I think I´m about to go crazy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had at least one nervous breakdown the past few days. I have this huge exam coming up on June 30th. as some of you know I´m in Med school, and over here we have this stupid new curriculum where we have only ONE exam (written, multiple choice) at the end of each school year. and we have to know everything we did that year for the exam. they ask us the tiniest facts, percentages and a bunch of unimportant crap that most doctors don´t even know.

the thing is: the tuition fees for any kind of college are pretty low here ($350 for a semester, no matter what college it is-and it even used to be for free 4 years ago!), so a lot more people can go, which is good b/c everybody should have the chance to get the kind of education he/she wants.

but: because college used to be for free and even now we only pay so little money for it almost all colleges are broke. especially the med schools are (there are only 3 in austria, the biggest is in Vienna where I go to). so they have to make the exams extra hard to kick a big part of the students out after the first year cause they can´t afford to have many students.

so here in vienna we start out at about 1500 med students the 1st semester, this is being reduced to 600 after the first exam. I´m in the 4th semester now and my upcoming, 2nd exam had very bad results last year (86% failed!!!). dunno why they make the exam after the 2nd year that hard again-after all our country shouldn´t want to run out of doctors one day!

I mean, I studied throughout the year, tried to memorize everything and now I´m starting to go nuts-I forgot so many things already. I´m just human, how are you supposed to be able to memorize about 4000 pages down to the smallest facts? I feel like med school is driving me into therapy. my brain is so full of stuff that I feel there´s no room for more, but there are so many more things I have to memorize.

I really want to bang my head against the wall right now
icon_mad.gif

sorry for the long post-I go on everyone´s nerves with that topic so I figured I´d go on y´alls nerves too
icon_cheesygrin.gif

All i can say is that,You can do it Andrea.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Try to relax a bit ,i know easier said then done,but your so wonderful and i belive good things happen to good people.I wish you lot and lots of luck,and your not bothering anyone,mut is home for you and all of us!
wink.gif

Oh wow!! Realx relax realx!!! I'm sure you'll do fine. It sounds like you've spent a lot of time studying so have confidence in your knowledge, and MAKE THAT EXAM FEAR YOU!!!

awww arielle... it's ok to go crazy. it's understandable since it's a hard test. you've gotten this far, i'm sure you will do well!

Andrea I'm sure you'll do really really well. Try not to worry too much about it as that will only freak you out more. We'll all keep you in our thoughts for the exam
smile.gif

what in the med field are you going for?

you seem like such a bright person and you said you've studied, so try not to worry. think about it like this: IF you do fail, that's okay. failing only makes you stronger and you'll do better next time. no one's perfect.

you'll do fine, though. GOOD LUCK!!! calm down
icon_cheesygrin.gif

aw thanks so much girls! I´ve calmed down a bit (watched Sex & the city, that helped a lot). it just gets too much for me sometimes and I´m not good at dealing with stress b/c I stress about the stress *lol*and Charmaine, I didn´t know you´re supposed to recreate the exam situation. I´m studying on a hard chair on a tiny desk (so yeah, it´s exactly like school
biggrin.gif
)

oh, and MuT always helps me to relax-it´s almost like therapy
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer what in the med field are you going for?
you seem like such a bright person and you said you've studied, so try not to worry. think about it like this: IF you do fail, that's okay. failing only makes you stronger and you'll do better next time. no one's perfect.

you'll do fine, though. GOOD LUCK!!! calm down
icon_cheesygrin.gif

what do you mean what am I going for? I think med school in the US is for future nurses and doctors, right? over here it´s just for people who want to become doctors, and there are seperate nurses schools. don´t know on what I want to specialize yet-I have another 4 years to go ;-)
and I do know what it means to fail-that´s what makes me so scared of the exam. I failed twice on the first exam (and they make you take a one-year-long break from school if you don´t make it the first or second time, that sucked so bad).

maybe I should try to meditate *lol* but I think I´m even too nervous for that
biggrin.gif

Awww hun, i'm sure you'll be fine.

I know it's easy to say, but don't let it stress you out too much. Just do the best you can and know that you have tried your hardest.

Wishing the bestest of luck for it!

And SATC - fantastic way to de-stress!

Originally Posted by Arielle what do you mean what am I going for? I think med school in the US is for future nurses and doctors, right? over here it´s just for people who want to become doctors, and there are seperate nurses schools. don´t know on what I want to specialize yet-I have another 4 years to go ;-)
and I do know what it means to fail-that´s what makes me so scared of the exam. I failed twice on the first exam (and they make you take a one-year-long break from school if you don´t make it the first or second time, that sucked so bad).

maybe I should try to meditate *lol* but I think I´m even too nervous for that
biggrin.gif

ah, sorry! that's what i meant. what do you wanna specialize in? LOL!
you failed, so you know what you need to do now. are you weak in anything that you know you need to study your ass off for?

