I took one look at my collection...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what? I think I'm going to try this no-buy thing. I don't have a huge collection of makeup but I think I need to start trying to use up some of the eye shadows I have. I've kind of developed a weakness for that. I also have some perfumes I'd like to rediscover and maybe start reducing the amount I have. I have quite a bit of nail polish. Currently I have about 25. I feel like that's silly to have that many. It's easy for things to get out of hand I guess. When I actually looked at the stuff I had I was a little ashamed. I'll look at it this way. Using up stuff will allow me to maybe replace it with new things responsibly so I don't run into this situation again. I've never done this before so I don't know how it's going to pan out.  I'm going to do this Today-April. I'll see how well I do and see if I need to continue this. I'm going for using up perfumes, nail polish, and makeup. If I run out of something I need and don't have backups I'll allow that one thing to be replaced but that's it.

Now would be the perfect time to start! It is really, really easy for things to get out of hand. Good luck, we've got a little support group right here to keep each other in check! Anyone can feel free to post here when they're feeling tempted to get some support! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by greenapril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know what? I think I'm going to try this no-buy thing. I don't have a huge collection of makeup but I think I need to start trying to use up some of the eye shadows I have. I've kind of developed a weakness for that. I also have some perfumes I'd like to rediscover and maybe start reducing the amount I have. I have quite a bit of nail polish. Currently I have about 25. I feel like that's silly to have that many. It's easy for things to get out of hand I guess. When I actually looked at the stuff I had I was a little ashamed. I'll look at it this way. Using up stuff will allow me to maybe replace it with new things responsibly so I don't run into this situation again. I've never done this before so I don't know how it's going to pan out.  I'm going to do this Today-April. I'll see how well I do and see if I need to continue this. I'm going for using up perfumes, nail polish, and makeup. If I run out of something I need and don't have backups I'll allow that one thing to be replaced but that's it.

I'm starting to think I actually HAVE to do this. I'm going to New York this weekend though, and how am I going to not buy stuff there??!! 

I'm going to spend the month sorting through my stash, organizing it, not adding to it. Maybe I will find some nice things in the stuff I already have. I am going to need this support forum SO BAD.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm starting to think I actually HAVE to do this. I'm going to New York this weekend though, and how am I going to not buy stuff there??!! 

I'm going to spend the month sorting through my stash, organizing it, not adding to it. Maybe I will find some nice things in the stuff I already have. I am going to need this support forum SO BAD.

Don't be too hard on yourself--start your no-buy AFTER you get back! I've been thinking of a no-buy for a while, but there was NO way I was gonna go to LA and NOT go to CCO, so I knew it would've been foolish to do it before I left.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't be too hard on yourself--start your no-buy AFTER you get back! I've been thinking of a no-buy for a while, but there was NO way I was gonna go to LA and NOT go to CCO, so I knew it would've been foolish to do it before I left.

Good call! I really don't need to be shopping at all, but DC just doesn't have the shopping scene NYC has, so how can I resist? :p 

Last fall, maybe September-ish the ONLY stuff I owned (beauty product related) was 1 foundation, 1 powder compact, 1 mascara, 1 eyeliner, a foundation brush, a powder brush, some lipgloss/chapstick, a handful of shampoos/conditioners and one hair serum. Now, all thanks to one of my friends, I JUST.CANT.STOP.BUYING!!! In a matter of 5/6 months this is how much I've acquired: I'm already Glam Status 3 on Too Faced's website... Granted I do wait for their double point sales but still. This is NOT OKAY.

I took one look at my financial statements and realized I need a no-buy also. Too many eBay/Sephora charges!

It's so hard though, especially Sephora. It'd be easier if they'd ban me from their site. (The closest Sephora to me is in a mall that has the worst parking lot so I rarely go there)

At least we will all have the support we need! If we get REALLY desperate we can trade around the group for new products lol. I have so much unopened stuff.

That is an awesome idea! Anything to help get through this no-buy. 

At least we will all have the support we need! If we get REALLY desperate we can trade around the group for new products lol. I have so much unopened stuff.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is an awesome idea! Anything to help get through this no-buy. 

Yeah, it would be fun. I'm going to purposely save some products for when I get SO DESPERATE I just can't take it anymore. 

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really really want the all over glow shimmer strip by Physicians Formula in Waikiki strip! LOL

lol but do you NEED it??? This is going to be my new phrase. Also "Where the heck are you going to put that?"

I confess; since no-buy starts tomorrow, I did go and pick up a couple of Revlon Lip Butters today since there was an ECB deal on them. Maybe we should start a thread on "I used such and such for the first time today"?

lol but do you NEED it??? This is going to be my new phrase. Also "Where the heck are you going to put that?"

well I dont NEED it, i just really WANT it! LOL

I would wear it on my eyes. I use my eye makeup as an accessory. It's also pretty to look at it, I held on in my hands yesterday and almost bought it! LOL

I confess; since no-buy starts tomorrow, I did go and pick up a couple of Revlon Lip Butters today since there was an ECB deal on them. Maybe we should start a thread on "I used such and such for the first time today"?

There is a thread on what I used from my stash today, but I think a no-buy specific "I used such and such" thread will be a great idea! 

yes we should!

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well I dont NEED it, i just really WANT it! LOL

I would wear it on my eyes. I use my eye makeup as an accessory. It's also pretty to look at it, I held on in my hands yesterday and almost bought it! LOL

STOP TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT, lol. 

Hey ladies! I started a no-buy support thread for the month of March. Let's do this thang!

Back