I need help with mascara

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
will someone give me a turorial or point me in the right direction? I've tried many different masceras with many different brushes. I know it's trial and error, but I'm seriously confused. I get them separated but chunky...black, but not curled, etc.

Gah. help?

Originally Posted by beccajelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif What look are you trying to achieve? curled, fairly dramatic (not completely natural). My natural lashes don't curl well at all. I'm probably doing it wrong.

My advice would be to simply curl your lashes with an eyelash curler (since your real lashes don't curl like you want em, try heating the lash curler with a blow dryer and then curl) and when applying your mascara, gently tilt your head back so that you can prevent clumps and your now curled lashes won't catch your skin and you have mascara on your lids. Makes sense??

p.s. Another piece of advice would be to simply buy some lash primer to prep the lashes and then apply your mascara.

Originally Posted by La_Mari /img/forum/go_quote.gif What are your lashes like without mascara? light brown, decent length (but by no means "long"), thin, and barely there.
smile.gif

I want somethign to hold a curl and volumize.

definitely curl lashes. shu uemura's is a great one. use a primer like shiseido's (click here to see pics) and use two different mascaras: one for volumizing (like l'oreal's voluminous) and one for lengthening (like maybelline's define-a-lash). a mascara that claims to be 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 is usually too good to be true.

i hope that helps!

Have you tried heating up your eye lash curler for a few seconds with a blow dryer first? It sort of helps set the curl in your lashes like a curling iron curls your hair. I've heard that Clinique's Lash Primer is really good (from Pursebuzz.com). You should try that.
smile.gif

I personally love Maybelline's Volume Express in Very Black for mascara and waterproof (b/c I'm a sap).

Also another trick with applying mascara is to wiggle the brush back and forth in between your lashes rather than just from the lash line out. So while you're applying from the lash line out to the end of your lashes, wiggle the wand back and forth. This is supposed to prevent clumping.

You can also try wiping off excess mascara off your wand before applying.

I just thought of something else, when you are curling your lashes, how are you doing the curling? Are you just clamping once and letting go? Or are you gradually curling the lash all the way down the length of your lashes? I usually get as close to my lash line as possible, then move the curler a little bit further away, curl, move further away, curl, and so on until i get to end end of my lashes for a gradual curl effect rather than a crimp.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!!!

Maybelline Volume express really does thicken. But also what comes with it, is the lashes are weighed down sometimes.

Mascara is my love in makeup - it seriously makes a difference.

If I want dramatic lashes without using false ones this is my step:

- Curl lashes (I honestly, rarely do this because I forget too but it does make a slight difference.)

- I use a mascara primer, the brand doesn't matter for me - but what you have to do is just swipe the wand at the tips of lashes pulling up creating long white strands. Get the very end of your lashes too.

- I really like stiff bristle type of mascara wands like L'Oreal Telescopic or the ones from MAX Factor. The trick is to go slowly so you won't form lumpy/spider lashes (biggest pet peeves). Pass the wand through the lashes making a left/right motion slowly and at the tips - make sure to cover the primer. At the end of your lashes, with the wand hold those lashes and bend them a bit to create a cat-eye effect. Andi had that wonderful tip that made a difference.

- Go lightly with mascara on lower lashes, it doesn't need much. If you put a lot, it will just create the spider lashes look.

Hope it helps.

If you've got extremely staight lashes (like me). I second curling them. You will also want to strongly consider using a mascara that is going to keep the curl after all your hard work. Two great mascaras I've found to do this are (and I've tried everything from DiorShow to Clinique to Estee Lauder to Covergirl): Sky High Curves (Waterproof) by Maybelline and MegaWink by Wet n Wild. With Sky High you'll need an oil based makeup remover (e.g. babyoil I've found is the cheapest and best option). With MegaWink I did need to curl my lashes with a heated lash curler after I applied it, BUT it does wash off with soap and water.

I would first try out Sky High, coating your lashes with one coat only. THEN, apply something like Maybelline XXL. Be diligent with brushing and combing your lashes between coats. You'll be getting that false eyelash look in no time
wink.gif
. MegaWink doesn't make the greatest base, but is great for curled, medium lashes (think ok for daytime).

Latest posts

Back