I have a problem with my makeup.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, everytime I put on my makeup, it goes like this:

I conceal my undereye circles (unsuccessfully, everytime)

and then put on (very expensive) foundation by Chanel with a pretty good brush. It looks awful, cakey, and yellow. I don't have a job and my mom is tired of taking me places to get makeup, so I'm stuck with it. I put on Covergirl powder, and it just makes it worse. My skin looks nowhere near clear, when, without makeup, it looks better. I have super rosy cheeks, and I want even-toned skin, all the same color, but for me, that's impossible. I really need some recomendations for foundation/power to use that will even out my skintone and not look cakey.

are you sure the foundation colour goes with your skin?

seems likes it darker!!

whats your skin colour and what color is the foundation!

it should be one shade lighter than your actual skintone!!

Here's what I suggest...

Why are you using Chanel?? Do you like the foundation? I used it in the past and thought it was better for more mature skin. Maybe you don't need as much coverage as you think?? Maybe a sheer tinted moisturizer, then apply your concealer and finish with powder. In my opinion a loose powder might be better. Feel Free to PM me if you's like Product recommendations!

Make sure you get foundation that matches your skin, and concealer that is one shade lighter than your skin tone. Maybe you don't need as much coverage, like Amanda said, but if you do, I know it sounds preachy, but MMU helps so many people, and makes me look alive, haha.

it's probably not my skintone at all, xD but it's so hard to find the right tone. every foundation i've used isn't exact. i've even tried mac, which has so many tones, and it came out yellow and looked like a mask. and i do better with powder, rather than liquid foundation because it feels heavier on me, and i don't need that much coverage, but i always thought that liquid foundation would stay on longer, so i used it anyways.

Originally Posted by sunbunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif So, everytime I put on my makeup, it goes like this:
I conceal my undereye circles (unsuccessfully, everytime)

and then put on (very expensive) foundation by Chanel with a pretty good brush. It looks awful, cakey, and yellow. I don't have a job and my mom is tired of taking me places to get makeup, so I'm stuck with it. I put on Covergirl powder, and it just makes it worse. My skin looks nowhere near clear, when, without makeup, it looks better. I have super rosy cheeks, and I want even-toned skin, all the same color, but for me, that's impossible. I really need some recomendations for foundation/power to use that will even out my skintone and not look cakey.

Hi Sunbunny, I noticed that you said you need to cover dark circles under your eye`s? have you tried YSL Radiant touch, i think its great it is quite expensive but worth every penny, it comes in 3 shades and lasts ages, i have used this for years, it wont cake under your eye`s, dot it on and dab it (dont rub), as for your foundation maybe you should try a fluid foundation as they tend not to cake. good luck Mary

Thank you, =)

and I'll try the YSL concealer.

I heard that some concealer from Clinique helps eye-circles,

but I'm not a big fan of Clinique, so that's my last resort.

I see you're using a foundation brush. Some people love this method but I find it gives very heavy coverage and is hard to get right. Try using a damp cosmetic sponge instead. This will dilute the product and give a sheerer finish.

My own preferred method is to apply a small amount with a sponge just in the centre of my face where I need full coverage -- redness around the nose and chin, darkness around the eyes -- then blend outwards thoroughly so I have a very sheer coverage on my cheeks, jawline and forehead. I use a compact foundation but this also works with a liquid.

In your case, you might want to put a little more coverage on the cheeks but then blend in so there's less on the nose. In any event, cover only where you need it and blend well! Cosmetic sponges are cheap from any drugstore and easy to wash with liquid soap or shampoo.

Also, why are you using powder? Do you have oily or combination skin that needs the mattifying effect that powder gives? Modern foundation usually doesn't need powder to set it, with the exception of camouflage products like Dermablend or Dermacolor. Try leaving it off, or if you do need it apply using a brush rather than a sponge for a light application.

Finally, if you have problem dark circles please make sure you take off your makeup at night very, very thoroughly. It may well be that the effect is made worse by mascara or liner being left behind and working into the pores as you sleep.

Good luck!

If you think you stuck with your Chanel fndt, just mix it with some moisturizer, it will look sheer and will even out your skin too.

Hi, i dont think Clinique is as good as Ysl touch au lait, i think you will be happy with Ysl, Mary

I too think the coverage you're using is probably too much. With liquid foundation, a little bit goes a long way. You might want to consider trying mineral foundation. It has worked wonders for a lot of the girls here.
smile.gif

Usually, the way to test a foundation is near your jawline. Also, once you find the right shade for you, a really great technique is to put some foundation near your wrist, run your fingers quickly through some water, dab your brush into some of the leftover water on your fingers and then into the foundation. Apply in an upward motion. It gives you a more natural look and it lasts all day!

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Make sure you get foundation that matches your skin, and concealer that is one shade lighter than your skin tone. Maybe you don't need as much coverage, like Amanda said, but if you do, I know it sounds preachy, but MMU helps so many people, and makes me look alive, haha. I second the MMU! Give it a try, it may just surprise you!

Hi,

Don't use the concealer before the foundation, always after. You will find that you won't need as much. If your skin is looking better without makeup, maybe you're using too much foundation. Trying thinning it out with moisturizer (making a lightweight tinted moisturizer). Once the foundation/moisturizer has settled/dried, then apply your concealer and if needed, lightly dust on the powder.

Try to remember that makeup is supposed to be fun, not a chore. If you're feeling frustrated during the process, this will reflect in your application.

great advices !! but maybe as previously said, you could try mixing your foundation with your moisturizer, apply concealer where needed (always apply it after the foundation) and set with powder.

also try mineral makeup it does wonders.

Hi,
Don't use the concealer before the foundation, always after. You will find that you won't need as much. If your skin is looking better without makeup, maybe you're using too much foundation. Trying thinning it out with moisturizer (making a lightweight tinted moisturizer). Once the foundation/moisturizer has settled/dried, then apply your concealer and if needed, lightly dust on the powder.

I beleive my skin look better without foundation. but its just...i have uneven skin tone. not that UNEVEN but..you know. but i need to cover my acne marks. i have thousand of them. trust me. if i post my pic here. i think you guys...will...get disgusted. so i didnt post any. any ideas how. or should i just mix my foundation with my moisturizer? then apply my concealer. hey is mac concealer good?

I was never a fan of foundation becausee I've seen it look cakey on others but like everyone else adding moisturizer to your foundation should do the trick!

I have really bad dark circles, & I put my foundation on first then I do the concealer under my eyes... it seems to work best with me.

Latest posts

Back