How to sell gently used makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never sold before and am not sure how it works. Most of my stuff is gently used and needs a new home. Most of it is a couple years old but has only been used a few times. Should I sell or toss? How do I sell it on here? Can I sell used makeup on this forum?

If it's mascara, lip gloss, liquid or creme eyeliner or anything with a liquid (except perfume) then toss it or use it. If it's a limited edition loose pigment, shadow or palette you might be able to trade it in our Buy, Sell, Trade section. If it's drug store keep it or toss it since most people won't pay for stuff that's old and used... they may for old and un-used. If you decide to try and sell take plenty of pictures to add to the post and make it clear how old the items are so buyers are aware. I really think if you do want to get rid of it most likely a trade would be a better option but you may not get the value of the item when it was new in a trade either. Try our B/S/T section and see how it works out for you.

I agree with Zadidoll. List in the buy sell trade section, you can say what your asking price is, but will have more luck if you are willing to consider trades and list some items you are in the market for. I also agree that liquid and cream makeup won't get many takers since it's more likely to be a breeding ground for germs. The only exception might be something with a pump, like body lotions. Powders last years so you'll have a better chance of selling/trading eyeshadow, blush, face powder, mineral makeup and the like. Another option is ebay. There are nuts like me out there who don't mind buying gently used makeup and are willing to sanitize it ourselves. You probably won't get your asking price though unless the items you have were highly coveted in the first place.

What about limited edition mac and urban decay the mineral eyeshadow duos, holiday palette and aiw urban decay palette? Would it be worth it to try and sell?

Yup, those would sell. MAC sells like crazy on ebay, including lots of fakes! So make sure you have lots of photos of the items back to front, including the boxes if you still have them. (The same if you list here.) I've never heard of UD counterfeits, I suppose they might be out there anyway, it's always best to have many photos. I've always wondered what people are thinking when they put up one out of focus picture and expect the offers to come in!

I was wondering if you had anyone be opposed or think it was gross that you were selling your used makeup. My mom doesn't want me to do it even though I need the money even if it's not that much and don't want to just throw all of it away.

No I just bought a bunch of used makeup on ebay. How could I pass up NARS duos? They are easy enough to clean up, I got rubbing alcohol. You just spray it or dip a cotton ball/pad in alcohol and either press it into or gently swipe the product with it. It won't hurt the product but will kill the bacteria/mold.

No, I don't think it's gross to sell gently-used eyeshadows :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

I agree that limited-edition palettes should sell really well! People who missed out on them the first time around and would gladly pay for them now.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup, those would sell. MAC sells like crazy on ebay, including lots of fakes! So make sure you have lots of photos of the items back to front, including the boxes if you still have them. (The same if you list here.) I've never heard of UD counterfeits, I suppose they might be out there anyway, it's always best to have many photos. I've always wondered what people are thinking when they put up one out of focus picture and expect the offers to come in!
Actually there ARE Urban Decay fakes. I posted on my Facebook wall a few weeks back a video from someone showing what a counterfeit NAKED2 palette looks like versus a real NAKED2 palette. It's more rare to hear about it but certain UD items are counterfeits like the LE palettes.

Originally Posted by girlie2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What about limited edition mac and urban decay the mineral eyeshadow duos, holiday palette and aiw urban decay palette? Would it be worth it to try and sell?

As Donna mentioned, pictures, pictures, pictures especially of the weight sizes and any box information since those are the areas that counterfeiters make mistakes on. If it's gently used or practically new I know people would LOVE to buy those items BUT you may not get full price to it depending on how used it is. I would say if it's new then list at full price, if it's been used a few times (less than 10 times) then list it at 10% to 15% less than the original price, if it's been used and you can see indentations then depending on how used list it for 25% to 50% less than the original price.

