I Just Got Contacts! Should I be aware of anything - makeup wise?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you know, i've been going through a rough breakup. And we all do crazy things when this happens, and I usually cut my hair or do something new but I had already cut off 12 inches in January. Soooo I decided to get contacts, since i've been wearing glasses for the last 5 years. I love my glasses but I'd like to have a new look every now and then.

Do you guys have advice for makeup now that I have contacts? I know some people get mascara on their contacts etc., or if there if there is a certain way that eyeliner or colors look better without glasses. Also, my eyes seem a lot smaller now to me when I wear contacts!

I also have a skin care concern...since now my dark circles are more noticeable without my glasses. I'm trying a lot of different products for this (because of the samples i've been getting from my monthly boxes) but i'm not sure what works the best. I know it's not sleep related because i've been getting enough sleep lately now that I'm taking Valerian root.

Any advice would be great :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

take you eye makeup off after you remove your contacts. i noticed that when i use my eye makeup remover my contacts tend to feel oily. wash your hands when you put on and take off your contacts. if you paint your nails at night i suggest using your glasses instead of your contacts. it's a pain in the butt taking off your contacts when your nails aren't fully dry

mmm... that's all i can think of. if there's anything else, i'll be sure to post it

definitely remove the contacts before using any eye makeup remover or stuff where you're rubbing your eyes.

The main product you want to be careful for is mascaras with fibers in them are usually not contact safe since if they get onto your contacts, they can get stuck on them.  (The mascara that has little pieces in them to try to lengthen your lashes)

Always put your contacts in before you apply makeup, if you don't then little particles can get in between the contact and your eye and scratch it or just be bothersome in general. If you get any makeup on your contact most the time you can take it out and clean it. I'm sure you've been told how to clean them but you can put the contact in the middle of your palm, then you put a couple drops of solution in it and roll it around using your finger. You can use some pressure but obviously don't do it too hard that you rip it or anything. If you don't know what i mean by all that I'm sure i can find a video or something. 

I don't really know about the dark circles other then concealer. My eye makeup is normally heavy enough and my contacts are pretty distracting (special colored contacts from asia) so you don't even look at the bags under my eyes.

Agree with the oil thing and make up remover. Same if you use any around eye serums that are kind of oily.

Some eye care lotions irritated me when I wore contacts.  I just had to use less product and wait a few more minutes before I put on my contacts.

Now that you do have contacts the make up rules still apply - practice often and play them up.  That's all.  There is no magic to contacts vs. glasses.  Its whatever you want.

If your seem smaller, you can just use eyeliner on your eyelid and play with a cat eye look.  Color is color and do what you want. 

If anything invest in a magnified mirror to help you apply the mascara so that you dont go too close to the eyeballs/contacts.

I may have to do this, since I generally put on eye cream in the morning before I leave the house, sometimes I put it on at night but mostly in the morning.

Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some eye care lotions irritated me when I wore contacts.  I just had to use less product and wait a few more minutes before I put on my contacts.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

definitely remove the contacts before using any eye makeup remover or stuff where you're rubbing your eyes.

The main product you want to be careful for is mascaras with fibers in them are usually not contact safe since if they get onto your contacts, they can get stuck on them.  (The mascara that has little pieces in them to try to lengthen your lashes)

Not just fiber mascaras, but also glitter products. You shouldn't be using glitter liners on the waterline anyway, but if you have been able to get away with that before, you won't now. Glitter could easily fall into your eye and work it's way under your contacts and irritate, possibly even scratching your cornea. So be careful of any products with small pieces like fibers or glitters. Oh and you will want to be careful of many mascaras since so many tend to flake by the end of the day...again it's those small pieces that can wind up on or under contacts. Hopefully you already have a holy grail mascara that doesn't do this.

Also my favorite eyeliner is Milani Liquif'eye, but I don't do the waterline anyway, and I've heard from contact lens wearers that this one tends to get on contacts and smear if it's on the waterline. So you'll really have to be careful of products on the waterline if you are one who likes to do that with your liner.

I prefer to put my contacts in before I put my makeup on and take them off after I take my makeup off. I find putting them in after makeup is just asking to get mascara on them. And taking them out before you take your makeup off is the same way, at least for me because I have long eyelashes. I dont' feel like it makes my contacts oily but I just use a makeup remover wipe and not a liquid to remove my eye makeup so that could be the difference. Be careful using eyeliner on your inner rims because of transference and dry eyes. And ALL makeup looks better with contacts :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back