If you can't find the right foundation shade...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you can't find the perfect foundation shade, would you go for slightly lighter or slightly darker? Which is better?

Being paler than pale, I'll usually opt for a tad darker, but hopefully in the same tone. Some mineral makeups are amazingly forgiving as far as shade, but do try to get the skintone right, or you'll look kind of - awful.

Lumiere's colours in FF, Veena and Cashmere tend to run a lot lighter than other brands. If you're on the darker side, not sure who to recommend. But I'm a big Lumi fan, and you may not be.

I use Everyday Minerals, and I do have a very very good match with Beige Fairly Light Intensive layered with Golden Light Matte. But sometimes I find it a tiny, tiny bit dark, like less than half a shade. But it's pretty close. I tried making it a bit lighter with Golden Fair but it came out a tiny bit too light. But both shades looked fine and it's not noticeable, but I'm wondering which would be better.

i'd go lighter. i hate it when my face is one color and my neck is a completely different shade. i feel like a weirdo. :]

I'd say go with the lighter one since it will probably match your neck better and you can always use a little bronzer to add some color!

Lighter if I had to choose, although it sometimes also works to get both and then mix.

better to be on the lighter shade, I guess
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by KristinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif I always choose lighter so that it matches my neck better. me too. i have a shade lighter neck so if i went darker the difference would be too noticeable.

Originally Posted by Lauren /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd say go with the lighter one since it will probably match your neck better and you can always use a little bronzer to add some color! I agree. Use the lighter one and add a soft bronzer and/or blush for warming your face
smile.gif

I would go lighter. I believe Fyrinnae sells a lightener or darkener to add to your existing foundation to tweak your shade of foundation.

Originally Posted by togal /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would go lighter. I believe Fyrinnae sells a lightener or darkener to add to your existing foundation to tweak your shade of foundation. I also wanted to add that you can "tweak" your foundation. Silk Naturals sells white base on its own. You can also mix your own with three different base colours.
Lumiere also sells untinted base to lighten any colour.

Can you mix some colours together to get a proper match?

Aromaleigh has the perfect match for me, their Alabaster shade is ideal. As I'm very pale and I can never find a foundation pale enough, I usually go one shade darker, since I really have no other choice. My current foundation (which I'm really not happy with) is a shade darker. I've found that MMU is quite forgiving when it comes to being a shade off.

Originally Posted by Gavriela /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's often my same problem - there usually isn't a 'lighter' option. Try ordering some of Aromaleigh samples (they're cheap and come with free shipping and usually last about 3 applications). The company specializes in pale foundations. They're the only company I have ever found that has colors pale enough for me. Granted I'm still their palest shade but it's nice actually having options.

funny - my neck is slightly darker than parts of my face, but not than my forehead, so i go a little darker....but you have to see what's best for you.

Latest posts

Back