I need advice...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love makeup and beauty products!  That is why I am fascinated by these monthly beauty subscriptions.  My problem is that I, like many of you, do not have the money to just throw away on these crappy ones.  I am a legally blind, stay at home mom of 2 little boys.  My husband works his butt off for us to have what we need.  I have tried Birchbox twice and cancelled.  I have tried My Glam and cancelled.  Most recently I subscribed to Glossybox, which i was so excited for, and I just cancelled it.  I got May and I loved it, BUT I haven't even gotten Jue box and have already been charged for July.  The only one that I got and have kept is the QVC NBTT.  I really want to get a montly box so that I can have a surprise each month.  I am hoping to get some of your opinions about which ones you think are really worth the money.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

I'm a big fan of Beauty Army myself, because when there is a problem they own up to it. When the very few issues I have had did arise, they were on top of it and more than made up to me for any inconvenience I may have had. That one is $12 per month. I like that you get to choose your samples from a list of 12. You get 5 days to pick, and it looks like they rotate products by day during that window. If you don't select, they'll pick a set for you, or you can elect to skip the month. I have never done this, however, and I'm not sure what all it entails.

I also hold BeautyBar Sample Society in very high regard, in part for their very quick shipping and because their customer service is just delightful. This one is $15 per month; everyone gets the same samples, though I understand that for July people were getting different shades of the same brand of lip pencil. While it's pricier than Birchbox, the samples for the most part are bigger. One of my first shipments had a 2 oz or so Fekkai glossing cream, and I'm still using it with plenty remaining. Also, each month provides a coupon code so you can go to the website, and buy any product from the month's featured brands at $15 off. That alone has made it worth the price for me!

Beauty Army has been getting better with makeup samples in recent months, but it is a little more driven toward skin care. They also have stepped up fragrance samples. If you're a perfume junkie like me, it's a little whiff of heaven but I know a lot of people have issues with perfume. No subscription is going to be predominantly makeup, unfortunately! The vast majority if them are mostly skin care, it's a matter of finding the ones with the best sizes for your money.

If you're looking for make up, starbox is a make up box. There is a thread on here for them, I believe it is 15/month. 

How is the quality of Starbox, to your knowledge? I'm afraid when I first heard about it, the first thing that came to mind were the substandard items that Cosmetique offers, though I'm willing now to give a new service a try. I don't recommend Cosmetique, incidentally--the makeup is garbage and they have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is the quality of Starbox, to your knowledge? I'm afraid when I first heard about it, the first thing that came to mind were the substandard items that Cosmetique offers, though I'm willing now to give a new service a try. I don't recommend Cosmetique, incidentally--the makeup is garbage and they have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
Vee said hers was decent...there's a thread on it, but I'm not sure how many folks here have subbed to it.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like Calexxia said, I don't think we have many subbers. From what I can tell, it's decent. I don't think it is for me, I'd rather save up my 15 a month and spend it on colors/products I really want when it comes to make up, but it has been all make up in all of them. Eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipglosses, etc. I think they have all had 3-4 make up products so far, which were obviously full sized. Of course, you aren't getting to experiment with brands through starbox, but if you are looking for make up only, it seems to be ok (so far). 

Latest posts

Back