For example I have two NAKED2 palettes - one brand new, never used and one used. If I were to list both I would like the brand new one at full price while the used one at 15% less than full price because it wouldn't come with the gloss since I've used that and it can't be disinfected. If I didn't use the gloss and only the palette than I'd list it at 10% less the original price. If the palette was like majorily used and it had indent marks in the colors I use most (Sin) but it was only one or two shadows that had indent marks than I'd list it at 25% less the original price but if it was four or more indents than I'd list it at 50%. Make sense?

As the old saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually there ARE Urban Decay fakes. I posted on my Facebook wall a few weeks back a video from someone showing what a counterfeit NAKED2 palette looks like versus a real NAKED2 palette. It's more rare to hear about it but certain UD items are counterfeits like the LE palettes.
Thank you! I wasn't sure about that, but it makes sense that they would counterfeit any hot items, and yes, Urban Decay's Naked palettes are hot items.

The way I priced my items, when I used to sell on ebay, is by doing a search as if I want to buy those items. It gives you a good idea what the going prices are for those items. Also make sure to check "completed listings" that will tell you what is definitely selling and what the highest price asked was (as well as the average going price, etc.). I bet the Alice in Wonderland palette is selling for more than the original price...new. Used, you may actually be able to get the original price or very close for it. But, as noted above, I do make mistakes and I'm only guessing. So do check current and past auctions. Then if you aren't comfortable with setting up ebay auctions you will still have a good idea of what price to ask here, although since you don't have the competition of ebay you might want to list a tad lower.

Originally Posted by girlie2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa! I just checked ebay and the Alice in Wonderland palette is selling for between $120 and 210 new. I'd list that one on ebay, start bidding at $50 (it was 52 new) and put a buy it now of $100 on it. Make sure to describe it well and take lots of photos. You don't want someone pissed off thinking they are getting new because you weren't clear that it was used and didn't show the usage. You'll easily get $50 for it and I bet someone wants it bad enough they would consider the $100 Buy it Now, and might jump on that knowing that the average selling price new is more like $140-150.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa! I just checked ebay and the Alice in Wonderland palette is selling for between $120 and 210 new. I'd list that one on ebay, start bidding at $50 (it was 52 new) and put a buy it now of $100 on it. Make sure to describe it well and take lots of photos. You don't want someone pissed off thinking they are getting new because you weren't clear that it was used and didn't show the usage. You'll easily get $50 for it and I bet someone wants it bad enough they would consider the $100 Buy it Now, and might jump on that knowing that the average selling price new is more like $140-150.
I'd start at 99 cents. You'll DEFINITELY get over $50 for it but if you start the price higher, ebay will collect more fees from you hence you actually more loose money. Don't forget you also have to pay a certain % of the final price to ebay, this stuff can add up quickly. BIN also is expensive for the seller.

How do you figure out how much shipping to charge? Where do I post the sale?

Sale has been posted.

I have recently decided to switch my lifestyle to more natural and organic. The sad thing for me is that I have spent quite a bit of money on makeup.  I have both Naked palletes, other UD palletes, Too Faced, BH Cosmetics, MAC, Loreal, Maybelline, Wet 'n Wild, just to name a few and I hate to just trash it.  If I were able to spray a bit of rubbing alcohol on the powder products, would that suffice in terms of killing the bacteria and therefore making the products more appealing to any interested buyers? I'm not interested in swapping as I've switched all my makeup to specific mineral brands only.  Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think you'd have to take some pics of the products you wish to sell.  Although you spray alcohol on the powdered products, I think when the buyer gets it, they'll be doing that themselves.  I don't think if you 'sanitized' them, it'll be more appealing to a buyer.  What's going to be appealing is the photos so that your buyer can see the condition of the product. I know that it is important to me to see that the powder in the pan is intact with no cracking or chips or discolourations. 

I'm trying to sell some gently used MAC products...does anyone have any suggestions? I always use eBay for new stuff bug I'm just trying to clear out my personal collection, thanks!

Latest posts

Back