Originally Posted by Jennifer ah, sorry! that's what i meant. what do you wanna specialize in? LOL!
you failed, so you know what you need to do now. are you weak in anything that you know you need to study your ass off for?

yep, I know my weaknesses
tongue.gif
hysiology and pharmacology *hate it!!* I´ve focused on that, but the things that I don´t like are the hardest ones to memorize.
and I might specialize on cardiology or oncology (but that´s probably gonna be touch for a sensitive person like me)

Originally Posted by Charmaine Oh I had a great oncologist! That field is pretty interesting...I think you would be great at that. when my bro had leukaemia I visited him at the hospital very often and got to know some oncologists there. I was impressed by how nice, caring and down to earth they were (I mean they have to be, considering the field they work in).
what I like about this is that patients are so tahnkful when they recover from their disease and I know if the patient is a kid the parents will be even more thankful. but I´m not sure if I could handle seeing so many people die from cancer and there´s nothing you could do about it

Originally Posted by Arielle I have had at least one nervous breakdown the past few days. I have this huge exam coming up on June 30th. as some of you know I´m in Med school, and over here we have this stupid new curriculum where we have only ONE exam (written, multiple choice) at the end of each school year. and we have to know everything we did that year for the exam. they ask us the tiniest facts, percentages and a bunch of unimportant crap that most doctors don´t even know.
the thing is: the tuition fees for any kind of college are pretty low here ($350 for a semester, no matter what college it is-and it even used to be for free 4 years ago!), so a lot more people can go, which is good b/c everybody should have the chance to get the kind of education he/she wants.

but: because college used to be for free and even now we only pay so little money for it almost all colleges are broke. especially the med schools are (there are only 3 in austria, the biggest is in Vienna where I go to). so they have to make the exams extra hard to kick a big part of the students out after the first year cause they can´t afford to have many students.

so here in vienna we start out at about 1500 med students the 1st semester, this is being reduced to 600 after the first exam. I´m in the 4th semester now and my upcoming, 2nd exam had very bad results last year (86% failed!!!). dunno why they make the exam after the 2nd year that hard again-after all our country shouldn´t want to run out of doctors one day!

I mean, I studied throughout the year, tried to memorize everything and now I´m starting to go nuts-I forgot so many things already. I´m just human, how are you supposed to be able to memorize about 4000 pages down to the smallest facts? I feel like med school is driving me into therapy. my brain is so full of stuff that I feel there´s no room for more, but there are so many more things I have to memorize.

icon_mad.gif

sorry for the long post-I go on everyone´s nerves with that topic so I figured I´d go on y´alls nerves too
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I believe in u girl!
i also have an exam on June 30th too~ but definately not as high pressured as u are
frown.gif
I 'am taking an exam to apply for Business School, so this what i usually do when i am freaked:

1) i stock up on energy drinks. i am not so sure if this is healthy for u, but on all my exams, i have been able to sleep for 2 hours max cause of these drinks. try to find ones that have special ingredients like Guarana instead of plain caffeine

2) expresso is my best friend. worst case scenario, i have had 4 shots of expresso and i was happy as a clam!

3) do u know anyone who has taken it? usually i study w/ someone who has taken such exam, and try to suck up as much info from them
smile.gif

goodluck!

*hugs* u're not gonna get weeded out!

First of all, try to relax!
7_5_134.gif

I know how stressful school can be but if you stress yourself out, you will just make yourself a wreck. Make sure you take care of yourself because I know that you will do great.

Hang in there!

Originally Posted by Arielle

I have had at least one nervous breakdown the past few days. I have this huge exam coming up on June 30th. as some of you know I´m in Med school, and over here we have this stupid new curriculum where we have only ONE exam (written, multiple choice) at the end of each school year. and we have to know everything we did that year for the exam. they ask us the tiniest facts, percentages and a bunch of unimportant crap that most doctors don´t even know.

icon_mad.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Go go go go go you can do it!!! I have FAITH In you gurrrrrrrl!

thanks sooo much everybody. today´s a new day and I´m sooo relaxed *lol* lets see how I feel in a few hours. my moods change like the weather

thanks for listening and all the nice comments. luv you guys :icon_love

Aww! You poor thing! Must be really difficult for you... but honestly - I found that the more I tried to cram & memorize, the more I would forget or get confused. Just skim through - take notes on important facts, and try to put a scenario, words, sentences or mental images to things to help you rememeber.
icon_wink.gif
But the more you relax and try to clear your mind, the easier things will come to you when you are taking the test.

GOOD LUCK!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have had at least one nervous breakdown the past few days. I have this huge exam coming up on June 30th. as some of you know I´m in Med...
All I can tell you is believe in yourself..if you visualize you are going to do great you will..just block all those negative thoughts!!! I know you can do it! If you have made it this far I know you can finish it!! :icon_love

Latest posts

Back