Iced Tea, American Style

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in LOVE with American Iced Tea.. Here in Canada, iced tea is either Nestea, Brisk or anything along those lines. When I drink it I just feel like I'm drinking another sugary juice.

Today it hit me that I can make REAL iced tea at home (duh) I checked online and found a few recipes.. But the majority of them don't specify the brand of tea you should use. Or require WAY too much sugar.

I'm just curious if any of you ladies have any good recipes for traditional iced tea. Preferably something with little to no sugar.

I use Lipton and then once its done steeping add sugar to taste. Sometimes I'll even through in fresh mint leaves to give it a twist on taste or some slices of lemon or even both. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Lipton and then once its done steeping add sugar to taste. Sometimes I'll even through in fresh mint leaves to give it a twist on taste or some slices of lemon or even both. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks so much!

Whats your tea bag to water ratio? lol, how scientific sounding of me
yey.gif

No idea, I boil a pot of water and I put 5 - 6 teabags in. Once it's steeped, I pour that into a pitcher with some sugar and add cool water until I get to the strength I want. Nothing scientific about it, it's all done to individual taste

I make an ice tea 'concentrate' and when I want some, I add ice and additional water. This way, I don't have to make it as often. I boil a pot of water, approx 6 cups and 12 tea bags and a cup of sugar. In a pitcher, I add 3cups ice and the juice of 3 lemons. When steeped and sugar melted and water is boiling for about 5 minutes, I pour into pitcher. The ice cools the tea and I put in fridge. When I want some, I pour ice and some water and my tea concentrate.

Originally Posted by BombDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Everyone,

I'm in LOVE with American Iced Tea.. Here in Canada, iced tea is either Nestea, Brisk or anything along those lines. When I drink it I just feel like I'm drinking another sugary juice.

Today it hit me that I can make REAL iced tea at home (duh) I checked online and found a few recipes.. But the majority of them don't specify the brand of tea you should use. Or require WAY too much sugar.

I'm just curious if any of you ladies have any good recipes for traditional iced tea. Preferably something with little to no sugar.
I have never taken my tea with sugar. My grandpa used to give me tea with spoonfuls of brown sugar in it when I was little...so I always wonder why I like mine unsweet lol. I just do what everyone else pretty much said, boil tea bags (I never have a certain number, I just throw some in) in water and make it really strong and add water and ice. Loose tea works, too, you just need to have a good mesh strainer. Our farmer's market makes a delicious unsweetened peach iced tea and it is SO good. I can't quite get mine to taste as good, though. As for little to no sugar, I suggest mixing no added sugar fruit juices or putting cut up fresh fruit in the pitcher with the tea. I usually just take mine with a squeeze of lemon, though.

Similar to what the other ladies have stated, I don't go by a recipe or teabag to water ratio, I just 'eyeball' it, so to speak. A big pot of water, about 8-10 teabags, sugar to taste, and fresh squeezed lemon. Or you can mix it with some lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer. That is quite delish.

I'm Canadian, I know what you're talking about
icon_cheesygrin.gif
The BEST iced tea I've EVEREVER made was...

Tazo passion tea 2 bags

Organic green tea 1 bag

4-5 cups distilled water

It's better than Starbucks. After pouring into a nice tall glass I add a tsp. of raw organic sugar.

Originally Posted by DBGenevieve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm Canadian, I know what you're talking about
icon_cheesygrin.gif
The BEST iced tea I've EVEREVER made was...

Tazo passion tea 2 bags

Organic green tea 1 bag

4-5 cups distilled water

It's better than Starbucks. After pouring into a nice tall glass I add a tsp. of raw organic sugar.
Thanks so much! That sounds great =) I'm totally going to try this out!

I am from a small town in South Texas.  I have to tell you I have to make a gallon of sweet tea for my family every 2 days.

I buy the Lipton (or store brand) Family Size Bags. Remember this recipe is for a gallon of sweet tea.

Boil 4 cups of water and add 3-4 family size bags (6-8 regular teabags)

Fill up gallon size pitcher with water and 1 1/4 cups of sugar

Let the tea steep for 10-30 minutes

Pour together and stir, then put in the fridge.

(I hate sweet tea, I prefer Crystal Light haha)

I make gallon jars of "refrigerator tea":  Any brand of family sized tea bags (I usually use Luzianne) and I use four of the large tea bags (or about 16 of the regular) per gallon of water. Just put the bags in the jar, fill it up with water, and let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours.

It is lighter and smoother than tea made with boiling water and super easy. If it's not strong enough for your taste, you can either use more teabags or add the water while it's hot. I don't sweeten until I'm ready to drink it.

I'm an eyeballer when it comes to making iced tea...but I usually do the hot water and steep multiple bags, then a little cool water and chill in the fridge. I like my tea strong and and with lemon! Usually don't sweeten my iced tea, but I do like sweet tea on occasion lol. It's also fun to mix  up the flavors every now and then..

I've always called that "cold brew" iced tea. It has less tannin flavor and is really good without sweetener. If I feel a need for sweetener I use Truvia. I really don't like to include sugar in my diet if I can help it.

I make gallon jars of "refrigerator tea":  Any brand of family sized tea bags (I usually use Luzianne) and I use four of the large tea bags (or about 16 of the regular) per gallon of water. Just put the bags in the jar, fill it up with water, and let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours. It is lighter and smoother than tea made with boiling water and super easy. If it's not strong enough for your taste, you can either use more teabags or add the water while it's hot. I don't sweeten until I'm ready to drink it.

Latest posts

Back