how to pare down, clean out and organize your stash.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bobbi browns tips for organizing and cleaning out your m/u stash (with my own added info.) 1. gather up all the makeup from your various places around the house. put it all in a pile so you can see what youve got. toss all the broken, leaking or generally messy items. 2. toss all the items you havent touched in 2 years. if you havent used it in that span, youre never going to. 3. assess your foundations. you need two at most. 4. transfer broken l/s into palletes, and other items into smaller jars if you need to. keep only the items that work for you. some good empty palettes are: japonesque 6 well palette organizer http://ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=567 bobbi brown 6 well face palette w/ lip brush http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/t...D=CATEGORY2559 try ulta if you dont want to shop online. store locator: http://ulta.com/control/storelocator ive made some from pill boxes with multiple compartments. they dont all look like the bulky days of the week pill keepers, but if thats what youd like, they make some that hold a months worth of pills. try the art supply store for water color palettes. you can find miscellaneous empty containers at target, ulta, or other such stores. they even have powder jars and sifters. 5. replace sponges and puffs, and clean cases. 6. organize by type. i have a plano tackle box meant for real tackle. it was very inexpensive, and is perfect for m/u. they come in several sizes, and different tray configurations. 7. clean out, restock and organize your travel bag. shelf life: foundation - 12-18 mo. concealer - 1 year mascara - 3-6 mo. (tip - write the purchase date on your tubes of mascara) l/s - 12-18 mo. pencils - 1 year e/s - 1 year powder blush - 2 years cream blush - 6 mo.-1 year moisturizer - 12-18 mo. eye cream - 1 year SPF - 1 year i agree with bobbis guidelines on all counts except for powders. if you keep them clean and use clean tools on them, they last pretty much forever.

I'm in the same boat. Guess I need to stop buying & just toss or give away most of it.

I organize my makeup by frequency of use. The counter-top containters hold my frequently used products and I have a separate container under the sink for shades out of season.

Below is a neat idea for storing lipsticks and gloss. I took an organizer box from Target and popped the lid off. I store my lipstick and glosses upside down so I can see the labels and colors easily. Note this is set on top of a 3-drawer Sterilite container which holds blush, eye shadow and other makeup products. Very convenient!

Makeup_Tray.jpg

Originally Posted by keaLoha I'm in the same boat. Guess I need to stop buying & just toss or give away most of it. kealoha! glad to see you over here.
smile.gif

Welcome keaLoha!
smile.gif
Let us know if we can be of service to you!

Originally Posted by keaLoha I'm in the same boat. Guess I need to stop buying & just toss or give away most of it.

Latest posts

Back