How To: Teasing Your Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
TeasingHair.jpg

For step-by-step instructions,
  • Step 1: Using a soft bristled hair brush, give your head a thorough brushing until all tangles and knots are gone.
  • Step 2: Next, take a metal comb or teasing brush and divide hair into two-inch sections. Set the section you are about to tease aside, and clip the rest so it stays out of the way.
  • Step 3: In one hand, hold the section of hair you are going to work with by the ends. Make sure the hair is straight up in the air so that you can access the area underneath. Using your free hand, take the comb and back-comb your hair in short strokes in the opposite direction from which it grows.
  • Step 4: Pick up the next section of hair and repeat the process until all of the desired sections of hair have been teased. When you are done, gently smooth hair over with the comb and generously spray your hair with a firm hold hairspray to ensure longer lasting volume.
Source and Source

Teasing the hair makes me cringe a little... I can just imagine all the little hairs breaking. >.<

Oh man....I am a tease-a-holic. My technique is a little different. I think the metal combs or "rat tail" combs cause more breakage. I use a little bristle brush to rat the underside of my hair, then I smooth out the top layer. I generally prep my hair first with Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray and maybe a light hold hairspray too. Works well, beehive stays in place and my hair is still soft.

i always prep with an ol' skool mousse, (it worked in the 80's with my rocket high bangs), blow dry upside till mostly dry, set in extra large velcros (the 2" purple ones), blow dry till totally dry, and then each velcro section i tease, spraying while teasing with a good aerosol hairspray... except the front piece, i smooth that over my big hair mess with a small soft bristle brush.

yhst-54356107628685_1967_16120039

2662-F8516_l.jpg

300.jpg

615908403701.jpg

great post. I usually always tease my hair when I go out at night cause otherwise my hair will fall even more flat during the night. But I can never get it REAL big.

Thanks for the tips, brewgirl..I remember this is the technique hairstylists use when they wanna get the hair real big for an updo or so

oohhh thanks so much for this post!!! i cant wait to try it out...ive always wondered how to get that extra poof in the back..heehee.<3

i used to tease my hair into a "pomp" i think its called. I used to do it a lot but kind of stopped because of how bad it is for my hair. but the structure of my hair never changed so i dont think i damaged it to much

nevertheless, great tips!

Thanks i love teasing my hair it always looks way bigger when i tease it, someimes when i tease it too much i get "teased" by getting called Amy winehouse lol

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Teasing the hair makes me cringe a little... I can just imagine all the little hairs breaking. >.< Your hair doesnt break when you tease it. Unless you constantly bleach your hair...and dont take care of it then maybe you might have breakage. But you only tease the root and that is where your hair is the healthiest
smile.gif

I've tried doing this before but my hair always falls flat. I'll try the recommended products- maybe that will help keep it in place

a lot of women get the extreme volume with socks or even rollers...can you imagine walking around with little rollers in your hair for the extreme teased look

Originally Posted by polaroidscene /img/forum/go_quote.gif a lot of women get the extreme volume with socks or even rollers...can you imagine walking around with little rollers in your hair for the extreme teased look With socks? lmaothat would be even funnier to see them walking around with the socks in their hair hahaha that's insane
add_wegbrech.gif

Latest posts

Back