If you had to recommend ONE brush brand...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...preferably one that comes in a set that's nice and easy for a brush-dummy to pick up and pay for, what would you recommend? Where would I find it?

Right now I'm using a Mary Kay set and it's ok, but not for mineral makeup. They're not soft enough so my face is itchy when I'm done applying and they "shed" so I've got these little dark hairs all over after I put my makeup on!!

Thanks! -meg

I get my brushes at the art store!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
They're cheap, and they're GREAT!!!

I find most of them are exactly the same as what you would buy from a high end makeup line. Only they are usually less than $10 a piece *sometimes MUCH less than that * you should try some!
smile.gif

it is my opinion that the right brush makes blush application nearly foolproof. i take a big brush and apply blush on my cheekbone. the big brush distributes the blush evenly so you do not end up with a big line across your face! so go for a high quality big brush...i use a powder brush myself. maybe the other girls have some more suggestions. all i know is that i thought i was just terrible with makeup until i bought some brushes and ditched the shedding blush ones and the plastic and foam eyeshadow brushes (boy! are those atrocious!) i'm still learning, but buying some decent brushes definately opens your eyes to all the possibilities you can have with your makeup. as far as a brand of blush is concerned, there was a recent post about blush where people recommended their favorites. i'll try to find it and put a link here. a lot of girls recommended nars blushes, including me. hope this helps!

jessica

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I get my brushes at the art store!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I find most of them are exactly the same as what you would buy from a high end makeup line. Only they are usually less than $10 a piece *sometimes MUCH less than that * you should try some!
smile.gif

Me too! I have some taklon brushes from there that I bought for a school project, and they were so nice, I tried using the (unused!) brushes for concealer, and I like the result...I want one of those wispy fan brushes, the art ones are only about $6 while dept. store ones are $20+

Originally Posted by Trisha I'd pick Stila, i have nearly all our brushes and love them!
if you wanted mega luxury brushes Trish McEvoy make some gorgeous ones!

I'm with Trisha on this, I have most of the Stila ones, and about 6 Trish McEVoy ones. Most other brands I've tried haven't compared to either of these. Stila usually do good brush sets around the holidays, or you could see if you can get hold of the Anniversay brush set that was out recently.

Sonia Kashuk, available at Target! Great quality, natural hair brushes, for about 1/4 the price of Mac and similar brands! I think they have one or two sets (I know they have a travel set of short-handled brushes), but when the brushes are so inexpensive, you can afford to just buy the individual ones you want (which is what I've done). I have their powder brush, and at $12 that's their most expensive brush. The smaller brushes, like eyeshadow brushes, are $4-$6. I personally love their Small Eyeshadow Brush -- I'm not coordinated enough to apply eyeshadow where I want it with a large brush! lol Lately I've been replacing all of my cheap, synthetic hair brushes with Sonia Kashuk and I have noticed a difference, especially with the powder brush!

i just bought my first set of make up brushes, as before this i was using cheap ones and sponge applicators, and i have to say that after buying this set, there is a huge difference in how my make up looks now and wish i had invested in a good set years ago! Its by CHANEL, i know bit expensive but i got a good bargain off e-bay for 5 brushes, then wanted to complete the set and the same seller, a lovely lady offered me the other 5 much cheaper as a one off so i was really pleased. I was after MAC and stila brushes but chanel ones came my way at a price i could afford so i just invested in them, i dont know how other MAU members on here find these or think of these?!

;-)

i hear soni kushuck is a great set for not so much money.

if you want mac, they come out with brush sets every so often.

Originally Posted by girl_geek Sonia Kashuk, available at Target! Great quality, natural hair brushes, for about 1/4 the price of Mac and similar brands! I think they have one or two sets (I know they have a travel set of short-handled brushes), but when the brushes are so inexpensive, you can afford to just buy the individual ones you want (which is what I've done). I have their powder brush, and at $12 that's their most expensive brush. The smaller brushes, like eyeshadow brushes, are $4-$6. I personally love their Small Eyeshadow Brush -- I'm not coordinated enough to apply eyeshadow where I want it with a large brush! lol Lately I've been replacing all of my cheap, synthetic hair brushes with Sonia Kashuk and I have noticed a difference, especially with the powder brush! Totally agree 110%. I'm a new convert to SK brushes. They're awesome, and the price is unbeatable!!!

OMG Janelle, that is so CLEVER!!!! The only problem I would have with that is (the same as the poster) I wouldn't be able to pick out the right brushes....duh!!! I'm just learning all this great stuff.
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I get my brushes at the art store!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by suziqq322 OMG Janelle, that is so CLEVER!!!! The only problem I would have with that is (the same as the poster) I wouldn't be able to pick out the right brushes....duh!!! I'm just learning all this great stuff.
icon_redface.gif
Just start with a few basic ones... fluffy shadow brushes in a few different sizes, or a short stubby one for smudging and lining
wink.gif
They are usually cheap enough that you can afford some trial n' error
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have about 20 of them and it cost less than $50. Although I have one "high end" brush that I got at CCO for like $15.00 - but it seemed really nice. (The Stila #5)
wink.gif

MAC Brushes! I'd definitely wait out on the next brush sets they release... probably around the holidays.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine I really like MAC brushes but at the moment, they are not selling any brush sets. Out of all the brush sets I've seen MAC seem to put out the most useful beginners sets (in terms of brush shapes),it's just a shame they're quality doesn't match the variety. I think it's a good place to start though (I got my MAC set cheap from a Cosmetics Outlet), I loved the shapes and eventually replaced all of them with better brushes in a similar shape. I've found the MAC brushes that come in sets aren't as good as the individually bought ones, which in turn aren't as good as similar brushes from other brands.

Originally Posted by Lealabell Out of all the brush sets I've seen MAC seem to put out the most useful beginners sets (in terms of brush shapes),it's just a shame they're quality doesn't match the variety. I think it's a good place to start though (I got my MAC set cheap from a Cosmetics Outlet), I loved the shapes and eventually replaced all of them with better brushes in a similar shape. I've found the MAC brushes that come in sets aren't as good as the individually bought ones, which in turn aren't as good as similar brushes from other brands. I agree with you Lea... the brush set quality isn't the same as the regular size brushes, but as you said, its a good way to start, and its convienient to have all of the basic brushes you need in one set (for a reasonable price)! Overall however, I think that the regular MAC brushes are the greatest (another biased statement--hehe)!!

If you can invest in MAC, I recommend doing that. By one at a time and see how they work for you. I bought the Sonia Kashuk set for my sister and the quality is pretty good. It was $20 for 5 brushes and it came in a set.

Let us know what you decide to do.

wow, thanks! I think for the short term I'm gonna check out the SK brushes at target cuz I"m big on the convenience of sets and I don't have much to compare it to anyway! But, for long term, I like the sound of those Chanel brushes...The older I get (31, LOL!) I find that you really do get what you pay for and investing in quality is far better than being cheap and replacing it 10 times! thank you!

Definitely Stila and if you want to spend more go with Trish McEvoy, I love all the Stila brushes I have, so does my sister
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I also like some of the Smashbox brushes too.

To be honest, I think it's difficult to name just one brand as different brands have 'must have' brushes.

Latest posts

Back