I find a lot of people my age (18 - 21) trying to look sophisticated by wearing all black clothing. While there is nothing wrong with black, there is a big problem with wearing a complete black outfit. Black is slimming, it can also make you look boring or morbid. Try using a bright lime green shirt and shoes with your black blazer and pants, or use another bright color to offset all the black. As a general rule, the belt and the shoes should always match. Try using different colors from a palette of colors. You could wear a light turquoise tank top or camisole under a low V-neck pull-over, paired with a pale blue or gray pant and blazer.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally Posted by Niz Hello everyone. I am a 20 yr old girl, but everyone says I am only around 15-16. CAn anyone tell me what can I do with my makeup or hair to look old, that is of my age?

Latest posts

Back