how to make color show up....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm asian, and my complexion is kinda tan. I can never get colors to show up on my eyes. No matter what color i use, they tend to not show up vibrantly. I definely don't like the whole frosty color look. I just recently bought some samples of pigments on ebay, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to layer it on to make the colors really "pop" out.

using bases like mac shadesticks and mac paints help colors show up. especially if they are already colored bases. like if you want to wear blue shadows, mac's shade stick in sea me helps the colors come out more. or for yellows, the corn shadestick works. chartu paint works for greens. even using beige colored bases like beige-ing shadestick or stilife paint helps the color stay because the shadows stick to them.

Originally Posted by Liz using bases like mac shadesticks and mac paints help colors show up. especially if they are already colored bases. like if you want to wear blue shadows, mac's shade stick in sea me helps the colors come out more. or for yellows, the corn shadestick works. chartu paint works for greens. even using beige colored bases like beige-ing shadestick or stilife paint helps the color stay because the shadows stick to them.
Agree with the shade sticks

icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by sweetface18 I'm asian, and my complexion is kinda tan. I can never get colors to show up on my eyes. No matter what color i use, they tend to not show up vibrantly. I definely don't like the whole frosty color look. I just recently bought some samples of pigments on ebay, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to layer it on to make the colors really "pop" out. Or if you don't have any shadesticks or mac paints you can always apply some concealer to your lids prior to e/s application, hth
smile.gif

i've tried the white e/l as an e/s base trick (read it from another board) and it really makes the e/s so much more vibrant. you draw a little square on the back of your hand with the white e/l.. use an e/s brush to pick up the color and just dab it onto your lids. it also gets the e/s to stay on longer=)

3641-TropicalFOTD.jpg

People always ask me how I make my colors so vibrant. Here's what I do.....

Benefit FYeye all over the lid, up to the brow bone

Benefit Lemon-Aid All over

I use the MAC "packing" brush to pat color on and then blend with a fluff brush.

I think the Lemon-Aid is what makes the colors really stand out! They adhere to it, and you can add more shadow to create intensity.

Hope this helped. Good Luck!
icon_lol.gif

If you don't want to buy more products just to make ones you have work...if you have a cream foundation, apply it all over the lid and set it with powder(make sure you put the powder on with a sponge or puff so you don't get any crease lines)this will act as a sort of primer. AND/OR With pigments, you can apply them with a synthetic bristle brush and do a wet application to make colors stand out more, or do a foiling method-put color on dry and then go over it with the same color applied wet. I always like to put another dry layer on top as well.

I like the MAC shadesticks and their Cream color bases.... seem to help.

I really wanna check out the benefit stuff you mentioned Benebaby! Your eyes look great!
smile.gif

And great tips Envy!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Liz using bases like mac shadesticks and mac paints help colors show up. especially if they are already colored bases. like if you want to wear blue shadows, mac's shade stick in sea me helps the colors come out more. or for yellows, the corn shadestick works. chartu paint works for greens. even using beige colored bases like beige-ing shadestick or stilife paint helps the color stay because the shadows stick to them. Yes, I too agree with shadesticks, paints and color cream bases help make ES colors stand out.

I have naturally dark eye lids and sometimes I have to layer on eyeshadow or else you can kinda tell. I used this awesome eyeshadow base from clinique. It lasted for hours without creasing and did a great job concealing my dark eyes and my eyeshadow was really bright and looked great. I definaltey would recommend an eyeshadow base.

I actually have this same problem. I can never make the e/s look just right. I want it to stand out and I never seem to get the right effect. I'm definitely going to try these tips.

Originally Posted by Charmaine Yes I agree with this, I have Canton Candy paint (which is pink) and it really makes this pink pop when I wear this under them. You could also get Mauvism (which I also want) for your purples. Ditto! MAC Paints do it for me
biggrin.gif

I used to have the same problem till I got Mac paint in Bare Canvas this stuff has worked miracles aswell as stopping my e/s from creasing it also makes the colours show a LOT better and more of the 'true' colour as how they look in the pot

I agree MAC paints are awesome. My go to colors are Tan Ray (more matte) and Bamboom (more sparkly). I've forgotten to take off my makeup before a workout and my eyemakeup stayed intact and did not budge even working up a full sweat, 10 hours after application. It's amazing.

normally i only use my foundation and powder on lids. for special occasions i love the paints from mac, like bare canvas!

Latest posts

Back